Limited Arsenal Discussion

As far as I am aware, the arsenal has been limited to prevent people from playing dress-up at spawn, rather than getting out and doing the AOs. That's fair enough. However, having to leave the server, load up virtual arsenal, add a single item to a loadout, leave virtual arsenal, rejoin the server (hoping for your previous role to remain available through all this), then reload your gear and get to the AO, just to get some decent NVGs, a LAM, or a specific weapon sight is just a complete and utter pain in the arse(nal). Can we please either get everything but uniforms, vests etc made available, or just have the usual arsenal?

I agree with what Josh says

STOP SAYING 'DRESS UP'!

I've brought it up over the past like 2 months, it started in patrol ops as a joke, not its just an awful phrase.

And yeah, Arsenal got fucked over a little bit but should be fixed up soon.

I would like a limited arsenal though but only if we limit it to the correct things, as long as it is kept realistic, it will be simple and effective.

I know I dont play on EU3 with massive regularity but I would just explain how I setup for EU3 missions. The Arsenal there takes a long time to setup what you want, now anyone with some sense would take the time maybe an hour or so the day before or earlier before a mission night to set their kit so that when you join in, you go over you load your kit and youre ready to go. This is what I have done on nearly all EU3 missions I took part in.

I dont think that it would be too extreme to expect people to do this. It could easily be a condition for taking part in EU3 missions that you preset your gear into 2-4 basic loadouts that can be easily and quickly amended before a mission begins.

This would solve the issue without limiting the arsenal to a frustrating degree.

I agree with Luetin, I made myself a loadout for each role that I want to play, each role has 3 loadouts (winter, desert and woods) of everything I need.. I put silencer and NVG on my backpack and I made an inventory loadout with stuff that I might need like extra radios, earplugs etc.. and when I need it I just load the inventory loadout, put what I want in the arsenal's inventory, load the needed loadout and take the stuff from the inventory, problem solved..

I think that the limited arsenal is actually a nice idea.. cause I've noticed alot of people waste over 10 minutes in the arsenal just for a nice look, including myself, then I ended up missing my ride and had to wait alot for the vortex.. so I just went into the virtual arsenal and made all those loadouts.. now I'm good to go in 5 seconds.. 

The point the OP was making is that yes having premade loadouts is great but if a situation requires say a different sight that is in the mod pack but is not one you would commonly use it is annoying that it is not in the arsenal. 

yes everyone should have loadouts made but we are currently talking about the ammending part that should take 5 seconds but now takes 5 minutes due to logging out modifying then relogging. 

Making your own loadouts in the non-EU3 virtual arsenal is a grand idea, and noble, especially if the intention is to save time pre-mission in order to get the gear you want/need and then head off to the AO.  Unfortunately, it doesn't help.

The problem is that outside of EU3, in the virtual arsenal you have access to everything your MODset allows, and you can make loadouts that have gear that the EU3 arsenal has not whitelisted.  As far as I am aware there is no script that checks what you have loaded against what is whitelisted, and removes what is not allowed.  So it's a moot point, you have saved time but you may have loaded gear that is officially not allowed in the mission.

Update: I should really check this stuff out more deeply before I write so authoritatively.  You can't actually load a loadout which contains something which isn't whitelisted in the Virtual Arsenal as Gauntlet defines it.  So this kind of whitelisting is already in place.  However, it does come back to the point that setting up a loadout outside of EU3 is a great idea, but if you aren't in sync with the VA that's present in-mission, your loadout won't be available to you.

In addition, if you create a loadout that has an ACRE radio attached to it, the odds are good that it will not work in the mission.  This is because the Virtual Arsenal assigns a specific radio ID to your radios (ie., your PRC-343's class name is "ACRE_PRC343_ID_1", while in Gauntlet the ACRE module assigns radios ("ACRE-PRC343") and then assigns them a class name according to your player slot (if you're the 18th player, your radio will be "ACRE_PRC343_ID_18").  If you're not the first player, then your radio will likely not work properly because "ACRE_PRC343_ID_1" has already been assigned to another player.

