Is it possible to use the UAV?  Seems to me it would give a significant advantage in spotting those enemies that can see you between forty layers of tree cover.

Would search the forums for a possible previously-asked question but UAV is three letters and search requires four.

-R

I think so. I cant remember anything in the rules about it and they did add some custom UAVs once. Don't know if they are still there, they were a bit buggy. I guess not every single scrub should have one. Rather designate one or maybe a couple to fly some and be the eyes in the sky for the rest of the squad. 

But I ain't a staff member so don't take my answer for golden! 

Cya on the field,

Stuart

Ask Grenadiers to use HuntIR 203 grenades and use a HuntIR monitor.

What it does, it shoots a camera in the sky on a parachute that slowly decends. You control the camera with the monitor. Really useful and easy to use.

Thanks, Pero.  I've enjoyed figuring out how to use the HuntIR grenades and they are quite useful.

Doesn't quite address the question, though, as to whether the UAV is legit on EU3.  I saw someone using one today, and it's clear that only happened because they had gotten the UAV terminal from the Arsenal one day when it wasn't blacklisted, and now it's saved in a kit.

-R

I saw someone using one today, and it's clear that only happened because they had gotten the UAV terminal from the Arsenal one day when it wasn't blacklisted, and now it's saved in a kit.

I think that answers your question then.

The reason some UAV's are likely blacklisted is that there is a Arsenal bug. When one of those UAV's is active, a zooming sound can be heard everytime you enter the arsenal screen. It's is especialy bad with the raven (backpack UAV) but can also be faintly heard on the darters and such.

However the use of huntIR or Darters as far as i know is not forbidden, so long it isnt 5 out of 6 squad members having them around and using them.

I'll have a look today; someone else was successfully using the Darter, I believe.  I think perhaps the terminal came with the bag they took?  I was under the impression you needed to take a UAV terminal separately and that is not showing up in the arsenal.

-R

I'll have a look today; someone else was successfully using the Darter, I believe.  I think perhaps the terminal came with the bag they took?  I was under the impression you needed to take a UAV terminal separately and that is not showing up in the arsenal.

-R

I doubt that the terminal came with the UAV bag. It usually doesn't if it's the regular ARMA Darter you're talking about

You're right, Smiley - but you have to save your kit from the Virtual Arsenal and then load it in EU3, which I don't think is a server rule, but if it's overly abused, probably could be...

Just a note on this.  I used the UAV today on an op in Fallujah and it was a great asset for spotting and marking enemies.  Except that I think the way that the Gauntlet missions are played, the AI spawns and despawns relative to the location of the players, so while I spotted tons of enemies from base, by the time we approached, they had all disappeared and started showing up along our path of travel.  So the UAV might be useful in the middle of a firefight, but for planning purposes, probably not so much.

-R