Helmets, CAS and Tanks: new guidelines

There have been a few things that have popped up lately during some EU3 sessions I've been a part of that I wanted to address.

1. Helmet usage

This is no longer optional if you are a front-line trooper.  If you are part of a recon team or a command element that is not expected to go into combat, you can swap for your C00L beret or L33T bandana if your C/O authorizes it.  Otherwise, the helmet is by default mandatory.  We've had people needlessly die from headshots that they could have otherwise survived.  Is it 100% effective?  No.  But without one it's 100% you'll straight out die.

Similarly, if you're a front line trooper you should be taking some form of body armor (SPC or IOTV for American forces, for example).  If you are a HAT trooper and you want to save the weight, you can probably make that case to your squad leader: but this assumes you are going to be staying far away from front line combat.

Dying stupidly puts the rest of your squad at risk, and we want to avoid that.

2. CAS cover

There is already a rule about CAS and I expect CAS pilots to respect it.  The whole purpose of playing on EU3 is to work as a team: if CAS goes too far away from the infantry it's expected to support, then it can't support them.  If CAS encounters ground-based AA threats, it shouldn't go after them by itself, it should vector ground units to deal with the threat.  Losing an Apache to ground fire is simply unacceptable.

3. Tanks

Hammer and Torch squads should really only be populated when we have a lot of players on the server and there is a significant tank threat.  This means a full Alpha, at least one specialized squad (HAT/MAT/MMG) and a Platoon Command to coordinate them; after these roles are filled, then Hammer and Torch can be filled.

The exception here is if a Commander (PC or ASL) feels it would be strategically better in a particular mission to use Hammer or Torch.

Similarly to CAS, Armor units must support and be supported by ground units.

Command

I just wanted to say I've seen some newer players taking up the mantle of ASL, and I've been impressed by what I see!

- R

May I suggest you hardcode the helmets into the arsenal restrictions? I know it is lot of work, but people still disobey these guidelines (and I am not in the mood to report them for it). Only thing I am scared that it will affect the performance of arsenal even more.

1 hour ago, RoyalSertr said:

May I suggest you hardcode the helmets into the arsenal restrictions? I know it is lot of work, but people still disobey these guidelines (and I am not in the mood to report them for it). Only thing I am scared that it will affect the performance of arsenal even more.

I'm not sure if that's necessary yet. The rule has been in place for less than a day, so those who check the forums less regularly will probably only catch up with them later. Until then, just give them a friendly reminder if you see someone without a helmet.

There's nothing stopping someone taking their helmet off, so trying to hard-code the arsenal won't affect that at all.

And as stated, if you're not a front-line trooper you can take whatever headgear you desire.

- R