Less Enemy Jet Spawn + Taru Add

J. Yates

Hi, I really have been wanting this for a long time, but would you guys beable to decrease the spawn rate of enemy jet (CAS & AA), its getting out of hand that there are always 2 in the air even after they are taken out. Also, another thing I really want and I bet everyone else wants it the Taru Transport and Taru Bench added in! I really don't want to fly out and get taken out by a jet right away and also, people love the view on the bench and also the roleplay it can be like in the taru's. Its just next gen.

If you have competent pilots, then the CAS threat shouldn't be a problem. And for the Taru, i do like how you can sit on the bench, however i think it should be left as a a side mission reward because the helicopters available now are just as good, it works fine as it is.

This isn't really an issue when everything works the way it should, but at times when there are fewer players online, or if the jet pilot isn't capable enough it can be a pain. 

This was the case yesterday. The AA pilot didn't perform very well and there were plenty of enemy jets in the air, shooting at the helicopters both in spawn and to/from AO. 

After an hour or two the jet pilot left and I stepped up to take his place. First thing to happen is that I get shot at while taxying to the runway, great.

After waiting for another jet (10 min) I'm airborne. Straight into combat, takes out 4 jets and need to rearm. During the time I land and rearm another jet respawns and shoot me down when on the ground, so I'm forced to wait another 10 minutes and thus the air is filled with jets again. During the very next takeoff I'm taking fire on the runway, but manages to get up and airborne and later take out the enemy jets. 

The AI is really stupid and flies horrendously bad, but they tend to get the jump on you when you're on the ground. They shoot as you take off, land or rearm, and you can't really do much to avoid it. If you get shot down, you're back to waiting another 10 minuits, there's just so much dead time, time spent simply waiting for a rearm or your jet to respawn. Other than that, they're so bad that it's barely fun to take the jet and fight them. I only took that role yesterday because we needed someone to kill the Jets, not because I wanted to, and I'm a guy love flying both the jets and helicopters in Arma.

The issue is that you spend so much time simply waiting for the jet to spawn or rearm. You could basically tab down and use a timer for the spawn when you die, since you'll have to wait anyways. Sure, you could take a helicopter and try and do a dropoff, but then another pilot would take the jet slot unless you're back at the hangar as it respawns, and you usually won't be.

This could be solved in different ways. 

The respawn and rearm time of the jet could be decreased, and the base AA could be extended to cover the landingstrip better. 

Me personally would love a combo of this, combined with having AI difficulty increased slightly on the jets, but I understand that that might not be possible without changing difficulty on everything else.

Anyways, long spawn times and too dull AI makes jets quite boring in I&A. It also causes frustration among the troops, who usually blame the helicopter pilots for taking missiles from enemy jets.

Basically, rather than decreseing the ammount of enemy jets, decrese the downtime of the friendly jets.

the source of all evil isnt the "respawn/rearm time of the jet" - its more the absolut ignorance of Priority objectives,in this case >getting the radiotower down< !

As you shown in your example,if you manage to shoot 4 enemy jets in a row that proves your ground team has no clue on how to execute their operation.

I recall I+A when jets were side rewards only (AA+CAS Buzzard),the pilots were focused mainly on transport only - these days you see pilots camping the jet spawn regulary and give a fkk on their main role which still is TRANSPORT in all sort and forms.

Everyone and their mom wants to reenact their inner Maverik and the Buzzard isnt good enough once a Fake10 gets rewarded ...

Getting back on topic,there s several solutions to this issue and none of em requires a change of mission/script :

• insert EoD/Demo teams nearby tower quickly once AO starts,allowing em to take tower down
  • have a Forward Team laser designating the Radiotower for the UAVop and his Greyhawks
  • ask for AT soldiers to do base protection with Titan AA´s when Base Defence is unavailable
  • make use of side reward Cheetah´s for base protection

In conclusion,all your base belongs to me ... !

:blink:

TheScar, you overestimate the teamplay during weekdays. During weekends, when the servers are propperly populated it works fine, but especially later at night during working days, the servers are less populated and the people playing rarely if ever cooporate.

I know that the goal is to have everyone cooporate, but you mainly get a bunch of lonewolfs at later hours. I completly agree with what you're saying, but I'm also realizing that it's usually working really bad at later hours, as the playercount drops and the towers don't get taken down in time. You simply cannot do it all by yourself and you are usually stuck in a situation where there arn't enough compentent, cooperative players online to accually accomplish such a task.

TheScar, you overestimate the teamplay during weekdays. During weekends, when the servers are propperly populated it works fine, but especially later at night during working days, the servers are less populated and the people playing rarely if ever cooporate.

