Gauntlet Version History

EDIT: my bad, i didnt notice feedback form :(

Map: Chernarus

Version: 51H

Mission: Operation Prism - Extracting CIA asset.

Bug: CIA asset dissapears after Teamlead joined game.

Description: I was playing alone as MMG, found asset. Was joined by another player who played as Rifleman/AT. I issued several commands (F3) to CIA asset in order to move him to destination. Meanwhile more players joined game and our team. When 5th player joined game with Teamleader role, CIA asset dissapeared. Asset was not visible even on cTab, but was still 'talking' on group chat. Due to this odd bug we were not able to finish mission. 

No - I'm glad you posted it here - I'm trying to phase out the feedback form :)

This mechanic of the CIA asset joining the team has always been a bit mercurial - it's why I changed the chopper pilots mission to a chopper intel mission - I think I may change the CIA asset mission so that he surrenders when BLUFOR gets within his trigger range, and you can move him around, rather than him joining your group.

Just to be clear, people were joining you via the ACE interaction menu?

Thanks for the report.

11 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Mortar seems quite resistant to most damage, with reports of multiple CAS missile runs being ineffective.

Today in Altis I had a clear shot at it (as AR) and it took around 10+ shots (blood animation for every hit shot) to take him down, not sure if that is a good metric or not :P

CO Gauntlet Altis V? (current)

On automatic server restart following all missions complete in Fal Altis was randomly selected and as TFAR loads up I am assigned a radio but there is a 1 minute on screen dialogue saying: "Task Force Radio not present on 'server/map'" - the real word i cant recall but to this effect.

JA

I have uploaded Altis Gauntlet 0.52 to the server. Fixes various problems:
1) British factions now use USMC armor assets instead of (OP) vanilla assets. Yes, breaks immersion, but better than using vanilla vehicles.
2) New capture HVT mission (same as kill HVT, just now you have to capture / return the officer)
3) fixed spare wheel / spare track loading - default code had a tendency to overload items thus leading to errors
4) default vehicle LR frequencies now parallel player LR radios (30 is default)
5) removed mortar whistle as it was inconsistent when it would play (players often heard it playing in base)
6) had a look at save map markers bug, not sure if I fixed it as couldn't replicate the issue
7) complete overhaul of ambient AI, should now be much harsher towards armor / air assets

A few more words about #7. The intention behind ambient AI is that it is meant to fill in the cracks of the assets in the main missions, as sometimes Arma will be Arma and a squad of enemy OPFOR will spawn somewhere they won't encounter the players, or they won't spawn, or whatever. Ambient AI is meant to reflect that there are supporting OPFOR in the vicinity, and to keep players from concentrating too much on the prime objective.

Ambient always scales in response to the number of players and will only start spawning when players are a significant distance away from the main base (over a kilometer). Generally, there is an upper limit to the number of ambient units that will spawn so that the server performance isn't overly affected, and the difficulty isn't made too harsh for the players.  It starts at one ambient group per six players. This is affected by mission parameters: bonus groups are available if you ramp up the difficulty.  As well, bonus groups are spawned if a player is driving an armed ground vehicle (like an M2 HMMWV), a piece of armor (like an M2 or an M1), an unarmed helicopter, and an armed helicopter. Finally, certain missions inherently increase the amount of groups that spawn - any convoy mission, extract the CIA operative, etc - and this amount is returned to its previous level after the mission is completed.

A check is made every X seconds to see if an ambient group will spawn (by default, this is 80 seconds, but can be made more or less difficult by mission parameter). If players aren't occupying any of the special vehicle classes named above (armed ground, armor, helicopter, armed helicopter) then the regular ambient rules apply: random chance of an infantry group, motorized group, mechanized group, or tank.  Right now the odds are heavily skewed towards infantry - more than 50% - then 30% motorized, then 15% mechanized, then 5% of a tank).

If any player is crew in a special vehicle group, an additional ambient check is made at the same time. This is the difference in Gauntlet 52 - previous ambient code made one check for ambient units, and there was a a chance that the spawned group would be an anti-special group (like an anti-armor infantry team against a tank, or a plane against a cas helicopter). Now, an additional check against special vehicle groups is made at the same time, so potentially two ambient groups can spawn in one check.  Once the unit cap is reached though, no additional ambient units can be spawned.

The kinds of ambient AI groups that will spawn in response to player special vehicle classes are also scaled in difficulty: you won't face the same ambient threats driving an armed HMMWV that you'll face driving an M1 Abrams. Lastly it's worth noting that if a player goes significantly out of range from the ambient group, they will automatically be de-spawned.

So, please provide any feedback, as I think life is about to get more interesting for vehicle crews.

- R

Not sure if the the issue has been reported somewhere else but AT4 and M72 don't work correctly after today's ARMA3 update, the rocket apparently bounces on the ground/target and rarely you can hit it.

Nicolai did some test after it and it seems that TF47, MAAWS and RHS RPG 7V2 work correctly.

