The Future of Toxic's Gamenights

Hi all, 

I've hosted a few gamenights now and would like to ask/say a few things. First off thank you all for participating and making these events/ahoyworld great! Without you guys turning up none of this would have been possible, so cheers. 

I know I don't make custom missions or pvp missions for game night due to several reasons, mainly I lack the skills to, however as you know I like to put a twist on Gauntlett. So do you guys want me to continuing doing these events when there's no organised events? Is there even a need to create a sign up page for this?

Also what are your thoughts on lock severs? re-spawns? first person vs third person? arsenal?

Personally i'm happy to keep hosting these events if there is the demand!

However I would like to bring up the more serious issue of Sign Ups. I believe that it's a common know rule by now that if you sign up you should be there! If you sign up and can't attend you should notify the host either in the thread or by private message so they can adjust the role sheet. Most notable if 23 people sign up and then only 10-15 show at the standing time, it lets down the others who have turned up to have fun/ serious gameplay, due to the player count being too low for combined arms. Therefore I'm wondering if there should be a slight punishment for signing up and then not turning up without some sort of notification to the host?

Cheers all, i'm looking forward to the feedback!

So do you guys want me to continuing doing these events when there's no organised events?

Yea sure!

Is there even a need to create a sign up page for this?

I'd say so, just so it's not a free for all when people are allowed to join.

Also what are your thoughts on lock severs?

I say allow JIP.

re-spawns?

Yea but in waves.

first person vs third person?

I prefer first but I know there's a lot that like being in third and people can always just not use third if they don't want to.

I'd say leave third person on.

arsenal?

Have it on for some gamenights and off for others.

As for punishments I'm up for that but as PiranhA just said:

I do not believe in punishing for something bad, i believe in motivating to do the right thing.

I'm up for motivating people to do the right thing but until someone finds a way to motivate people to do the right thing I'm up for punishments.

My thoughts:

lock severs? -

No need, I quite like having people JIP, the more the merrier and with the respawn system we seem to use, it works out fine.

re-spawns? -

The whole respawn in waves idea is great as it is, no need to change.

first person vs third person? -

Personally I vote for first person, I like staying immersive, it tests my vehicle and pilot abilities and keeps me up to date on my tactics and maneuvers and really, Arma is a simulator and I like playing it as such.

arsenal? - 

I would be all for Arsenal, sadly you cant really tell people what they should be using and stuff because they seem to ignore it but tbh, my loadouts that I make are 10x more realistic then the standard ones we have so I prefer having it.

Yeah, people need to let you know if they can not make it other wise it causes confusions and leads to people waiting for nothing. Unless something extremely urgent serious like happened, you shouldn't have to let them know in advance, and the whole extreme urgent serious shiz is pretty rare.

Overall - 

Overall, you are great at hosting these Gauntlet gamenights and I have fun whatever the turn out, so carry on doing what yo be doing... yo?...

Looks like Minipily is echoing me about 100%, so I'll keep it short.

Only thing I've seen that I felt could be better, is ensuring that speciality roles are filled with people who are up to task.

I quite like it when there's competent pilots around, as that means a rare opportunity for me to do something other than flying, but sadly I have seen a few pilots sign up for a 1st Person only session who, in my ever so humble opinion, might need some more practice flying without the landing assistance of the 3rd person camera.

Other than that, it looks to me like people are taking it seriously, so that's good. It's nice to get some quiet in the helicopter on landing once in a while :P

You should definitely keep making Gamenights, they are awesome!

JIP: Is also good for when a lot of people already left who signup during the event.

Respawn: About the respawns i would keep them in waves.

3rd Person: Sometimes it is extremely hard for pilots to land without 3rd person.

Arsenal: I would keep it, but restrict the choices of the players like everyone is using the same camo or the same ammo type.

Changed title to the future of Toxic's Gamenights

Sorry about that 

With the issue of 1st person piloting, maybe this has something to do with no co-pilots? or Gunners to guide down the pilot. This could solve the issue to spacial awareness. 

From the looks of it, i'll keep on doing them, however I would still appreciate feedback from others! I'll probably change about a couple of things just to keep it fresh however. Also I would like to ask one more thing, whether they should be a minimum sign up count, for the gamenight to go ahead?

I'll echo Amentes and Norman Shaw - er, Minipily. ;)

My question would be, is this a game night if it's essentially just a structured Gauntlet mission?

I have no problem with calling it a game night, but I think perhaps one of the reasons there was a dropout rate (a part from Fallout 4 syndrome) is that because it wasn't a "new" mission, or a new situation, many people see it as Gauntlet and were more easily able to drop out.

I'm no expert, but I'd be happy to help you create a custom mission if you're interested.

-R

Co- pilots and gunners would help the 3rd person situation, but i dont think that people will sign up for a co-pilot slot.

I think that on PvE Gamenight there should be 3rd person viev (you dont have to play in 3rd person) but in the futere maybe we will see some PvP Gamenights, there the rulesett should be ONLY 1st person to prevent "wall cheating"

Co- pilots and gunners would help the 3rd person situation, but i dont think that people will sign up for a co-pilot slot.

In my experience flying birds other than the MH-6, a Copilot is much less useful on landing than having someone looking out the side of the helicopter from the passenger section.

The pilot seats aren't actually that great for looking at what's near your anti-torque, but the Gunner seats have 180 degrees of vision on each side of the aircraft.

For this reason, I have on many occasions, whether I was in charge or not, ensured that people understood the need to STFU on approach and landing, giving the gunners and pilot room to communicate.

