how seriously do people play on eu3?

so i just recently started playing on eu3 and with some people messing around a bit, wearing goofy uniforms and others strictly following a radioprotocol and sticking to the marpat wood(me included). I want to ask a question. how far into milsim stuff would most of you want to take it? me personally, i love squad and fireteamleading but i dont like extensive goofiness. jokes here and  there are always nice but i'd like to get peoples opinion on this. do you like to do formations, do you mind if FTL assings a sector for you and do you mind following radioprotocols and moving in a convoy properly? would you mind if your ftl would like you to stick to a certain uniform so everyone doesnt look like just whatever. i like to know this stuff because i know from experience that some people get mad when i tell them to cover our 6 and he cant look at the exiting stuff. people dont want to be with too strict ftl's or sql's for that matter.

Haven't played in a long while, but goofy behavior is something that may occur when low populated or there isn't proper command structure.

I didn't have issues with that as much, but had some problems with people following orders, even if it was a bad or a good decision.

New members from that time may have improved since then and id just recommend you go try game nights on EU3,

there you can see better, what the server can be at its best.

as for uniforms and loadouts, last time i checked the only restriction was to remain in your specific role loadout weapons.

However on gamenights uniforms are restricted and often so is the weaponry / loadout.

Formations can be used anytime by the leader, at least most people here do know formations. I mostly use only staggered column / column and line,

most simple commands that wont cause mass confusion.

Convoying generally have  performed well, but its when reaching contact occationally resulted is mass disorganization if purpose is to keep moving

and i mean like massive spread of 1km radius. (Yes, this managed to happen at least once)

Dont know if the radio freq. are shitty again, but during the times i preferred when people kept when on defaults, so each time you die and load your gear

it would always be automatically at the same frequencies with your squad and longwaves. Making own unnecessary custom channels just caused headache.

At anyrate, as squad leader you have authority over your fireteams, if you tell them to do something, its their obligation to make it happen.

They can always say its not possible and such, but they arent allowed to go rambo and do their own thing.

I have heard the expression "we aren't milsim, we are tacticool" being used. Not sure how accurate it is, except for the fact that we are not milsim.

following a radioprotocol and sticking to the marpat wood
following radioprotocols and moving in a convoy properly

This is to be expected from EU3 players, as far as I know.

do formations, do you mind if FTL assings a sector for you and do you mind ? would you mind if your ftl would like you to stick to a certain uniform so everyone doesnt look like just whatever.

This depends heavily on the fireteam leader. Some like to use formations or the same uniform, some don't care. Usually people comply when asked to use the same uniform and move in formations.

I feel EU3 is for serious gameplay, but not extremely strict like a milsim server, where not knowing how to perform a certain formation will get you banned (this is an exaggeration. I hope.)

ok, nice to get answers so fast. the uniform thing was actually what i was most worried about because formations are pretty much basic stuff but some people get super mad when i tell them to change their loadout around. atleast on public AW servers

Asking nicely will get you far, especially on eu3 :)

I've been on EU3 since it first came out and i've seen it adapt through mission design and the players that play it, I've also adapted some.  B)

When I first saw played EU3, to me and a few others it was a modded EU1, we didn't really know where the server would go, but as time went on we began to take it more seriously and with TFAR it became apparent that the server would be a teamplay and communication style server, much more in depth than that of EU1.

From the start, and passing through the months, I was more on the casual side, just there for the laughs but one thing I did do a lot and took quite serious was Squadleading Alpha, I was essentially the main squadleader of Alpha with Josh usually squadleading Bravo who's callsign was changed to Badger, and Johnson also leading Bravo which was then made Tombstone. It was a fun time back then on Patrol Ops and people took it quite serious but I was still pretty goofy.

Eventually, shiz hit the fan, and I got banned a total of 3 times, 1st time for blowing everyone up at the end of a gamenight with a RPG when people turned to executing POW's :P , second time for daring Dildor to shoot me with a RPG, he uh, followed through, and 3rd time for going on a mutiny, which resulted in a lot of people getting banned as well but I took it that one step too far.  :unsure:

Anyway, after being "perma-banned" for almost a year, I adapted on my playstyle, with the help of Johnson and a few realism community's, I became a "no bullshit" player, I still occasionally have a little laugh however it will not be a laugh that ruins the mission, more of a "hey look at this dead taliban haha now lets get back to it boys".

Luckily for me, the staff gave me that sec- uh, thir- no, uh forth? I dunno, they gave me another chance basically, which I am eternally grateful for :rolleyes: , I may of hurt a lot of people with my behavior in the past but I work to always improve.  ;)

Did this get off topic? I dunno, basically in a nutshell, I like to take EU3 very seriously, i'm a hardcore realism player happy to step into mil-sim but obviously you wont find that on EU3, so we'll stick with hardcore realism, like I said, I will have a laugh from time to time but I like to get right down to business.  :ph34r:

To answer some of your questions:

Yes I do like to use formations; wedge is good for moving across fields, column for woodline and staggered column for roads, and the trusty line for attacks, a couple echelons can also be useful if you want a wedge but focused on a flank. I also like good convoys, good use of staggered column's and having the gunners scan different sectors, peel manuevers are always welcome should the need arise. Also, as a guy that teamleads fairly frequently, I do like to split my men up into "buddy teams" which are basically two man teams and assign them to specific sectors to make sure i'm getting the most out of my men. Lastly, i'm fine with guys dressing their own way, I can't really force them to wear the same as me, although I do prefer it, however, if they are just gunna dress ridiculously, I will most likely bring it up.

PS: I'm one of those guys that go Marpat only, or atleast on a very regular basis  :lol:

From the start, and passing through the months, I was more on the casual side, just there for the laughs but one thing I did do a lot and took quite serious was Squadleading Alpha, I was essentially the main squadleader of Alpha with Josh usually squadleading Bravo who's callsign was changed to Badger, and Johnson also leading Bravo which was then made Tombstone. It was a fun time back then on Patrol Ops and people took it quite serious but I was still pretty goofy.

You also played alot of medic, before you fell for this milsim stuff ;-;

For me it pretty much comes down to if it delays the gameplay or not. Some joking is fine (and needed) however when pissing about at base or in an AO means I'm waiting around for longer than required then it's not serious enough. I quite simply do not have the patience or time to waste looking at my PC screen but not actually playing* the game.

*= by playing at include things like mission planning which otherwise might seem boring but are necessary to making the most of the game.

For any non-gamenight session, being goofy is often part of the experience. Most of us haven't been in an actual military unit, and what is essentially playing pretend can be taken on a multitude of levels. The "veterans" (not even sure I am one yet) are usually on the same wavelengths, and if one day they're not, they all are mature enough to ask for what's up and about and comply on common grounds.

There are some things I can get really pissed off with, and I consider them my personal pet peeves.

Firstly, and I've brought this up before, I frequently find myself picturing to strangle those who keep their ACRE settings on shouting or unnecessarily loud levels, and thus talk over each other from 50 metres away. There's no way to make out who's talking to you or where a voice is coming from, and it drives me crazy after a very short while.

Secondly, when people simply refuse or ignore commands issued by their direct superior (which is often the fireteam leader) and sprint ahead or out of cover just for the sake of quick and dirty action. I appreciate some fucking about and going rambo once in a while, but if there's a plan in place, it's just rude to topple it all over.

So basically it comes down to using common sense and not being rude. There's a premise given by EU3, and the expectations you can have are fairly obvious. We have training nights now, so just drop by and see what we teach, you'll be able to deduct the atmosphere from the stuff you learn.