THX Ahoyworld team and couple of questions

kman

Hello

being new to Arma and Ahoyworld (victim of recent Steam sale), I like to thank the Ahoyworld team, since your server seem really well run and I'm having lot of fun. Hope I will be ready some day to join your modded ops.

I have couple of questions If anyone would be willing to help.

1) I have lot of trouble locating enemy infantry shooting at/close to me even when they seem to be in very close vicinity. I "think" I know the direction of the shooter by the sound, but I almost never find the shooter before I get shot.
In your experience, how accurate is the shooting sound in telling the direction ? Is there anything in setting or whatnot to improve it ?
I think part of the problem might be that AI sees throug the trees/grass so they can see me althou I cannot see them. I've seen some Youtube videos from Ahoyworld modded ops, where Zeus operator commented on AI often engaging in situations, where people did not have any chance of seeing them (He even godfinger-killed some of those AI to balance).

2) to the helli pilots: how the hell do you do it? :D
I've tried to fly helli in singleplayer - with normal (not advanced) flight model - and landing in FAST manner without wrecking the helli seems rly tough.
But most pilots on EU1/2 seem to do very well - do the profi pilots need to use extra RL hardware (pedals and such) or is this precision possible even with the keyboard/mouse ?

Hello Kman,

Try to spot the enemy before they spot you. In that way you have less "stress" spotting/locating the enemy. Listening works for so far, looking aroud is better i think. Checking the map often adds to awareness. Name tags do NOT always show up if you look at a friendly player,so rely on your observations and map. And once you found an enemy, take cover before you start engaging.

Landing in a fast way is fiding the balance between forward (kinetic energy) and descending (lowering potential energy). Starting to land (plane and helicopter) is about getting ready on time. Start slowing down and start flying lower way before you reach the point were you want to be. It depends on what ur flying, how fast youre flying, were youre flying and some other factors in how safe it is.

With decent headphones, I found the audible feedback fairly accurate. With speakers, not so much, though. Arma is one of the games which, I think, benefit the most from a good sound setup.

If you don't already, try sticking to cover like rocks and burned-out vehicles, then take a moment to look around and plot your approach. This is especially effective with a couple mates, and is then called bounding overwatch when one unit moves, while the other covers.

With an educated guess, consider the most likely enemy position and keep a solid object between you and there, like a rock formation, a house block or even a moving vehicle on an advance. Like PiranhA said, your best bet is to spot them before they spot you, but if they use their AI magic to get their bearing first, you'll be thankful for any centimetre of concrete or steel you can find.

Flying helicopters in ArmA is something that takes practice. Hours and hours of it.

We've had plenty of people asking to be taught, but personally I don't think it's something anyone can enable you to do simply by talking or by classroom instruction. It takes practical flight hours.

Start by watching all of Dslyexci's Art of Flight videos on YouTube, and if you can find a pilot who will take you, fly CoPilot for a while. Look at the approach the pilot is taking, what he does when he slows down, etc. There's a list of maneuvers, and it's actually not that long, it's all just variations on the same themes.

Once you're at that point, you'll know what to strive for, and it becomes a matter of practical experience.

Keep in mind, some of the people you see have been playing the ArmA series since the Flashpoint days, before it was even called ArmA. People like me, who's got more than 2000 hours in ArmA 3 alone :)

With decent headphones, I found the audible feedback fairly accurate. With speakers, not so much, though. Arma is one of the games which, I think, benefit the most from a good sound setup.

If you don't already, try sticking to cover like rocks and burned-out vehicles, then take a moment to look around and plot your approach. This is especially effective with a couple mates, and is then called bounding overwatch when one unit moves, while the other covers.

With an educated guess, consider the most likely enemy position and keep a solid object between you and there, like a rock formation, a house block or even a moving vehicle on an advance. Like PiranhA said, your best bet is to spot them before they spot you, but if they use their AI magic to get their bearing first, you'll be thankful for any centimetre of concrete or steel you can find.

I concur the fire and movement in a squad.

1) I have lot of trouble locating enemy infantry shooting at/close to me even when they seem to be in very close vicinity. I "think" I know the direction of the shooter by the sound, but I almost never find the shooter before I get shot.

In your experience, how accurate is the shooting sound in telling the direction ? Is there anything in setting or whatnot to improve it ?

I think part of the problem might be that AI sees throug the trees/grass so they can see me althou I cannot see them. I've seen some Youtube videos from Ahoyworld modded ops, where Zeus operator commented on AI often engaging in situations, where people did not have any chance of seeing them (He even godfinger-killed some of those AI to balance).

