Zeus. I want a discussion!

LexMonster

Zeus  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think more Zeus missions would add to the experience on the public servers?

• I strongly agree!
    • I agree.
    • Neutral.
    • I disagree.
    • I strongly disagree!

First off. I have not yet been able to play a Zeus mission on the servers so the opinion i hold is maybe just wrong.

There may be people who do not know what Zeus is so here is a link. Read this before taking part in the discussion! (It is a really short read)

Now to the juicy stuff. Why even start a discussion here? I feel like there should be more emphasis on Zeus on the public servers. The community seems interested in the idea of Zeus missions and it would add something unique to the Ahoyworld community.

Without an idea the whole post would not make any sense so here is what i, as a comlete idiot, propose:

Special "Zeus Days". Friday is already reserved by Luetin09. So maybe we could get some staff members to run missions on Saturday and Sunday evening. Maybe even Monday and Wednesday. Of course this would need to be advertised and communicated correctly.

In my honest opinion Zeus can just add to the enjoyment and not take it away. Of course we need trained and experienced Zeus players (Here i do not promote myself cause i am only here for about a week now) but the most important thing is that all the Zeus players are fair and think of the players first and only after that about their own enjoyment.

I set up a poll here to maybe focus the opinions a bit. So lets have a discussion!

----------

If you jump into the discussion please leave a vote in the poll. Vice versa if you vote please write down a more detailed statement in the comments.

Can you be a bit clearer on what you mean by "zeus mission" do you mean a stop of the usual take (certain part of map) i&a where a game master takes on a different approach?

Many times adding an element that is unexpected to the existing mission is done and may be subtle enough to change gameplay slightly.

In any case the issue with zeus missions boils down to several things. Abuse, misuse and taking away from what people expect.

I'll deal with the latter first we noticed a distinct drop off in numbers when zeus missions were running on our main server (upto 25% fewer players) when zeus missions were being run instead of I&A. People do expect I&A and we need to cater to them.

Abuse, with great power come etc etc you know the rest of the saying we've given zeus powers to many people and been immediately forced to reverse the decision spamming in units or fire support with no regard to the immersion, no sense of subtlety and no appreciation for the fact that server performance is not limited to just one instance of arma 3 running on our box. We've had to remove zeus powers from many people due to their misuse of zeus gifting themselves or others vehicles, container jenga, or general disregard for server performance.

That said yes a zeus mission can be an awesome way to augment the running mission and while I don't like to suspend the running mission I do feel zeus enables opportunities to add to the existing framework massively. But that's just hope I like to use zeus others may use it differently.

In my opinion, the function of Zeus should be to live-edit missions, adding or subtracting hostile forces as needed to provide a balanced experience for the conventional players; directing enemy forces in the Zeus tactical control view, including taking direct control of an AI soldier to provide "scare shots" on players who have exposed themselves.

Scare shots could range from throwing non-lethal grenades into buildings occupied by players, to counter-sniper operations. If you're a Sniper and the Zeus player can spot you, you've earned a few warning shots, and if you don't react to those, you've earned a death :P

I'd argue that this is the most important function, and that adding tailor-made Zeus missions should be of secondary importance. That said, some Zeus players may well take more enjoyment from designing a mission than they do from controlling one, and as such I wouldn't expect them to go against their own preferences.

Can you be a bit clearer on what you mean by "zeus mission" do you mean a stop of the usual take (certain part of map) i&a where a game master takes on a different approach?

Many times adding an element that is unexpected to the existing mission is done and may be subtle enough to change gameplay slightly.

In any case the issue with zeus missions boils down to several things. Abuse, misuse and taking away from what people expect.

I'll deal with the latter first we noticed a distinct drop off in numbers when zeus missions were running on our main server (upto 25% fewer players) when zeus missions were being run instead of I&A. People do expect I&A and we need to cater to them.

Abuse, with great power come etc etc you know the rest of the saying we've given zeus powers to many people and been immediately forced to reverse the decision spamming in units or fire support with no regard to the immersion, no sense of subtlety and no appreciation for the fact that server performance is not limited to just one instance of arma 3 running on our box. We've had to remove zeus powers from many people due to their misuse of zeus gifting themselves or others vehicles, container jenga, or general disregard for server performance.

That said yes a zeus mission can be an awesome way to augment the running mission and while I don't like to suspend the running mission I do feel zeus enables opportunities to add to the existing framework massively. But that's just hope I like to use zeus others may use it differently.

Thanks for your input!

With Zeus missions i mean the more distinct missions but we should not forget about the small things a Zeus can do as Amentes already said.

The player dropoff is of course a thing to consider. I get why some people do not like it and maybe Zeus just does not work on a public server right now but i am not sure.

Zeus power abuse should be fixed by the "only spartans get Zeus" thing i am guessing. (Maybe have them do some training first?)

