Suggested add-on: Chernarus Winter

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=29752

We've all been saying how neat it would be if there was a winter map: well, as of the end of October, apparently there is.

A listed requirement is the All in Arma Terrain Pack (AiA TP) - but that's a requirement for FSF Al Rayak, and we play that - so we should be good to go, right?

-R

IIRC, before the switch to the CUP maps, which caused the dropping of AiA, the enemy was able to see me through foliage. I think I'd be finding the winter camo nice for three days after which I would probably be frustrated again by the lack of quality in the AiA.

Then on a second thought: in winter there isn't any foliage in the trees.. or is there?

Would we have to download the whole several gigabytes of AiA again and would it coexist with the CUP?

My guess is that AiA = CUP terrain, which means this would work - at least, Al Rayak has AiA listed as a requirement, and I don't have that, and that works fine, so logically we should be able to run Cherno winter.  And yes, there "should" be no foliage in winter... one of the reasons I'd really like this map!

• 3 weeks later...

Development can be a bit slow in December and I pretty sure Christiansen is working on some way cooler stuff.

I'll try and see what strings I can pull and what I can do myself to realise this, but of course it's going to have to be discussed with our EU3 manager and others within the staff team whom it may concern first.

Also; I'll need to know wether you guys would rather have Cherno winter or another winter map such as Thursk, seeing we've played so much Chernarus already.

Also; I'll need to know wether you guys would rather have Cherno winter or another winter map such as Thursk, seeing we've played so much Chernarus already.

At this point, anything covered in snow will do fine!

Cherno Winter, Thursk, perhaps even A3 Namalsk (is that a thing?)

Thanks for the effort Smiley, appreciate that  :)

Main issues with all snow maps 

Lack off Snow camo for either side units and no we not adding another gear pack 

also the fps on them isnt that great  and they are mostly bad arma2 port's

I don't think that snow camo is all that important - for most of my Arma missions, I'm shooting at little dots or stick figures 400-600mm away.  If the bad guys get close enough that I can see their camo, I'm probably screaming.

My suggestion - we decide on a candidate, people can download it and try a basic mission, and see how it performs?

-R

I'm shooting at little dots or stick figures 400-600mm away.

400 to 600 meters or milimeters ;). I know your a good enough of a player to know your pretty much ineffective at that range, and that we usually do about 300 meters silly :P.

I think we should indeed try before we kill the idea!

We have a few pieces of snow gear in our modpack already - in fact, I wandered around in some of it during a mission briefing the other day on Panthera. The AI could be given a single piece, like a plate carrier or backpack, and fit in, really. Full white snow camo is usually only used in arctic regions; for a snowy forest in a temperate region, you'd most likely have a white smock or parka over your usual gear. 

Most of the snow maps for ARMA 3 are a bit sub-par and that there is no proper snow particle effect. I did find one okish blizzard script and I don't see it being used for more than 1 gamenight and I don't really see the point of a snow map without a snowstorm.