Adding a second (and third) FSG Gunner

Torkil

A second and third FSG Gunner will allow for a group of friends of 3-4 players to support the rest.
While this is possible with one, the fire of 2-3 tubes hitting at once will drastically improve the effectiveness of the indirect fire support 

I see this is given that the guys playing as FSG gunners work together and have people calling targets for them for this to work, but as it is now it just feel a bit dull fiering one tube and seeing one round hitting the target and tanks just driving of like nothing happened..

Hope to see some valid points and a sober discussion.

The FSG gunner slot is very rarely used, so adding more would cause those slots to be wasted 99% of the time. 

It's good that you want to be in a group playing a mortar support role. But even a single mortar is very powerful, having three of them would be a little overkill imo.

It is currently possible to have multiple people use a mortars even if they're not in the FSG gunner slot, but they won't be able to use the artillery computer.

Luckily Cz3h has made a very nice app that will do all the work that the artillery computer does.

Link to his forum post:

http://www.ahoyworld.co.uk/topic/4890-artillery-calculator/?hl=mortar

Ive been playing alot fsg gunner lately (using arty computer). Specially when Pilger is online we go for the artillery.

Hitting at once is possible if you change the charge, first fire a heavy charge (eta for example 40 sec) and a medium charge (eta for example 30 sec) when the heavy charge has 30 seconds to go and the impact almost at the same moment. Tho im not using it often, shell by shell works good aswell and i think having shells exploding on the same moment is overrated.

Effectiveness depends on 3 things i think: range, type of target and most important the spotter.

-range: short range is most effective, almost no spread of rounds were a heavy charge makes the spread quite big and ofcourse, medium is in between.

-target: the mobility and armor make this one. Mobile targets are harder to hit, specially when its hard to predict where they go. Buildings and cover are also have a small factor in the effect.

-spotter: is the most important factor in effectiveness. A spotter just marking random and not being sure were the enemy is is a waste of ammo. A good spotter, marking the amount of rounds and the spread is essential. Its possible to get over 75 kills in just an hour... with only 1 mortar being setup and making every single round count.

Transport: i prefer to load a hunter with 3 mortars (empty vehicle inventory) you can stuff 3 bipods and 2 tube's and one the back. I drive to a location close enough to use medium charge and heavy charge. Heavy charge got a reach of around 4km and medium around 2km.

I also keep an eye on the location if it comes to lz's, nothing more frustrating if youve loaded up the hunter, been driving for 15 minutes and when you are mortaring, someone else taking off with the hunter and gets it wrecked.

Sochor: The most exciting piece of artillery ive played with so far and in the same time boring as hell. You can send those massive 155mm shells all over the map without the need to move. You can shell the enemy with normal rounds but its also possible to shoot a minefield (ap&at) clusters shells and some more funny things you dont have with the mortar. 

My conclusion: only 1 mortar can handle almost a complete AO if used properly (good spotter). Having multiple fsg gunners will give reason to compete with eachother if not coordinated (like everything on eu1) and result in barraging the AO blindly. Its not the amount of assets its how its used and controled: quality, not quantity is wat counts here.

Transport: i prefer to load a hunter with 3 mortars (empty vehicle inventory) you can stuff 3 bipods and 2 tube's and one the back. I drive to a location close enough to use medium charge and heavy charge. Heavy charge got a reach of around 4km and medium around 2km.

I also keep an eye on the location if it comes to lz's, nothing more frustrating if youve loaded up the hunter, been driving for 15 minutes and when you are mortaring, someone else taking off with the hunter and gets it wrecked.

You should use an Offroad - they have a lot more Inventory space and you can carry more than twice the tubes.

It allows you to move directly from one AO to the next without the need to RTB after every mission.

You should use an Offroad - they have a lot more Inventory space and you can carry more than twice the tubes.

It allows you to move directly from one AO to the next without the need to RTB after every mission.

True, but i just like the hunter (without hmg) With a good spotter i can last for 3 AO's, 1 mortar for 1 AO.

I have been FSG gunner the last few time I have played. All you need is a good spotter me and Sniper teamed up and we cleared AO's in a offroad repair like no tomorrow. Having more gunners will be pointless it would lead to uncoordinated firing which in the worst case could lead to a whole squad getting FF. The way it is at the moment is fine.

Just need that mortar offroad to spawn as default at base and it will be perfect in my eyes.

I agree that more FSG will cause problems, but sometimes the artillery operator seems a bit, I guess, boring or ineffective. I reckon that some bigger / more varied artillery weapons should be added as spawns. For example, the sandstorm could be added because even though it has extreme damage and blast radius, it has low ammo capacity. If the range was tweaked a bit and maybe the ammo reduced ever so slightly I would say that the sandstorm would be a good addition.

As an afterthought, maybe the vehicle service time should be quite long too, so as to prevent a squad just rolling to an AO with a sandstorm (or scorcher) and 2 ammo trucks to provide unlimited ammo.

I reckon that some bigger / more varied artillery weapons should be added as spawns. For example, the sandstorm.

I can all but guarantee you that this won't happen. There's been a Sochor on I&A previously, as well as several other toys, and inadvertently they get abused to lay waste to AOs and/or mass teamkill.

People would park the Sochor next to the rearm pad, blast the AO to bits, then rearm and continue firing. It is an awesome sight to behold if used properly, but the fact is it won't be.

...they get abused to lay waste to AOs and/or mass teamkill.

People would park the Sochor next to the rearm pad, blast the AO to bits, then rearm and continue firing. It is an awesome sight to behold if used properly, but the fact is it won't be.

Yeah I guess you're right. It would probably require too much admin attention to just to watch that one person to make sure that they don't demolish the base or something. I mean, it's a good thing to have access to but you're right in saying that it would be abused most of the time, even with limitations applied to the capabilities of the weaponry itself.