I've only been here a week but yesterday was my first taste of some Z v P gameplay both on EU 1 and 2, and compared to the other general I and A I found it a more unique approach that I and A doesn’t offer with its missions, such as more chopper insertion usage and buildings with full garrisons and proper positioning of statics and so on. Heck there have been times where I go through an A and I mission but there was clearly a Zeus editing the OPFOR team because of how much more organized the opposition was. For casual and squad ops alike, I felt that it could be more enjoyable for most people (me and everyone else in the TS channel), and hope to see more of it in the future, but…

It’s reasons like this that you cannot have Zeus open to the general public openly on a server. It’ll just promote chaos because you’re practically giving everyone administrative rights to the server in terms of spawning and killing, as well as the ability to  crash the server by overload, so it’s understandable how Spartans and above only are able to Zeus because they are trustable members in the community who have proven trustworthy. It’s a good compromise, but I agree with OP that Zeus missions can be a good way to increase the variability on the EU servers. Take Leutin’s game night for example on EU 4. What if you opened EU 4 up more often with only custom Zeus missions made only when someone who is a Zeus feels like activating it. Zeuses can focus on missions that go above and beyond the scope of I and A (defensive operations, HVT guarding, convoy offensives and defenses, HVT assassinations, Vehicle hunts, etc.), each op having specific rules and guidelines and it can be a little more organized like how game nights are and have a little more structure like EU 3 is.

TL;DR: I strongly agree that we need more Zeus missions, but its up to the AhoyWorld staff on how far they want to take it. There are multiple options, but it’s ultimately up to them! Thanks for reading! B)

-Lcpl Liru

I've only been here a week but yesterday was my first taste of some Z v P gameplay both on EU 1 and 2, and compared to the other general I and A I found it a more unique approach that I and A doesn’t offer with its missions, such as more chopper insertion usage and buildings with full garrisons and proper positioning of statics and so on. Heck there have been times where I go through an A and I mission but there was clearly a Zeus editing the OPFOR team because of how much more organized the opposition was. For casual and squad ops alike, I felt that it could be more enjoyable for most people (me and everyone else in the TS channel), and hope to see more of it in the future, but…

It’s reasons like this that you cannot have Zeus open to the general public openly on a server. It’ll just promote chaos because you’re practically giving everyone administrative rights to the server in terms of spawning and killing, as well as the ability to  crash the server by overload, so it’s understandable how Spartans and above only are able to Zeus because they are trustable members in the community who have proven trustworthy. It’s a good compromise, but I agree with OP that Zeus missions can be a good way to increase the variability on the EU servers. Take Leutin’s game night for example on EU 4. What if you opened EU 4 up more often with only custom Zeus missions made only when someone who is a Zeus feels like activating it. Zeuses can focus on missions that go above and beyond the scope of I and A (defensive operations, HVT guarding, convoy offensives and defenses, HVT assassinations, Vehicle hunts, etc.), each op having specific rules and guidelines and it can be a little more organized like how game nights are and have a little more structure like EU 3 is.

TL;DR: I strongly agree that we need more Zeus missions, but its up to the AhoyWorld staff on how far they want to take it. There are multiple options, but it’s ultimately up to them! Thanks for reading! B)

-Lcpl Liru

I really like the idea of having a "dedicated Zeus" server. EU 4 eg. But at the same time it would split the player base. We always have to think about thinks like that. If we had more Zeus missions on EU 4 both EU 1 and EU 2 would have less people playing. Less people playing = less enjoyment. No one wants that. (I am not taking EU 3 in consideration for i think obvious reasons.

Thanks for your quit intressting to read input.

In my opinion, the function of Zeus should be to live-edit missions, adding or subtracting hostile forces as needed to provide a balanced experience for the conventional players; directing enemy forces in the Zeus tactical control view, including taking direct control of an AI soldier to provide "scare shots" on players who have exposed themselves.

Pretty much this. It's least work for Zeus, yet makes the usualy predictable AOs/Side mission less so.

For example I've seen Zeus send two helis that parachuted additional opfor squads into almost finished AO and sent some light vehicles with them

- easy yet effective way to make it more interresting for ~20 people in AO, who were just loitering around waiting when the AI decides that AO is completed..

The custom made Zeus mission can be great also, but there is one key thing Zeus should alway do:

Clearly and REPEATEDLY inform all the players on the server that Zeus mission is incoming after current AO completes.

Zeus can ask some player(s) to do this broadcasting for him.

Failing to communicate results in confused players leaving - if suddenly Zeus scraps existing AO/Side without explaining to ALL people why.

I've seen this mistake couple of times - Zeus creating mission for closed group of people who were in:

-locked squad

-locked TS room

without explaining to other people on the server his intentions and taking them aboard.

This "private" sessions simply should not happen on public server if they interfere with flow of standard AO/Side mission.

Pretty much this. It's least work for Zeus, yet makes the usualy predictable AOs/Side mission less so.

For example I've seen Zeus send two helis that parachuted additional opfor squads into almost finished AO and sent some light vehicles with them

- easy yet effective way to make it more interresting for ~20 people in AO, who were just loitering around waiting when the AI decides that AO is completed..

The custom made Zeus mission can be great also, but there is one key thing Zeus should alway do:

Clearly and REPEATEDLY inform all the players on the server that Zeus mission is incoming after current AO completes.

Zeus can ask some player(s) to do this broadcasting for him.

Failing to communicate results in confused players leaving - if suddenly Zeus scraps existing AO/Side without explaining to ALL people why.

I've seen this mistake couple of times - Zeus creating mission for closed group of people who were in:

-locked squad

-locked TS room

without explaining to other people on the server his intentions and taking them aboard.

This "private" sessions simply should not happen on public server if they interfere with flow of standard AO/Side mission.

This ^_^