Marksman are pretty useless at night

Kirk76

Question

i suggest giving marksman the ability to use at least some kind of NV scopes. why? well, its pretty self explanatory. marksman are almost useless in night missions. 

enough said.

Marksman's arent useless you can always ask your friendly Grenadier to bring some flares

also you can perfectly shoot fine with out NVG's just give your eyes time to adjust

you can perfectly shoot fine with out NVG's just give your eyes time to adjust
Try that on a clouded, rainy night, without boosting your gamma :)

There are NV scopes available now, and you can generate a kit in Virtual Arsenal and load it on server with the NV-only scopes on.

Only works if you're okay without a radio, and with a warning message over a load of your screen.

I've yet to have an issue loading a pre-made kit. Am I to understand that loading a kit with an item that isn't obtainable in the server arsenal causes the ACRE issues that some players have been experiencing the last few days?

A ) Don't use a scope.

B ) Use a scope you can use with Night Vision Goggles.

C ) Don't use Night Vision Goggles and find a Different solution like the flaresl-idea presented above.

You should be glad we allow everyone to use NVGs etc. and don't make everyone in a squad, apart from one with NVGs, roll out with mounted flashlight only.

Just adapt with what we offer you, it shouldn't be hard at all.

Also; it's not like you're not going to have a chance to come up close and personal with the enemy during night time.

A ) Don't use a scope.

B ) Use a scope you can use with Night Vision Goggles.

C ) Don't use Night Vision Goggles and find a Different solution like the flaresl-idea presented above.

You should be glad we allow everyone to use NVGs etc. and don't make everyone in a squad, apart from one with NVGs, roll out with mounted flashlight only.

Just adapt with what we offer you, it shouldn't be hard at all.

Also; it's not like you're not going to have a chance to come up close and personal with the enemy during night time.

A ) but then, whats the point of a marksman rifle

B ) again, whats the point of 3X magnification with an m24

C ) flares dont last awefully long and 40% of the time you wont have a grenadier, and 70% of the times you do have one, he dosent carry flares, and 50% of the time he does carry flares, hes not allowed to use them becuse team leaders. 

I've yet to have an issue loading a pre-made kit. Am I to understand that loading a kit with an item that isn't obtainable in the server arsenal causes the ACRE issues that some players have been experiencing the last few days?

no, but the radios usually fuck up if you do that

I think the marksman and Recon team should be allowed to use NVG And Thermal's. 

if referring to EU#3

also you can perfectly shoot fine with out NVG's just give your eyes time to adjust

ive tried. and im not going to dim my lights and sit for 15 minutes trying to get my eyes to adjust. also, as farragoid said, conditions may vary and its not easy to see on a cloudy night. not in arma and not in real life.

As far as i know Marksman are allowed all night vision sights apart from those that offer thermal vision as this is seen as overpowered.

I would recommend using the AN/PVS10 as it is has distance markings on. 

Also would like to mention that the idea of using iron sights on marksman rifles is ridiculous... most people struggle to shoot straight with sights never mind using irons and it would render the role ineffective at the distances that we are engaging the enemies at most of the time.

Also would like to mention that the idea of using iron sights on marksman rifles is ridiculous... most people struggle to shoot straight with sights never mind using irons and it would render the role ineffective at the distances that we are engaging the enemies at most of the time.
Why not sneak up a bit closer to the enemy and take them out in little time, exposing yourself less than when engaging them in a longer distance - with a longer duration - battle.

Should be easily done when everyone follows the same code of conducteur; i.e. no yelling or shooting from far away. A marksman with an iron sight will easily be able to pack a punch, especially when you consider the enemy would be hit with a relatively higher velocity >_7.62 round, probably rendering them incapable much easier than on a range of 600 meters.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Why not sneak up a bit closer to the enemy and take them out in little time, exposing yourself less than when engaging them in a longer distance - with a longer duration - battle.

Should be easily done when everyone follows the same code of conducteur; i.e. no yelling or shooting from far away. A marksman with an iron sight will easily be able to pack a punch, especially when you consider the enemy would be hit with a relatively higher velocity >_7.62 round, probably rendering them incapable much easier than on a range of 600 meters.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

but thats not the point of marksman. if you want that just pick a 6.56 rifle/carbine i.e MX. and a lot of marksman rifles dont have irons.

Whilst I can see the point Kirk makes, I think not allowing NV scopes has an overall positive impact on gameplay, one minor compromise from one slot, benefits the whole server. My solution is use a lower powered scope, it's not like we're engaging at 1,000m+.

Ps. Kirk - 40 + 70 = 110, just sayin' :)

Ps. Kirk - 40 + 70 = 110, just sayin' :)

im assuming you were reffering to this: "40% of the time you wont have a grenadier, and 70% of the times you do have one, he dosent carry flares". notice that i said 70% of the times you do have one, he dosent carry any flares

and also, why does it benefit the whole server? please explain yourself.

