Need a ASL/CMD to start a mission.

Well. This is just bad.

All this function does is force people into a commanding role who may not want to play ASL/CMD due to the fact they feel uncomfortable/inexperienced and even could be damaging health.

Again this is pointless and needs to be removed asap. and this "Update" wasn't even confirmed with other players of Ahoyworld.

(Reason for damaging to health is stress/anxiety)

Although I agree with the base comments that needing an asl is a bad idea (what if numbers are low and only one A ft is full) this stops the enjoyment and goes against the idea of putting marksman in asl because you have to have an asl you can instantly have a marksman again.

Although I would like to say that going as far as saying it's damaging health makes me want to tell you to get a grip and man up, if you can't handle being a leader then dont take the bloody role.

20 minutes ago, Ghostdragon said:

Although I agree with the base comments that needing an asl is a bad idea (what if numbers are low and only one A ft is full) this stops the enjoyment and goes against the idea of putting marksman in asl because you have to have an asl you can instantly have a marksman again.

Although I would like to say that going as far as saying it's damaging health makes me want to tell you to get a grip and man up, if you can't handle being a leader then dont take the bloody role.

You are being extremely insensitive, and its insulting (Yes i'm deeply insulted by your words and have lost some respect). Think before you post please.

I have know people who have gained mental instability from work which they could have left and got a less stressful job, but you cant understand someone and whats going on inside.

Most time when someone is bad at ASL/CMD people would throw insults at them, and that could be more then enough to push them over the edge.

You can easily say "man up". But guess what, that is not how you deal with metal health.

And since you need a ASL/CMD they could be easily forced in to that role.

Edited by Bloo Flar3
mental instability instead of suicide.

Forcing people to not be able to play the mission because no one is in squad lead is the wrong way to go. 

You can NOT force PEOPLE to play a role. That is not why we set eu3 up and this is way off the line for why we started this server.

i was there. I remember that day. And now this shit makes me sad. Forcing people into roles. Not allowing others to play the mission.

You are being extremely insensitive, and its insulting (Yes i'm deeply insulted by your words and have lost some respect). Think before you post please.

I have know people who have committing suicide from work which they could have left and got a less stressful job, but you cant understand someone and whats going on inside.

Most time when someone is bad at ASL/CMD people would throw insults at them, and that could be more then enough to push them over the edge.

You can easily say "man up". But guess what, that is not how you deal with metal health.

And since you need a ASL/CMD they could be easily forced in to that role.

This is where you are wrong. Arma is a game. Not a job yes people have committed suicide due to WORK related issues and I am sensitive to this. However with the internet and GAMES there is this marvelous thing called turning it off when it gets too much.

On another point usually the server is usually empty with people waiting to join the server in waiting room until it is populated there for no one is forced they take the role voluntarily thus meaning there is always an option.

For the record If everyone lived based on IF then nothing would ever get done. This is why I need a hard hat and high vis vest to put a plant pot up attached to my house (it's only a one story house)

@Ghostdragon

I'm not wrong at all. It might be a game, but it still can cause stress (I.E EVE online), {online bullying you can just leave that then it will not affect you, that sounds right too.} No you're wrong and you are causing so much rage within me its unreal that you cant understand.

You Can't Turn Off Mental Health

That Will be all i have to say on the Health issues.

and again all i have to say, People still shouldn't Have to take a commanding role if they don't want too.

(On PPE, i have to wear steel boots, hi-viz, hard hat, gloves, glasses when in a finished office building while installing desk leads #Overkill)

End of my posts on this thread.

Ghost - Although I would like to say that going as far as saying it's damaging health makes me want to tell you to get a grip and man up,

Its a trigger "Get a grip and man up" with how some people like to deal with Health and mental health issues, would like to say sorry for going ham on forums.

SL or not, there will always be someone in command. The command structure is outlined in the ruleset of EU#3, and there is no difference in responsibility between A1TL being highest ranking or ASL being highest ranking.

Most of the time, this is a non-issue, and in the rare event that nobody has taken any Team Lead or Squad Lead slots, I find it unlikely that there'd be enough people on-server for it to matter; that is if there's only 5 people around, just take the SL slot. Not like there's any pressure then, especially considering you're probably talking about a smaller group of friends.