Welcome to the forums.

Having a good headset will allow U to zero in on the direction of the shots.

• The sound of shots fired is somewhat accurate
  • Before entering the hotzone, use laser designator's thermal imaging to scan the horizon. Do not rush in immediately especially when AO just spawned. Bring multiple batteries as you will lose one everytime U get revived/respawned

Hope this helps.

Edited by fir_nev

Summary:

Problem A: AI is SealTeamSix with thermal optics.

1. Use terrain to your advantage.

2. Use map constantly.

3. Learn to navigate with degrees (bearing).

4. Learn to calculate distance

5. Good headphones.

Rule 1: Don't complain about AI seeing through trees. It's an AI. Have fun with it.

Rule 2: Together we shall play. Use teamwork as your main strategy.

Optional: bump voice to 128 channels.

Optional 2: Avoid 3rd person. You are not God.

Problem B: Flying helicopter (rotorcraft,aircraft)

1. Practice

2. More practice

3. Something, something

4. More practice.

5. Never reach full profit

6. Repeat from 1.

Optional: Use of advanced flight control is really really nice but really10x hard. If you don't have joypad with additional stuff like pedals, you'll need to do some refinements to your mouse and use another keybindings (wheel to 1 scroll, mouse wheel glide on) Even then you'll need months of practice to make it good.

Be aware AhoyWorld doesn't like people practicing when it's primetime. Please avoid that since players get frustrated not being able to reach actual AO.

Best of plays,

Plant.

For quick touchdowns a rule of thumb is forward speeds greater than 40kmph and descending speed of greater than 3m/s will wreck your helo, there are some with higher tolerances, some with less. Most have mechanical or electronic dials and a few come with HUDs that display your apoapsis (direction of travel with current energy, using the hell-cat at low speed and putting in control input and you can see it changes drastically). Use these systems to your advantage and always realise when the LZ isn't suitable

Almost every point in here have been adressed, but there are still a few points to be made.

First of all, you need to learn how to listen to the sounds of Arma. It used to be really easy to pick up where the rounds were fiered from, but they've patched the sound several times since launch. Sounds have improved immensely since the launch of Arma 3, sounds indoors are muffeled if you're utdoors and vice versa. Loud sounds will have an echo, and you'll have to concider that sounds in general travel slower than the bullets flying towards you. All in all, it can get pretty disorienting pretty fast.

If you're taking fire, you'll most likely first hear the crack of the bullet passing near you. If you hear that crack, drop on the ground/behind some cover and then try and listen carefully - you will hear the sound of the shot shortly after (depending on the range of the shot). Ignore the bullet crack, and just try and listen to the sound of the bullet getting fiered. It can be really confusing in the beginning, but after you've learned what to listen for you can usually figure out an estimated direction. If you cannot by audio locate the gunner, you can try to with reasoning figure out where he could possibly be, check possible anges which could have fiered towards you and stay behind cover from those specific angles.

If you want to learn how to fly helicopter, you'll have to practice. Flying helicopters in Arma is not as easy as it is in manny other games, as you need to balance your helicopter yourself. The only way to accually learn how to fly the helicopters are to force yourself to accually fly them. I was horrible at flying in the beginning, but practice, practice practice and eventually you'll get the hang of it. Scenarios is a good way to practice flying, simply download a few helicopter scenarios from the steam workshop and give it some time.

Most pilots I've talked to prefere to fly with keyboard and mouse in Arma and I dare to say that with the standard flight system, it is superior. The game plays horribly with joysticks, but some people still manage to use theirs. I've got an expensive joystick, but I won't use that for Arma, at least not with the basic flight system. Use keyboard for fast and snappy inputs, and make really small adjustments with your mouse.

There are plenty of helicopter tutorials on youtube, but those are not helpful unless you've first played around some in the helicopters. You need to get confortable with the basics prior to learning the slightly more advanced stuff.

I personally love flying in Arma. I've flown for hundreds of hours and I still go back to just flying around by myself at times. I've found a mission in the steam workshop called "NMD sandbox" or something similar to that and it basically allows you to play around and easily spawn vehicles, make yourself invounerable, teleport around the map and such, all while being in the scenario or a server that you're hosting yourself. It's really good practice, and I do recommend giving it a try. I usually do it if I'm too tiered to play seriously.

Spawn yourself a helicopter, say a hummingbird (easiest helicopter to learn) and simply fly around, explore the map. Turn down the volume of the game, crank up some music and just practice. How low can you fly? Where can you manage to land? Can you fly under those power wires? Does this helicopter fit in this tower? You learn so much, the knowledge is invaluable.