I agree with Kirk that main point of Marksmen is ability to use rifles with mid-long effective ranges - say up to 1000m (above that is Sniper territory), for which RCO/ARCO (usable with NV Googles) fall short.

At the same time, lets avoid any thermal scopes, they tend to ruin the game - I believe that is what Parabolic is refering to with the "benefis the whole server".

So that leaves us with.. NVS ? (correct me if wrong)
The NVS is also balanced by the fact, that it is totaly unusable for shorter ranges and by day, forcing operator to carry and swap scopes as necessary.

I agree with Kirk that main point of Marksmen is ability to use rifles with mid-long effective ranges - say up to 1000m

The main point of a marksman is to both extend the effective range of his fireteam when necessary - which should not be engaging anything above 600m, and bring more firepower by using a higher caliber rifle (such as a 7.62).

RCO/ARCO (usable with NV Googles) fall short.

I believe ACE's don't work with NV Goggles, but they do have integrated NV - at least the RCO (2D) does.

So that leaves us with.. NVS ? (correct me if wrong)

The NVS is also balanced by the fact, that it is totaly unusable for shorter ranges and by day, forcing operator to carry and swap scopes as necessary.

Never heard of the NVS, then again I don't look through scopes too much.

The AMS (a so-called "sniper scope"), for instance, has a red dot on top of it which you can switch to (just like the RCO 2D), so it's very usable in short range fights. Unsure if it has NV integrated in it though.

But many suggestions to counter this have been given. Have someone use flares, for instance.

This whole topic is why Marksman isn't a beginner role.

The main point of a marksman is to both extend the effective range of his fireteam when necessary - which should not be engaging anything above 600m
Everybody can engage reliably up to 600m with RCO/ARCO - and they DO so all the time.

If the point of Marksman is to EXTEND this, he should be able to do this at night as well (hence this topic).

The AMS (a so-called "sniper scope"), for instance, has a red dot on top of it which you can switch to (just like the RCO 2D), so it's very usable in short range fights. Unsure if it has NV integrated in it though.

NVS scope:

- is fixed 5x magnification scope (designated Sniper scopes have at least 10x (AMS) or more - LPRS for example has up to 25x magnification)

- does not have any ironsights (you either look throu it or don't aim at all - hence it NEEDs to be swapped if you expect CQB)

- has the low-light vision constantly turned on, so it can't be used by day

As you can see from the parameters, NVS is not a "designated" sniper scope (only 5x magnification) - it is a tactical scope for purely night operations.

This would IMO befit Marksman and Spotter roles very well.

But many suggestions to counter this have been given. Have someone use flares, for instance.
The "suggestions" made were:

1) turn you room dark, crank the Gamma on monitor and burn you eyes out

2) always play with a buddy that will at night take grenadier role, so that he can do the 15-second fireworks just for you

(Remember we are talking about EU1/2)

My bad Colsta,

I have no experience with EU3 since i have not played there yet - good coordination might make the "flare" idea possible there (but they really last very short time).

I was refering to EU1/2 conditions where it (NVS) could make sense.

The main point of a marksman is to both extend the effective range of his fireteam when necessary - which should not be engaging anything above 600m, and bring more firepower by using a higher caliber rifle (such as a 7.62).

so? a marksmans optimal range is between 4 and 8 hundred meters.

I believe ACE's don't work with NV Goggles, but they do have integrated NV - at least the RCO (2D) does.

he said RCOs wont do. and belive me. they wont.

NVS is the vanilla arma3 Night Vision Scope. as the name implies, it has integrated night vision. its also locked at i belive 5x.

AMS is not NV compatable.

This whole topic is why Marksman isn't a beginner role.

no. flares are simply not effective enough. they burn out after 30~ seconds, and cant be deployd at long range. see "5The main point of a marksman is to both extend the effective range of his fireteam when necessary".

The "suggestions" made were:

1) turn you room dark, crank the Gamma on monitor and burn you eyes out

2) always play with a buddy that will at night take grenadier role, so that he can do the 15-second fireworks just for you

(Remember we are talking about EU1/2)

(actually were talking about EU3 but shhhhhh)

My bad Colsta,

I have no experience with EU3 since i have not played there yet - good coordination might make the "flare" idea possible there (but they really last very short time).

I was refering to EU1/2 conditions where it (NVS) could make sense.

no. its fine. you wont always have a grenadier in EU3 to and as far as i can remember no team has both grenadier and marksman. also you just cant shoot a flare 7-800 meters away. its just not practical. and dont even get me started on the fact that flares give off light, wich is bad. becuse in night situations you usually want to be stelthy, and engage at your lesure.