Don't want to be an ass or similiar to it but I don't like serveral things within EU3 that happened or are still happening. Not sure if that's only me or there are people out there too.

1. We have recently added SOCOM faction. For me it's useless, you can get everything in the arsenal. The only difference is that you spawn with the gear you potentially can get from arsenal. Also More scrips I believe makes users PC's lag.

2. Upper point will be ssociated with this one. We not so long ago added British to repo. I believe we decided to do rotational forces but still we play americans more often. Lack of british forces. Also in british arsenal there is no british m4 variant, a berret for LT and above would be nice.

3. Same maps over and over recently. I know Ryko is the only who works on mission files when updating them but I would love to see more variety. We get updates too often and only few maps get updated. Haven't played taki in some time, sahrani, everon and others. Also there should be a map rotation that is followed and not changed. If the next map is in rotation it should be runned not if someone decides otherwise.

4. Chinook needs to be added to british faction, no other heli can lift jackal and other vechicles.

Didn't want to sound harsh or negative , this community gave me a lot and the perspective it has can be better than we have now.

The arsenal seems really inconsistent for me, sometimes it loads and is empty, ie I doesn't show any weapons, armour, uniform etc... And sometimes it is fully unlocked and I can take anything. As well as the the longer loading time which I assume is down to the number of mods?

1. We have recently added SOCOM faction. For me it's useless, you can get everything in the arsenal. The only difference is that you spawn with the gear you potentially can get from arsenal. Also More scrips I believe makes users PC's lag.

On the subject of the issue with items being available or unavailable from the arsenal.

The intention of the system is that when a faction is selected, a variety of vehicles and default loadouts related to that faction are implemented. The arsenal however is broadly the same for western, eastern, and independent (insurgent) factions.  That is to say that the arsenal will be the same whether you're playing marines, socom, british, IDF, or army factions.  This is because Gauntlet was never envisioned to limit players to a specific faction's gear - if you want to be a British soldier playing along side American soldiers, you can do that.

To summarize: selecting SOCOM doesn't open up the arsenal to everything.  This is a recent issue that Blue also identified in his comment.  I believe it's a timing issue, in that the arsenal is created before the side-specific limitations are finalized.  Respawning, or even selecting the other arsenal, has been shown to fix this issue.  It's on my list but not a huge priority as we're supposed to be grownups and know how to play on Enhanced.

2. Upper point will be ssociated with this one. We not so long ago added British to repo. I believe we decided to do rotational forces but still we play americans more often. Lack of british forces. Also in british arsenal there is no british m4 variant, a berret for LT and above would be nice.

The defaults for the maps are what they are.  Some will be British, some will be US.  I'm not going to switch the defaults to British on every map just because it's the flavour of the week.  If an admin is on, you can ask to have the faction set to British.

I'm also not going to clutter the arsenal for aesthetic reasons - this includes adding 900 different berets, and additional weapons which have a different name.  This only encourages people to spend more time at the arsenal, rather than less.  And people really shouldn't be taking berets into the AO anyway, as they offer no protection against bullets.

3. Same maps over and over recently. I know Ryko is the only who works on mission files when updating them but I would love to see more variety. We get updates too often and only few maps get updated. Haven't played taki in some time, sahrani, everon and others. Also there should be a map rotation that is followed and not changed. If the next map is in rotation it should be runned not if someone decides otherwise.

I've always been clear about this logic.  There's no point to me implementing flawed code across all the available maps - the goal is to get the mission to as perfect a state as possible before doing so.  It's almost there.  The recent changes to ambient AI appear to be working out well, and there is one mission that needs a tweak. When that's done, it's fairly simple for me to copy and paste the code across all the remaining maps.

4. Chinook needs to be added to british faction, no other heli can lift jackal and other vechicles.

This is one of those comments that make a lot of sense, and should be present in this forum, so I can implement it into the mission.  If we "locked" the code base without something like this then I would say "you're out of luck for a while" because I can't be bothered to update 12 maps for one small change.

- R

50 minutes ago, Blue-958- said:

The arsenal seems really inconsistent for me, sometimes it loads and is empty, ie I doesn't show any weapons, armour, uniform etc... And sometimes it is fully unlocked and I can take anything. As well as the the longer loading time which I assume is down to the number of mods?

The arsenal load time is related strictly to mods.  We have more gear in our arsenal than a stock vanilla arsenal, thus it takes longer to create the array of items that are present in it.  Also, the whitelisting functionality increases the load time.

To be honest, as I think about it, the server has nothing to do with the arsenal, as all that code is client-side.  However your client is also setting up client-side aspects of the base and the mission, so any of that can disturb how the arsenal is created.  I may investigate putting a delay in before the arsenal is created, to try and give the client a chance to properly create the arsenal.

Best advice is if your arsenal isn't doing what it's supposed to, respawn or try the other arsenal.  Just because the gear is present, you shouldn't assume you're allowed to take it.