Discussion about Thermals, pilots and other stuff.

So I think it has come to the time for us all to discuss these topics.

Lets start with pilots:

I think we need to have stricter enforcements on who can fly. 

Either by means of moderators enforcing whos flying stricter. Maybe a whitelist. Something along these lines.

Too many times someone who isn't amazing at flying is flying (DO NOT NAME PEOPLE) or they just make stupid mistakes which causes amounts of frustration to the ground units.

Thermal scopes: 

These should all be removed. Absolutely no need for them, plenty of scopes that work with NVGS and such like. People just abuse Thermals and should leave them in EU1. Thats all i've got on thermals matter.

General Rule: 

Some sort of general rule very similar to Rule 8. Which covers all units. Tanks and air. Limiting them to going free for all.

I suggest this after seeing a tank rolling around not asking anyone if it should engage going all free for all.

DISCUSS!

I don't necessarily agree on the pilot remark. I'm not a great pilot, but I'm not terrible either. I would find it a terrible shame if I were to be expelled from taking that slot if I wouldn't qualify to some of the standards. I guess you should let people be pilots depending on how crowded the server is. Give a more competent pilot a slot when there's a big crowd.

I don't necessarily agree on the pilot remark. I'm not a great pilot, but I'm not terrible either. I would find it a terrible shame if I were to be expelled from taking that slot if I wouldn't qualify to some of the standards. I guess you should let people be pilots depending on how crowded the server is. Give a more competent pilot a slot when there's a big crowd.

I agree with that yes. But this is also EU#3 we're talking about here too.

I think the pilot thing could be handled with a strike system maybe? Any mistake which could have been avoided/general idiot action, or ignoring command could end up in a strike. 3 Strikes and ban from the vortex/talon slots for a week. Then have the number of strikes reset weekly. Or with a day logged on the ahoy world severs. Which ever is easiest. 

Thermal scopes gone completely. 

Armor should be used as fire support much like talon, so command is fully in charge, however convoys, with armored units should be utilized more, not just vortex, vortex, vortex. It feels like armor is frowned upon, yet is necessary in combine arms. 

Last note, it feels a lot of the mission units start, they are unprepared for and don't have the proper fire support, whether launches or CAS. A jet would be nice, when there is a single Talon pilot on. 

Otherwise things are great! EU3 has been great since coming back.

• - All pilots gets three weekly strikes, fuck up three times in a week and you're on the edge, fuck up four times and an admin/moderator gets to enforce reasonable punishment. Whitelist would be too much, but blacklist for a specific/permanent amount on time would be cool with me. It's even said on EU1; if you can't fly, please learn in single player.

• Never use them, remove them or not; fine with me either way.

• This is something I've thought about too. I see tanks / CAS "running" in on their own and completing the objective or not requesting to be designated a fire mission / target. Not even asking for permission to engage targets.

- I'd say the three strike rule I suggested above would be fitting for the pilot side of this too.

- Depending on what Torch/Hammer does wrong (ex. Solo'ing Objective or killing a GAZ is a big diffrence) I'd say rule enforcers get some freedom from warning, spawning an enemy tank platoon on their head or arty'ing / smite'ing them.

In my opinion if you aren't part of the plan CMD has made and you basically join the objecte in progress as Torch/Hammer/Talon you should not participate, unless you manage to discuss adjustments/the plan in person (direct speech) or command tells you to.

Lately I`ve seen pilots hoping in the choppers and start flying on their own, either just to pick the chopper for the helipads and bring it to the spawn area or a minor fly-around. Before they choose any aircraft/helicopter, they should consult the person in charge, select a appropriate transport, select a point for pickup and then rush to the helicopter.

As for thermal scopes, no need to remove them, common sense should prevent people from using them (they make everything really easy). But If I see any "abuse" (5+ people running around with them), prepare for a massive fog weather with rain (good luck aiming through that).

• Pilots: I like the strike system. I also am not a super pilot, but i do like jumping in a Vortex slot if there arn't enought pilots on at that time. Also someone said this earlier, let's keep it lenient at low player base, but when the server has 10+ online, enforce people abandoning the slot for more experienced pilots, especialy if those are AW members/ Core Staff.
  • On the Thermal scopes, i  would say remove them. We realy dont need them, and trusting the people on the server to use their good judgement has currently shown not too work, they still use nightstalkers when the ingame daytime is nearing night. Also we have NVG scopes, which is as good an alternative as anny.
  • As messedupsmilley said above, tanks and other support vehicles should also be put under the strike system. 3 strikes in a week, and no more tanks for you that week. I would have said mandatory training session for that specific subject, but seeing our last attept at a training session ended rather badly (sorry for all of that KennyChr :( ) i doubt that would work.