Generally, I think people have understood and accepted the need for this. I have yet to be talked back to :P

In my experience flying birds other than the MH-6, a Copilot is much less useful on landing than having someone looking out the side of the helicopter from the passenger section.

The pilot seats aren't actually that great for looking at what's near your anti-torque, but the Gunner seats have 180 degrees of vision on each side of the aircraft.

For this reason, I have on many occasions, whether I was in charge or not, ensured that people understood the need to STFU on approach and landing, giving the gunners and pilot room to communicate.

Generally, I think people have understood and accepted the need for this. I have yet to be talked back to :P

Great Post!

Hi Toxic 

About having Third person i think that it is not needed that much as it makes it a lot more challenging and for me a lot more fun as all you need when Driving or fly is a good idea about the size of your car or chopper to land a chopper or drive a car and a lot of the cars in Eu3 have Working mirrors it an extent so third person should be off in gamenights as it makes it more fun by challenging your self and i'm going to say this i almost all ways use third person when play as it is easier but not always as fun.

Sorry for maybe being a bit late but hope it will be fine  ;)

I recently started playing on Ahoyworld again after having a very long pause from Arma 3. (happy to be back of course) Since this i really hate the fact that people don't show up.  :angry:  Like come on guys. I don't want to be rude and offensive to anyone. But like giving out a message a day or two before the gamenight that you cannot attend will always be appreciated by the host. 

For you Toxic, I have to say that these gamenights are normally great. I would love to play a custom made and a bit more "special" mission would be fantastic. I understand that you mostly host these gauntlet missions when noone else have signed up for doing it with a custom missions of theirs.

I think we should honestly thank the people who try to make this community grow. Thanks to everyone for hosting these gamenights by your own free willing.  :wub:

I hereby would like to document my persisting demand. I liked the events from TheToxicPixels especially for their more organized approach to the casual style of playing Gauntlet on EU#3. My preferred settings are JIP, wave respawn, first person, available arsenal and a ZEUS enabled player online for making the blood curl. I'm fine with Gauntlet on any of the maps and I don't need the signup.

So if TheToxicPixels feels like making a TheToxicPixels' Gamenight like the last ones anytime in the future, I'm the first one to signup and, if the universe complies, I will appear.

My idea for a possible addition to the catalog of punishments, additionally to having the shame of not appearing though having signed up, without cancelling in an appropriate and timely way, is the following: be the autorifle guy and only have M200 ammo belts with the blank firing attachement for the next gamenight.

Well @TheToxicPixels:

For me, even not special mission, You keep the organization of normal mission flowing. That's the most important to me. I mean other missions are interesting, but the best fun for me were with yours normal EU#3 mission. Show up, take weapon and listen your orders on radio. That's all about for me right now. I don't need some special ops, combo-wombo-combo missions. I'm here to have fun. I salute all other hard working guys to make something different. For example : TheBlackCity gamenight mission was really something for me. It was a normal Chernarus map but with Zeus control. It gave us a different approach. Like I've said yeah they are interesting, but your plain shut up,take gun and go on that marker is very fun and enjoyable to me.

-Regarding people not showing up? =PENTALTY. We need to monetize somehow. Take their Ahoy coinz... :D

-If there is low interest, just cancel, players will like next-week Gamenight even more.

-@Soziopath for ZEUS! HURAAAYYY!

-Regarding 1st/3rd person = really? We are still discussing this on EU#3? I'll see myself out. *presses "return" for new row.

If anything was written wrong and if you can't understand, bare with me. I've just driven 2hrs straight. First thing when arrived: Ahoy Forums. My brain is somewhere, maybe near PC.

@TheToxicPixels

Just wrote a 2 sided reply but since using mobile it decided to all just vanish so im keeping it short and powerful:

Arsenal: Alright, I get it, I'm that guy who always wants to have it "serious", especially in game nights. But comon folks, its game night! You don't want 30 minutes of ;"ooh, that looks fa.. Ooh but that's nice too!" standard Loadouts or heavily filtered arsenals that are made to support the kind of mission you are hosting are the sh*t since people who respawn can immediately rejoin witj the new wave, and people who jip will play their selected role.

First/third? When I hosted my gamenight couple weeks ago I fell under peer pressure because of folks saying "I'm quiting if theres no 3rd". What I should have done is make sure that was set in stone in the forum post, therefore giving people the chance to either sign up and attend or simply don't attend.

Lock the server? Yes, first hour at least. Give the briefing and first insertion some time, and met individual teams build... Something of a strategy.

Last, but not least I recommend you to learn Zeus. Apart from your full focus and not being able to play yourself on the ground, it will greatly improve all game nights with a big a*s flavor of random.

You need so little apart from a standard stripped "gauntlett-like" mission to make it zeus ready. It takes so less time to create that you could even take suggestions at the start of the op. If you like, i can send you some of my Zeus perspective videos on yt via a pm.

Oh and if you want help just hit me up brah ;) i might be the guy to help you out.

(that wasn't very short, no potato either sorry!)

Not sure if I ever indicated my preferences.  So here goes!

- 1st / 3rd person: for PvE, I see no reason to restrict it to 1st person; for PvP, it should definitely be 1st person only.

- Arsenal: for regular Gauntlet, I would allow unrestricted arsenal: for game nights, I would restrict it to a limited VA, if not just ammo boxes and vanilla kits.

- Lock the server: if there is respawning, I would not lock the server.

-R