Zeus Mission's!!!

John McClane

First thing is that i wanna let you guys know that tonight im going to try and stream the Zeus Mission tonight from the players perspective. :) 

Second i wanna get your thoughts on my zeus mission lately on EU 1 And 2, should i keep doing them should i stop doing them, Any ways i could change to make it more fun/interesting for you? 

First thing is that i wanna let you guys know that tonight im going to try and stream the Zeus Mission tonight from the players perspective. :)

Second i wanna get your thoughts on my zeus mission lately on EU 1 And 2, should i keep doing them should i stop doing them, Any ways i could change to make it more fun/interesting for you? 

If its on EU4 as LT said yesterday, then I may attempt a stream too.

I have only seen a few of your missions, but the times i did everybody enjoyed them, so I'd say keep em commin :D

I like the idea of inserting reinforcements behind the main forces when we were closing in on the base. Remember when PiranhA and I were trapped by the coast? That was an intense 10mins.

Like what Pero said, if it's obvious to a player that Zeus is controlling a unit, then you're probably doing something wrong.

Too many times I've been shot down by a Zeus controlled unit when I know that an AI controlled one wouldn't have shot at me.

I'd rather have a squadron of AI controlled Neophrons sent to kill me, than one Zeus controlled one.

Second thing, whenever you spawn in units (reinforcements etc), make sure that they're well away from players, and for air vehicles increase that distance even more.

I've thoroughly enjoyed every single Zeus mission you've done, or rather, the ones I've experienced.

Most Zeus players spawn in units too close, you however tend to avoid that. You usually bring in propper reinforcement. You can see them comming, they don't just spawn in an area which you've already cleared and thus don't pay attention to. Newer "Zeuses" tend to do that, and it's a real pain if you're one of the guys on the ground.

If you only do Zeus mission, it's easy to lose track of how the missions accually play from the ground, and that is bad. You obviously know how it feels to be on the ground, and you can tell from how the missions are built and how you play. You don't do stupid shit which you personally wouldn't apprechiate if you were one of the guys on the ground. It's your job to shake things up and make things more interesting for everyone, and you're doing it without making it feel like you're getting cheted on. The missions are usually neither too large nor too small, and if the missions appear to end quicker than intended, you do quite a good job of slowing down the progress with some more reinforcements.

Keep up the good work, it's much appreciated!

This week, on two seperate occasions I've experienced some zeus missions when i randomly happened to be a pilot at the time and I got bored very fast because there wasnt anything for me to do.

All the action was on the Ground and since the missions were static for a very long time there were no transport Jobs either.

This Ground troops only thing worries me, please remember that there are also pilots on I&A that need something to do. Maybe mix up zeus missions with regular AOs?

@Shorts
That's weird, I usually have alot more to do during Zeus missions. Troops need to be placed more carefully and some squads ask for really intense approaches.

I cannot say that I havn't played in boring Zeus missions, with little to no use of pilots (because I have), but generally there is alot more that has to be done and thought of.

I remember one of Luetins missions, it was a dive based one. No use for helicopters when the troops have to stealth their way in to a base. They had to approach via the water, in boats, subs or by swimming. I spent at least an hour straight simply waiting during that mission, but that is a really rare experience.

I do agree, I would love it if they implemented pilots more, but I don't really see how.

A CAS jet could be added, but they often ruin the fun for the guys on the ground and also easily fails missions. Vortex is mainly transportation, but how would you utilize that more than we already do?

Lift things out with the Huron?

I've been practicing my flying more recently with the help of John and a few other guys, making small missions that require precise or unconventional approaches.
And I've found that to be a lot of fun, and a really good learning experience.

I have flown during a couple of Zues missions, but I agree there isn't much for a pilot to do.

But what do you EXPECT to be doing.
The role is there;
Transport....

That doesn't just mean people...

Vehicles - You can always grab a Huron and transport some hunters near to an LZ for people to use - ie Medics/Engineers etc
So they can get from place to place within the AO more rapidly.

Supply drops - Had a great experience the other day on a mission made by Mark-T when -Matosh- did 2 seperate supply runs for us during the course of the mission.

Extraction/Support - in the recent Zues by Luetin - Harald (Someone) ended up having to fly in to an extraction site to pick guys up, knowing that there were possibly still a few guys on the ground, So he had 2 of us jump in the guns and cover the approach.

----------------------

If you want your time as a pilot to seem more interesting, just think of ways you can support the guys on the ground, it can be REALLY rewarding.

Maybe even try out using the Hummingbird to get Medics into really tight places closer to a casualty.
It's a really good little bird for those low and fast approaches.

I think you should be more careful with your use of mortar/artillery.

I don't mind it being used (quite the opposite accually), but sometimes the mortar rounds seem to land too close, too soon, and you can't really counter it - you have to move. If you come in with a helicopter and the enemy don't have eyes on you, they shouldn't fire. Unless the players have engaged the base, or the base has obviously spotted a group, the mortar shouldn't engage.

A few days ago, we landed a helicopter on the foot of a hill, opposite side from visual of the enemies. First mortars landed about 20 seconds after the troops were dropped off, and I died and got revived 3 times, without even showing myself to the base. I don't mind hills being engaged, but don't use the mortar on troops unless you've got eyes on them, and don't zero in perfectly from the get go. Fire the mortar once, adjust and eventually zero in on them. If they troops are too stationary they'll die. Within 2-3 shots the mortars should have zeroed in on the guys, and then a direct mortar strike is justified.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I played my first Zeus mission ever, it was the hostage rescue that failed. It's been a long time since I had so much fun playing a video game with my friends. The artillery shelling, Attack helicopter and paratroopers. It was all very exciting! Please keep running missions like that it was so much fun! :)