Quick Duffy Training

Voice Radio Procedure

Phonetic Alphabet
When communicating over the radio you must always use the phonetic alphabet.

spacer.gifphonetic20alphabet.jpg

For example, if I wanted Charlie squad to engage grid B1 marked on the map I would say
"Charlie this is Delta 0, you are to push South and engage grid Bravo 1, how copy?".

Key Phrases
Phrases/terms to remember and use.

Roger: Message received and understood.

Over: Transmission finished, reply expected (short for "Over to you").

Out: Transmission finished - no reply expected. For example "Copy that Delta, we will engage the target. Out." Note: only the sender should terminate traffic with “Out”.

Wilco: Your message is understood and we Will Comply (usually combined with Roger: "Roger, Wilco").

Confirm: Indicate whether a message has been understood or that a sent message has been understood correctly. For example:
"Stalker 1, confirm coordinates are 045,091 ?"

How Copy: Ask receiver if message was received and understood correctly. Correct responce would be Solid Copy (if heard and understood correctly) or Bad Copy (if not heard correctly or not understood).

Repeat Last: Ask receiver to repeat last transmission.

Standby for orders: Await further orders, usually shortened to Standby.

Affirmative: Yes (sometimes abbreviated to Affirm).

Negative: No

Zero: The highest rank at a location within a squad/section. For example Delta squad's commander would be "Delta Zero". If I wanted to speak to Delta's commander I would say
"Delta Zero this is Charlie Zero, confirm we are to push South and engage grid Bravo 1?"

Locstat: Location at the current time. Usually when a callsign is moving. e.g. "Send locstat, over".

Sitrep: Situation Report = how you are getting on with an assigned task or the state of your unit.

Redeploy: (Vehicle) Move to a different location. When given with a grid or location, it is effectively a move order.

CAS: Close Air Support. For example "This is Charlie to Stalker 1, requesting CAS on grid 041,048, how copy?"

CasEvac: Casualty Evacuation.

FAC: Forward Air Controller. A designated marine within a section/squad that will act as the middleman for sending traffic between air and ground.

CLAP
When using a radio, remember the mnemonic CLAP:

CLEAR
LOUD
AS an order with 
PAUSES

That is how all of your messages should be spoken. Don't shout or swear. Don't talk when someone else is talking - wait for them to finish, including any response they are expecting. 

All spellings should be spoken using the phonetic alphabet.

All numbers should be spoken as digits (i.e. two one, not twenty one).

All callsigns should be spoken as digits and phonetics.

Do not use the radio for chatting. Use DIRECT for this purpose.

Marines will be issued with a PRC 343 radio for squad-to-squad communication. Section Commanders, Fireteam Leaders and Forward Air Controllers will be issued with a PRC 117/119 long range radio.

Hmm last time I checked we use alpha 1 and not numbers also we ain't marines and don't have direct chat

We don't have direct chat? speaking without using the radio is direct chat.

And this post is more of a guide line then anything. over and out is meh to me . 

We don't have direct chat? speaking without using the radio is direct chat. you know speaking to someone directly..

And this post is more of a guide line then anything. over and out is meh to me .

Miss read for text chat sorry

Mnemonics are awesome. 2 more for the pile:

Remember your ABCs

Accuracy (Keep it concise)

Berevity (Keep it short)

Clarity (Keep it clear)

and of course the one you can use anywhere:

Keep

It

Simple.

Stupid. 

Basically don't over complicate it if you don't need to.