EU 3 Christmas Update

Greetings to the EU 3 members.

VwgrbgU.jpg

Today we have a special update for you all. 

We will be adding the winter version of Chernarus with a version of Gauntlet complete with a snowstorm. This will be available to play on from now until January 4th. 

Secondly, we are switching from TFAR to ACRE. ACRE works very similarly to TFAR, however, there are some big changes. Changes such as things like duplex, different hotkeys (Caps is still radio PTT), and set radio channels.

Cool! Thanks, BACONMOP!

Any specific reasons for the switch from TFAR to ACRE?  Was TFAR deficient in some way?

Having looked at

- a great intro for new ACRE users - it looks like it'll be a great switch!  It also looks like it'll be much less of a pain to deal with in mission making than TFAR!

People have been begging and crying and whining for this map, then we play it, people come and go. Happily making a plan to solo an AO Then 3 people turn up, they get wiped and immediately start complaining about the snow and commence a #vote missions. Nice, real polite. Apparently this is the kind of BS that EU3 turned into. Nice going.

People have been begging and crying and whining for this map, then we play it, people come and go. Happily making a plan to solo an AO Then 3 people turn up, they get wiped and immediately start complaining about the snow and commence a #vote missions. Nice, real polite. Apparently this is the kind of BS that EU3 turned into. Nice going.

There are several factors that may be causing low population.

A. Mod update, people could be still updating their mods and configuring(or troubleshooting) ACRE

B. Server isn't configured properly for ACRE, i.e. some roles are not given the radios that they need, which will (hopefully) be fixed soon, might dissuade people from playing

C. It's the holidays, this update was pushed out right before Christmas, many of us are spending time with family, meaning less time playing

There is no doubt that server pop will begin to climb again in the coming days and weeks.

Slightly more on-topic:

The snow effect on Chernarus winter is truly abysmal. It produces near-whiteout effects in spawn, but even flying 10 meters up there is zero visible snowfall. I'm not sure how configurable the effect is, but it either needs to be disabled completely or become more consistent, and also it shouldn't snow if it's a bright sunny day(evidenced by perfectly silhouetted shadows).

Side note: Does the snowfall affect the AI? because it undeniably affects players, Chernarus already has the problem of AI shooting through opaque trees and this might worsen things.

Unfortuetly the snow storm effect is a bit on the "not so pretty" side of things, but the map itself looks nice in a winter  scene. It is funny to suddenly run into 10+ russians while hoofing it throught a thick snow storm, and having all hell brake loose, though the AI are definitly in advantage there.

As for low population, yeah it is the hollidays, and up till say January you are likely to see few people on at this time. I myself had a family meeting yesterday, and today will be buisy too.  

There are several factors that may be causing low population.

A. Mod update, people could be still updating their mods and configuring(or troubleshooting) ACRE

B. Server isn't configured properly for ACRE, i.e. some roles are not given the radios that they need, which will (hopefully) be fixed soon, might dissuade people from playing

C. It's the holidays, this update was pushed out right before Christmas, many of us are spending time with family, meaning less time playing

I wasn't complaining about the server population, I do however have an issue with people complaining ingame then initiating a #vote missions then immediately logging off to fix their loadouts in arsenal. It's incredibly rude to outvote people who've been playing an AO longer than you, just because you don't like the map. It happened to me yesterday and it's incredibly rude.

Furthermore, the snow is buggy as fuck, but whatever, it's supposed to be a Christmas special which will be gone on the 4th of January anyway Personally I wouldn't put in any more effort than the staff already did. Some of the people on EU3 really do come over as spoiled brats...

So I be the first to say I guess: Thanks staff! I really enjoy the map, the snow is of odd forms but it's fun when it works :)

I definitely feel that if the snow effect was better made/limited to light flurries, and if we'd left the TFAR/ACRE switch to a later date, a lot more people would partake in EU3's snow map. ACRE seems to be incredibly buggy and difficult to learn to use to the level we used TFAR; I suspect this weighs heavily on a few of the regular players.

ACRE isn't that more difficult from TFAR, it just takes time to get used to, just like TFAR. I really think it's more a case of "I don't like chaaaange!", but once you see the potential of ACRE it's far better than TFAR.

It would help if people would post on the forums what kind of issues they are having, that way we can help those in trouble far more quickly.

You have to give stuff like acre sone time, at least a week or 2!

When TFAR came into eu3 I remember people saying stuff like;"this only adds delay to the start up, it's not tactical at all. "

That is a very shortminded answer but you get the point!

Now we can't play without the same radios! Anyone whining about the snow,when was on last time presumably snow was turned off by staff or mods, so that problem seems fixed.

I appreciate all of the hard work during the holidays that has gone in to make Gauntlet playable since the recent updates, but the server is in a weird spot right now.

ACRE, while superior to TFAR on paper, is in a very unreliable state on the server. While my preference definitely lies with ACRE (after using it a lot in Arma 2), it's simply not functioning as it should on EU3 and is leading to a lot of frustration.

The biggest issues currently include Babel setting people to incorrect languages, and being unable to hear specific people transmitting over the radio(specifically on the 152 and 117, where local is not an option).

Are these issues just a part of the transition to ACRE, or is it some incompatibility with EU3 that needs to be worked around?