Please No Forced Push to Talk in EU3

Guest Bartlett

The time in question that I was hot mic'd I believe that it was you that moved me into the setup room and it fixed it as I remember wondering why I couldn't hear you as you was asl,and I was stood right next to you shouting hello can you hear me lol then checked ts and I was in setup room,it's the scrub effect lol

Wha?

Are we talking about that people are bothered to set up and use PTT for a direct talk? I thought that using PTT is common courtesy for most of the people. Besides, it is really immersion breaking to hear your mums yelling at you to take bins out in the middle of a firefight.

@Bartlett: I wish good health to your wife and soon to be born kid. I can tell you that PTT will be necesity for you if you do not game in soundproof chamber :)

Oh, yes. That.  Unfortunately moving you to the setup room was the only way to get your hot mic'ing to stop :)

The time in question that I was hot mic'd I believe that it was you that moved me into the setup room and it fixed it as I remember wondering why I couldn't hear you as you was asl,and I was stood right next to you shouting hello can you hear me lol then checked ts and I was in setup room,it's the scrub effect lol

Great summary @PER0.

PTT is the only way to have communication discipline. And there shouldn't be any exceptions. If Arma 3 as Zak told has numerous keys for all kind of in-game options, there shouldn't be a problem finding one more for communications. I'm using whole numpad key section just for radios. That way I don't have to press multiple keys for alt.radios low/raised comms etc. I don't know if anyone anymore uses ball sensor mice. There should be middle click which you can use for communication on the mouse. Forward/backward buttons?

I have PTT bound to the back/forward buttons on my mouse; back for TS/Discord, forward for any in-built VOIP a game may have. I don't have to move anything as my thumb rests on them anyway, and it just becomes second nature. Not even sure what I'd map those buttons to otherwise. If I were to take on a role with multiple radios often, I'd probably look at mapping forward to rad2.

I've never gotten on with voice activation; I'm always paranoid that I'd leave it running and transmitting half my personal life to a bunch of random internetters.

I think there is to much chit chat in spawn as it is with ptt that sometimes makes me leave cuz of delays and actuall game time. Can't imagine how it will be with voice activation :o maybe I'm just bitter but...

9 minutes ago, Vlk said:

I think there is to much chit chat in spawn as it is with ptt that sometimes makes me leave cuz of delays and actuall game time. Can't imagine how it will be with voice activation :o maybe I'm just bitter but...

It has nothing to do with chit chat at all. This has to do with players that make annoying noises. Talked about last night at TvT gamenight

40 minutes ago, Lad said:

It has nothing to do with chit chat at all. This has to do with players that make annoying noises. Talked about last night at TvT gamenight

Chitchat was the wrong word. But yea, noises and a lot of screaming. There is always that someone who wants to be heard every other second. I think ptt limits that kind of behavior and we can have a casual semi adult tone with realistic gameplay without to much idle time :)

Edited by Vlk
Wrong vocabulary used

It's something that takes some effort to get used to, and if you're an average human being able to do simple tasks like for example : push a button and speak. You should be fine mate.

Also it's just 10x better having ptt if encase your mic acts up. If your neighbors car alarm goes of for 15 minutes during a night op and your mic is set to yelling.