New web and forums feedback

RoyalSertr

Lets start feedback on new web and forums. Bare in mind I try to provide only my opinion and constructive criticism (I am really critical, sorry for that).

I know the stuff is still WIP, but feedback might be welcomed. If not, just remove this. :)

My opinion is both web and forums are downgrade from what we had on the functional side of things.Reasons:

Web:

*On old web I could just open the side and quickly scroll to see info about all the servers and TS. Now it takes longer and it is more distracting. Please move arma and TS server info to the top.

*Honestly I hate the new "shiny" web designs that are so popular currently. Not functional enough for me.

Web bugs:

*EU3 page (main) has no text (except "EU3" heading.

*EU3/What is EU3 bottom link bar is not stuck to bottom of screen (as it is on the other pages).

Forums:

*I find them much more distracting and harder to read than the old one. Too much spacing between everything.

*Might be the font as well.

*Category headings are fully transparent. I would recommend make them colored and about 50% transparent or even not transparent at all.

*Same with new/no new icon notification. It is hard to see. Give it some color.

*The dark heading of each posts splits the topic too much, it is annoying and makes it harder to read post by post.

*Would be nice if "Like it" button fitted bottom of the post independently of the post lengths. Now if the post is too short, "Like it" is somewhere in the middle of the post.

*List of topics - too large spacing. Even on large monitor pinned EU3 stuff takes whole page and I have to scroll as maniac to get to even new posts.

*Lining of posts could be smaller. Again posts are too large if they have multiple lines. No need for 1,5 paragraphs.

*Could we get edit button on top of the post not the bottom? Writing this I found it is pain in the ass having to scroll whole longpost just to open editor and scroll again.

Forum bugs:

*Cannot reply to News & Events topics.

*Seen white bar overflowing to right side over the picture. Cannot find the post now (lost it somewhere), will provide a link when I do.

*Profile/Community reputation/Status Replies takes me to blank page.

*User avatars decided to hide for me just now. See only text variant (aka username twice).

As Dave has said its not 100% yet. Let's give it a week or so and see how it progress before we start giving large amounts of feedback :) I for sure like the, hopefully, faster, sql error free new website.

52 minutes ago, Glitch said:

Will we be able to change our display names like the last website, I don't want to make a new account but may have to

~Blue

48 minutes ago, David said:

Yes and you already can.

To change your display name yes i also had to look for it go to your account settings after you click on your name in the top last tab gives you the option to change

17 minutes ago, Scruffman said:

It loads a fuckload quicker now though so that's the biggest improvement thus far. I'm sure the layouts, etc. will be clearer once the staff has had enough time to tinker with things.

I agree, let's not forget the old website wouldn't load at all.

There was literally no option to keep it even if we wanted to, there were plans for a new website for ages, but under my rule I couldn't get it accomplished, so i doth my hat to those involved in sorting this out. you know who you are fellas :)

It always feels weird when something you're used to changes so much, and the natural reaction is to want to go back to what you know.

But give it a week or so to familiarise yourself with the new layout and for the staff to address the bugs etc, then the feedback will be much more useful.

The website is clearly still WIP so try not to worry too much about these things until the site's finished.

3 hours ago, RoyalSertr said:

Cheers,

it is just my inner perfectionist and experience as tester to provide feedback as soon as there is something to check. ;)

I also have lots of things i don't like. The fact that my eyes hurt because of all the white. But we just have to wait until they say it's ready.

I have come on today and unexpectedly, the text is larger/clearer, and I thought I had accidentally zoomed in...
Found myself zooming out a little so I didn't feel like I was being slapped in the face by the words... :D

Keep up the good work Fellas.

Also,

The -Homepage- field on the AhoyWorld Teamspeak still lists ahoyworld.co.uk.....
https://www.tsviewer.com/index.php?page=ts_viewer&ID=971701

I know it isn't specifically related to this new site, but, figured this is something you'd want pointing out
and starting a new thread just to mention it seemes a little much.

Fixed...
Quick on the mark boys... Well done.

I don't want to say it's finished but we're pretty much there. A few odd things with text size but I'm awaiting feedback on that one in the news topic. Do you guys think is there anything else that still needs doing?

Avatars are acting funny still, you'll need to reupload them :(

One thing that is annoying me, is the count down till summer meeting. Maybe you can make the font smaller for mobile users, or better, hide it from the forum for mobile users. 

I now have to scoll one page lenght on every page I visit. 

Besides that, I think the forum improved a lot. Well done.

edit: ohw one more thing I miss on mobile, is a button to go to the index of the forum ;-)

33 minutes ago, Lt_Col_Bodo said:

One thing that is annoying me, is the count down till summer meeting. Maybe you can make the font smaller for mobile users, or better, hide it from the forum for mobile users. 

I now have to scoll one page lenght on every page I visit. 

Besides that, I think the forum improved a lot. Well done.

edit: ohw one more thing I miss on mobile, is a button to go to the index of the forum ;-)

What does it look like for you on mobile? Looks okay for me. I also have an index button.

Yeah the index button does what it says, it goes to the index of the website. What I ment was a button to go to the index of the forum. ;-)

The text size oke, it's just that on a Mobile phone it is more user friendly when you get to the information quickly, and don't have to scroll a way down first. 

Think you all have done a great job, 100 times better.

1 hour ago, Lt_Col_Bodo said:

Yeah the index button does what it says, it goes to the index of the website. What I ment was a button to go to the index of the forum. ;-)

I don't have the index button like the old forum, but hit menu top right>browse>forums

On 5/16/2016 at 11:11 AM, David said:

I don't want to say it's finished but we're pretty much there. A few odd things with text size but I'm awaiting feedback on that one in the news topic. Do you guys think is there anything else that still needs doing?

Avatars are acting funny still, you'll need to reupload them :(

I get my skins from the same one this one came from and I notice you have a lot of code in your custom.css which is typically blank except for custom additions and overwrites, is that intentional? Could be interfering with some of the theme base code inadvertently.