Marksman are pretty useless at night

Kirk76

Question

so? a marksmans optimal range is between 4 and 8 hundred meters.

I never said otherwise.

he said RCOs wont do. and belive me. they wont.

They can do, believe me. I can hit targets at ~800m with an RCO, so can GhostDragon. It's not as practical as a scope with more magnification, but it's doable. You just have to be good at it. ;)

NVS is the vanilla arma3 Night Vision Scope. as the name implies, it has integrated night vision. its also locked at i belive 5x.

AMS is not NV compatable.

Yes, I figured as much, and I never said the AMS is NV compatible. I just stated a doubt whether it had NV integrated into it, like the ACE RCOs.

no. flares are simply not effective enough. they burn out after 30~ seconds, and cant be deployd at long range.

(...)

you just cant shoot a flare 7-800 meters away

Light travels a loooong distance. You don't need to deploy them at 800m to see at 800m.

see "5The main point of a marksman is to both extend the effective range of his fireteam when necessary".

When necessary is the key point there. If you can move the team closer and engage more effectively why have the Marksman taking pot shots from 800m? As you've said, 

in night situations you usually want to be stelthy, and engage at your lesure.

So... a good team/squad leader would take that natural advantage to engage more efficiently. Which would bring the team into supposed flare range...

I think you get my point.

Marksmen have been using night optics as far back as Vietnam but u can understand removing them for balance the best way to get around this is to look around with the gen4 nvgs then when you find the enemy switch between nvgs and your marks optic until he stops moving then take him out it is a tactic used by a marksman who ran out of anmo on his m14 in Vietnam to find the target with his night optic then kill it with an m16.