I know that the goal is to have everyone cooporate, but you mainly get a bunch of lonewolfs at later hours. I completly agree with what you're saying, but I'm also realizing that it's usually working really bad at later hours, as the playercount drops and the towers don't get taken down in time. You simply cannot do it all by yourself and you are usually stuck in a situation where there arn't enough compentent, cooperative players online to accually accomplish such a task.

I agree, when me and my friends play on the server there are usually 20 people on. It takes like 2-3 hours to do a single mission. I have been a pilot and jets can be somewhat frustrating when I am the only one at base. But, I do agree that they add needed challenges and more reasons for cooperation. I usually play 5-8pm CST on weekdays.

I agree with Someone,

the respawn time should be decreased maybe 5 min. and rearm in 2 min.

When the troops take out the Tower first and all of the  enemy jets are down then you are flying around and nothing else happens till the new AO starts again.

Or the Jets  that spawn could swap so that we have a few AG´s to take out enemy armor

srsly ...

the skill of one pilot is not the deciding factor here

I+A is setup as COOP mission meaning your team should work together in order to achieve the goal.

Adapting enemy count/force to the casual gamer to make them even think less and get easier transfers is not what I+A should achieve ...

And like the Fish mentioned before,taking away challenge is a bad thing for everyone,the AO enemy count is already on a low,less jets means making the pilots life easier so they can fly a few more dozen halfempty/+1/+2 flights more,shipping even more canonfodder in illiterate LZs

On a side note,the script  adapting the enemy count to player count seems to be working good for ground forces,but doesnt seem to affect the jets that get spawned per AO (always 2 once playercount is higher than 4) - this should be checked and tweaked so the 2  enemy jets will only get spawned once playercount is over 20 (example),under 20 it decreases to 1

One may think we should add a script opening/closing pilots slots according to playercount too :lol:

I see your point,dont get me wrong there - but giving the pilots even more toys or a easier life isnt what i m aiming at  - pure darwinism ^_^

I've seen servers get left more or less empty after a jet pilot leaves, unless someone else steps up to take their place. If the troops get shot down too manny times in the helicopters, they will get bored, frustrated and eventually leave.

I usually manage to fly people to the AO, even when the jets up, but that isn't the important part. The AI is bad, it isn't putting up much of a fight to the jet pilots, but they still shoot down the helicopters/jets in spawn and is generally a pain unless some pilot takes the buzzard AA to keep the skies clear. You often get theese scenarios when noone wants to fly the buzzard, and I understand why - it's boring.

I don't like flying the buzzard-AA on the everyday I&A, it's dull. It's too easy, AI is stupid and you get killed while on the ground, not while fighting. Once the towers are down, you're flying around, doing nothing. Either you respawn and do some helicopter drops, or you wait in the air. If you respawn, the air will be filled with jets as soon as a new AO spawns, and thus the helicopters will get shot down (don't overestimate the average pilot), and if you chose to keep on flying you'll simply be waiting for anything interesting to happen. I'm quite patient and don't really mind waiting, but what are we waiting for? Some more dull AI jets that don't put up any kind of fight,? An AI in which you'll shoot one missile in, or chase behind incredibly close and finish with your main gun, without the AI even trying to shake you off. Other than that, you spend so much time simply waiting for things to happen. You're waiting for your rearm to complete, wounerable on the ground and often taking fire from hostile jets, and you're waiting for the jet to respawn.

I wouldn't mind increasing the difficulty or even spawnrate of the enemy jets. I like the idea of having jets in the air, having something to accually avoid, something which force me to be more careful and on my toes when flying helicopters, but for that to work you need your buzzard to be active. You need a pilot for it and you need him in the air as often as possible. Having a jet pilot waiting in spawn helps noone, and it isn't fun for the pilot, and not having anyone on the jet bebcause it's dull and you spend all your time waiting, that doesn't help anyone either. I'd even go as far as saying that I dislike taht the enemy tigrises won't fire at you unless you're within 1km from them, I'd much rather have the AO being somewhat dangerous, but that isn't the point here.

I see your point aswell and I somewhat agree with what you're saying, but it's fairly often not working propperly.

I agree with some of the sentiments and understand the challenges here.

It's about balance and teamwork, and in the short space of time I've been in the group I've found the AI AA and Air Assets are unrelenting. I really hate seeing people I'm transporting being killed immediately after take off, because AI gets the jump.

However... What I hate even more than that though ...is the players deriding the pilots and stating they're poor pilots or team killing due the complexity of the situation, this is the true imbalance. All players must be aware of the tactical situation and support the pilots, not just solely depend on them to resolve the situation themselves and deliver success to others. Enemy aircraft are enemy to all, not just pilots, but its the pilots who get the flak...just watch the comments role...!