My two cents with observations:

You're always going to need SOME form of command structure on EU 3 based on its rules, environment, and outstanding attention to tactical gameplay. If no leadership is available, you end up with having the EU 1 style infantry charges into the AO: very uncoordinated and always a bloody mess. However, does EU 3 need an ASL/CMD team for every operation? I'll be honest, I don't pick up in EU 3 that often, but based on my experiences, here and in previous environments, here's what I think.

It depends on how many players are doing the operation.

If you have 12+ people, there needs to be some form of leadership to give orders to the corresponding fire teams and vehicle assets, otherwise the offensive push can easily become a disorganized mess turning into an EU 1 style incident. Communication in these types of servers is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, and as the commander, one of your jobs is to keep that communication clear for everyone. Such a task can be stressful to those unseasoned with the role, but we live in a world of choice. You DONT have to be the commander, and if you're getting stressed out in that role, maybe you should step down. It's alright to, it's just a game after all. ON THE OTHER HAND I see that the OP is mentioning what I have seen in other threads about the growing toxicity within the EU 3 community, which honestly does need to be addressed at some point. If someone's brand new to their role, openly insulting them is not only not going to make them a better player, but actually deter them from ever playing again. I also see a lot of reoccurring themes in this thread coinciding with another very recent EU 3 thread, and if you're interested in debating this information i'll link that other thread below for you:

Now, if you have a small operation going on, 1-2 squads or fire teams, you honestly do not really need a command unit, and instead you can just have your squad leads coordinate with one another for communication. However, based on how EU 3 works, you could just fill the CMD unit and merge it with a different team, or form your own teams and carry on from there.

On a final note about OP's mental health argument, the only reason you should be experiencing unhealthy amounts of stress from a video game is if you're in an MLG or PvP community fighting for money or your virtual life, and seeing as how this is a PvE environment where you can leave at any time...I mean I get what you're saying about the insults and the stress but honestly, in the end it's just a game, but if people are bullying you, just report it to an admin and move on.

My thoughts, etc.

Mental health doesn't have to relate just to this. People are allowed and do have issues out width this community, the online world. And sometimes the online is a break away from that. So please keep that in mind when you relate the health issues to just the game type. They might not come from or even have anything to do with it.

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Mental health doesn't have to relate just to this. People are allowed and do have issues out width this community, the online world. And sometimes the online is a break away from that. So please keep that in mind when you relate the health issues to just the game type. They might not come from or even have anything to do with it.

I've burned out from more than one game by caring too much about it, nowadays I play to enjoy playing. If I'm not enjoying what I'm doing, I'll change roles or leave to do something else; much as I enjoy playing with the team, I hold no commitment to other peoples' enjoyment beyond the point it enhances my own. I make no apologies for just alt+f4'ing when the game goes in a direction I don't want it to.

WRT changes, I'm always in favour of trialling initially and, once they've been given a fair chance and evaluated by the player base, they can be considered for permanent adoption, reversion, or modification and retrial, by popular vote. If an idea isn't taken up, that's no slight on whoever came up with it and doesn't mean it's a bad idea; it simply didn't work here. Propose ideas freely, if taken up then great, if not, then never mind. I suffer a lot from difficulty in separating criticism of my ideas and opinions from criticism of myself, and looking around online, I'm seeing the same thing more and more all over the place; if we can get over that, I think great things could be achieved.

Thinking back over the last few days over the 'toxic' community comments, I can see a few occurrences where I could have done something different, or tried to help out more. Yesterday, Vortex was not performing anywhere near as well as it has with more experienced crews; there was a lot of complaining, but not a lot of consideration for the other side. It's not the experienced person's responsibility to train and mentor others who are less experienced; as I said above, I play to enjoy the game, and it would be hypocritical of me to expect others to do otherwise, but where someone is willing to learn, and someone willing to teach (as I often am when I have some valuable knowledge), I think this should be encouraged as much as possible.

What would the management team think of a number of Mentor slots on the server? Unconstrained by manning rules and loadout limitations, not counting towards any squad strength, which can be used to go along with pilots, leaders etc to allow, where someone is willing, an experienced person to shadow a newer player and guide them. These slots are clearly open to abuse, but I don't believe it would be hard to identify abuse and apply disciplinary process appropriately.