This is above and beyond the point that you can create loadouts with radios that your role should not have access to (ie., a Rifleman with a PRC-117).

So, while you have good intentions with loadouts you create from the Virtual Arsenal, you are actually producing more problems than you are solving.

-R

N.B. The only reasonable way that this can be solved is a script needs to be created that reviews the player's equipment, compares it against the Virtual Arsenal's whitelist, and removes any equipment that is not approved.  At the same time, the script can parse the player's equipped radios, remove the player's versions and assign new radios of the appropriate class, with class names that will work in the mission.  In an ideal world the script is fired when the Virtual Arsenal box's inventory is closed but I can't see a convenient event handler that will do this: a trigger surrounding the Virtual Arsenal, however, would probably work just fine.

Edited by Ryko
'Cos I'm wrong.

@Parabolic this would also work, but you will also run into the situation of team members taking radios they aren't supposed to take.
True, but this would be no worse than TFAR when this could also happen, and all players who used correct radios as per guidance would be OK, rather than issue randomly affecting people. This could also be managed in the same way as weapons are for different roles.
The boxes are there anyway, they can always just take them.

I think that not spawning with them would reduce the likelihood of old radios being dumped back in the crates, 'polluting' the non-bugged ones.

Radio crates could also be placed away from the Arsenal, perhaps at the staging areas, so kit and load outs would less likely be saved with them in.

That's most likely the future Para, we will see how it works first handed Sunday night as I removed all radios from spawnies.

Imo limited arsenal is great, as 40 different individual running around with different uniforms is just silly. Small differences such as helmet goggles backpacks is great enough for me PERSONALLY.

Icy, while I agree with that, I think it's far nicer to allow flexibility in uniforms. We're limited (technically) to climate-specific dress, and that works. Multicam, marpat, AOR... It's all down to personal preference. For me, 3C is my preferred desert scheme. I dislike almost all modern camouflages, so it works well.

As long as we don't have people wearing the Takistani special forces gear, or woodland camo in a desert theatre, I don't see an issue in greater levels of variation.

As an afterthought, we frequently get friends working together in squads, wearing similar loadouts (or at least we did before the arsenal changes); this adds to the above.

While I understand your well-put out argument I must add that the more variations we add to our gameplay sessions , the more dependencies/desync and performance issues we get.

Sure this is also sometimes not the case as uniforms are created beautifully and textures are balanced by the modders. I, myself and me just rather have a single, two or perhaps three different ones to choose from as would be in r-l depending on my role.

Would that be something you could life with? Or do you absolutely need 20 different choices because you get bored with them after a couple hours or because you only like a specific one?

I know you're a fan of 3rd person so Uniforms are very important to you, I presume. Mabey its an idea for valiant if you have f. e ë standard ones and then every patch it cycles through new ones. Kind of like a spotlight.

I know you're a fan of 3rd person so Uniforms are very important to you

Nope. Not this at all.  :rolleyes:

I understand your point of view, but has it not always been said that EU3 isn't a milsim server? To me, it looks like we're moving more and more towards that; what with ACRE, possible loadout limitations, and such. 

I'm not sure on anyone else, but I like to make loadouts based on photos of real life in-theatre gear; I have a large amount of images I use for reference. I do go through phases as you've suggested, but I tend to stick around the same vein; for desert specifically. Desert Storm/Mogadishu/early OIF loadouts just sit well with me. 

I don't think different uniforms will have any impact on performance or desync.

I thought the more arsenal stuff, the worse for performance? My baaad.

Nope. Not this at all.  :rolleyes:

I understand your point of view, but has it not always been said that EU3 isn't a milsim server? To me, it looks like we're moving more and more towards that; what with ACRE, possible loadout limitations, and such. 

Limitations dont mean its a mill-sim server! Is that what you associate with mill-sim the most? I think theres many important factors that mill-sim has that we dont such as ranks and more organization :P.

I guess more uniforms arent that bad now that I overthought it a bit, I do think there is a lil too much still.