So for me the resolution here is better awareness from all on how to support your pilots, and pilots supporting each other, which I'm pleased to say, I've seen some very good examples and some very clever collaborations with your established pilots. I'm hoping overtime to be as respected as they are. May be some of those more experienced pilots wish to come together and write a piece to share amongst the community to discuss the challenges and propose better ways of working together. You know - gentle education and collaboration. It could maybe be video which is easier to digest and absorb?

If I could ask for wish one though fairy godfather......it would be to ditch the Merlin and add a second MH6 hummingbird or AH6, which would offer greater flexibility and dynamics to our troops and pilots. I believe this might brighten thing up. The Ghost-hawk's and Huron are fine, but the Merlin is the person no one wants on their team and is only picked out of lack of options. If there are to be valuable assets then at least make it ones which add value to the gameplay and player experience.

Many Regards

Pilot Boondog

I've seen servers get left more or less empty after a jet pilot leaves, unless someone else steps up to take their place. If the troops get shot down too manny times in the helicopters, they will get bored, frustrated and eventually leave

The people youre talking about will be silent in history. The nay-sayers and the cant-do-ers. This sort of people will never improve their skills couse their mentality dosnt allow them. Stuck in fear and frustration. 

So for me the resolution here is better awareness from all on how to support your pilots, and pilots supporting each other, which I'm pleased to say, I've seen some very good examples and some very clever collaborations with your established pilots. I'm hoping overtime to be as respected as they are. May be some of those more experienced pilots wish to come together and write a piece to share amongst the community to discuss the challenges and propose better ways of working together. You know - gentle education and collaboration. It could maybe be video which is easier to digest and absorb?

I agree with what you're saying, but I honestly don't think that a video wouldn't help in any kind of way.

The people you find here on the forum is the rare lot who accually bother to play the game propperly. The ones whos names you will find here are already the teamplayers, the lone wolfers don't bother to accually join the community. The ones who flame, the people who give pilots flak are generally not the ones you'll find here on the forum, at least not as far as I've noticed.

I've even had the response "it's a public server, you're playing too serious" as I've asked people to cooporate with simple tasks. Asking someone to pull a medic out of danger so that another medic won't have to risk it, activating the base AA when the base is getting attacked by jets or simply asking someone not to be driving 2 meter behind a convoy seem to be "far too serious" to some players, and those players will never watch that video.

It's a casual server, with casual players. I'm not saying that everything should be dumbed down, I just want to point out that a large portion of the players arn't willing to cooporate. Even thoguh much could be solved with simple cooperation, you have to have the playerbase in mind.

I think the simplest of solutions here is to reduce the cooldown on the 'In Base' AA.

The frustrating part is the vehicles in Base being harrassed and destroyed when the servers are less populated.
Most Pilots I've been in with are more than competent at avoiding the Jets once in the air, it's the times landing/taking-off that they're vulnerable.

Out at AO's etc this can be dealt with by simply changing a LZ location, but at the Main Base everything is funnelled.

When there's only 15-20 people on a server, it becomes a nightmare, people get shot down 3-4 times in a row and this causes frustration,
which in turn causes tempers to rise and name-calling etc to begin.

A shorter cooldown on the AA will mean that instead of slaughter, there will be a short time of a few minutes where the Base will be a kind of 'dead-zone', with all air vehicles grounded until the AA is ready to go again.

As it stands, it takes so long for the AA to become active again that you can't even get people out to hit the Towers because no-one can get out of the base.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

playing on Ahoyworld just few days I have to agree that amount of times I'v been shot down while being transported by helli is quite high.

At least strenghtening bluefor base automated AA defence, so that our hellis / planes are no destroyed while in base, would be certainly nice.

PS:

Do I understand right from the conversation that taking down Radiotower somehow affect spawn rate of enemy airpower ?

Maybe we could make a poll for this situation?

Truth is, yes it's hard during weekdays when there are less (competent) players/pilots on the servers.

Like Scar said, it really shouldnt be a problem.

You could consider inviting a few engaged people into a small squad to go and finish the mission by prioritizing your roles per member of your squad and make sure you take down the RT first. If you give yourself a little time and start asking some people there are allways players who gonna want to tag along but don't have the guts to ask others themselves, let alone to teamlead.

There are lots of different options to finish an AO that is 'full' of CAS and communication is the key!

Do I understand right from the conversation that taking down Radiotower somehow affect spawn rate of enemy airpower ?

Yes, that way the enemy can't ask for any airsupport anymore ;) so pack 2 charges and a mine detector (other ways to do it 2 ;) ) and blow that shit up!

Good luck!