EU1 & EU2 NOTICE TO PILOTS RULES ARE CHANGING

zissou

I like the idea of having to repair helicopters when they're sitting somewhere in a field. :) However, I noticed that sometimes you just can't fix one, even at base...

E.g. a few days ago, I accidentally crash-landed a Ghosthawk in the parking lot at base, due to a key combo overlap. *facepalm*

Admittedly, the chance of the following happening again are slim (I hope?), but what I did was:

- I took a repair and refuel truck, drove them to the GH and got the GH fixed and refueled. As I had landed with gear retracted, however, it kept rolling over. This didn't damage the GH, but starting the engines would be impossible while leaning on the main rotors.

- I stabilised it upright between two small trucks, boarded and started the engine, only to have the main rotor be destroyed by colliding with something (no idea what, but shouldn't have been the trucks) after it had been running for about 15 - 20 seconds. After that, whatever I tried, I was unable to repair or refuel the helicopter.

- Seeing no way to fix my mess, except blow up the GH, which is against the rules (especially on base), I took another heli and continued flying everyone in/out of AO's... As a result, we had a broken GH on the parking lot, being kept upright between 2 trucks, for hours.

One example I'm slightly disagreeing with:

"Landing too close, or flying over, the AO. It shows the pilot is not aware of the situation around him and if it results in the lost of aircraft or team mates will considered destroying assets or teamkilling."

To me, overflying the AO does not equal being unaware of your situation. In fact, it can be quite the opposite.

I know gauging pilot skill and experience levels, especially from new guys like myself, is very hard to do, so I understand the "lowest denominator" reasoning here, but in my experience, a pilot with proper situational awareness can fly over a hot AO, and come out unscathed. In such case, he could be a very valuable airborne recon or support asset, drop boots closer to the action, ... Of course, you should never take unnecessary risks, even if that means the boots complain about having to walk/drive another >2km to objective. :)

My two cents, if you'll have them. :)

2 minutes ago, Eagle-Eye said:

- I stabilised it upright between two small trucks, boarded and started the engine, only to have the main rotor be destroyed by colliding with something (no idea what, but shouldn't have been the trucks) after it had been running for about 15 - 20 seconds. After that, whatever I tried, I was unable to repair or refuel the helicopter.

- Seeing no way to fix my mess, except blow up the GH, which is against the rules (especially on base), I took another heli and continued flying everyone in/out of AO's... As a result, we had a broken GH on the parking lot, being kept upright between 2 trucks, for hours.

One example I'm slightly disagreeing with:

"Landing too close, or flying over, the AO. It shows the pilot is not aware of the situation around him and if it results in the lost of aircraft or team mates will considered destroying assets or teamkilling."

To me, overflying the AO does not equal being unaware of your situation. In fact, it can be quite the opposite.

I know gauging pilot skill and experience levels, especially from new guys like myself, is very hard to do, so I understand the "lowest denominator" reasoning here, but in my experience, a pilot with proper situational awareness can fly over a hot AO, and come out unscathed.

OK, my response to these points you made.

Firstly, If it is obvious that the Helo CANNOT be recovered, simply ask an Admin or other Member of Ahoyworld heirarchy if it is ok to destroy it as it is 100% unrecoverable. They are understanding people, and they will give the go ahead if there is no other option.
If there isn't one around, simply get a screenshot of it, and keep that, along with a short log of your recovery attempts so that IF you are questioned as to why you destroyed it, you have evidence that you can then present in defense of your actions.

------

Secondly, The key words here are - SITUATIONAL AWARENESS & UNSCATHED - A pilot who can do hot drops and rapid inserts is a blessing and will not be penalised... A pilot who flies in and gets shot down multiple times because he is not thinking about what is going on WILL be penalised.

------

Hope that helps and clears up a few things.

• Mark T pinned this topic
  • Mark T unpinned this topic