Thats my 2 cents for this.

pilots : Whitelist based on a small training required to see if said person can make a flight plan that is logic and can fly reasonably (as in doesnt have to be perfect but just to make sure the person knows how to decend, land and get out as safe as their skills allow them to) and to know what are clear distances for holding patern etc. this is what i would like to see but takes a lot of planning to get to the point (see it like getting a license to fly with trainings like once a week or such).

though on a more realistic way at the moment would be the three strikes system but back it up with training sessions maybe so those players can improve their skills under guidance of people who fly better/more to see their mistakes and correct them.

Thermal : just a short remove them

Tanks : yes it would need to communicate with command and take orders/ask permission to move into target. If this permission is denied maybe get the tank to patrol the rear guard of the ground forces making sure that lz and the rear of forces are clear of enemy threat.

Well thats my thought on it :P 

I agree with that yes. But this is also EU#3 we're talking about here too.

And yet these little rules being added constantly are really killing the overall experience. It really feels like if someone makes a stupid silly mistake a new rule is enforced to prevent that from happening again. I'm very open in the way that I'm not afraid to say that I don't fully agree on the way AW is maintained, I myself try to play by the rules simply because I hate getting told off. But every time a new rule is added I get annoyed. Especially when rules are so thoroughly enforced on some of the long time members.

These rules that apply to ONLY EU#3 Because numerous people couldnt behave. I totally agree it is annoying, But as always in life the small handful RUIN everything for the greater mass. We shouldn't have to have most the rules we do. But because of a minority we do. That is AhoyWorlds fault is it? Because if the rules arn't there then more complaints go up.

As always what I say is my opinion and not that of AhoyWorld. However if most the player base of EU3 agree then surely there is an issue in those sectors?

EDIT: Question to you Karate... When did Ahoyworld last add a rule to the list, after the initial rules list was released? I can't find any new ones. Bar the first draft....

Last time anyything was done to the rules was when raz rewrote them to be more structured @30th may. There has veen no additions that i can think of since we sat down and made the rules the firat time when we had players just dicking around like 5 year olds :(

I agree that Vortex should be at least kept an eye upon in some way. I'd definitely appreciate a pilot's test of some type if for no other reason than to be able to 'prove my worth' as such. it would also encourage people to get themselves up to a certain standard of flying before even attempting a flight on EU#3, I know I felt fairly pressurised after seeing the general good standard, I'd like to think I performed however.

thermal scopes remove one of the deepest parts of immersion in ARMA the 'where the f*** is the enemy shooting from?' syndrome, please remove.

Finally, yes yes and YES to better support control, there is nothing quite like an armoured column, not even a flight of Helos. Maybe make certain missions incredibly hard for Helicopters but facilitated by at least a mechanised convoy? Something along the lines of spawn AA nests (Marked) ALL OVER the AO. "The enemy's got wise to standard insertion techniques, send in the cavalry!"

So to summarise my thoughts;

• Implement Pilot's 'licence' (maybe a priority system override, applicable to all servers?) 
  • Remove Thermal scopes 
  • General better control over support./More demanding missions (in terms of methodology) 

The only rule that has been added was the no arresting people and that was added several months ago. Other than that a couple of rules were reworded maybe a time or two to make them clearer/ update them based on what mods were being used. Also I think that the last time that happened was at the same time the no arresting was added. The only other thing that I changed was the play your roles post to update the list with weapons that we use/ got rid of.

EDIT: Question to you Karate... When did Ahoyworld last add a rule to the list, after the initial rules list was released? I can't find any new ones. Bar the first draft....

Perhaps it's not the addition then but they way they are enforced. It seems like every week another topic is being enforced more thoroughly because of events.

I would like to see a rule regarding filling up Alpha squad before any of the others. With the exception of Vortex, which is required for certain missions, you don't need any of the others when you just have one squad.

Hell, two of us cleared almost all of an AO one time. It can be done.

Perhaps it's not the addition then but they way they are enforced. It seems like every week another topic is being enforced more thoroughly because of events.

Im just so lost. But okay.

Anyway I totally agree with people that whitelisting pilot slots isn't the way to go....

Still fully supporting the other two topics though.

I think i know what feeling you get 

Problem is people tend to forget about rule's.

And then break a certain rule wich then get's enforced hard for a while .

Then people remeber the rules and switch to breaking another rule and the cycle continues 

It's just the way moderating goes most off the time 

Can we have the pop-up box that explains the rules, like on EU#1, or has a reminder to check the TS descriptions/these forums when you log into the server? There are some people that play that don't log onto the forums, and don't read the descriptions in TS, especially new people to the server. Several times, recently, people have come in saying that they are new and don't know the rules or how to play properly. Having something in-game might help with that.

It could also have announcements on it, such as when the next game night is or training session starts, etc.

Can we have the pop-up box that explains the rules, like on EU#1, or has a reminder to check the TS descriptions/these forums when you log into the server? There are some people that play that don't log onto the forums, and don't read the descriptions in TS, especially new people to the server. Several times, recently, people have come in saying that they are new and don't know the rules or how to play properly. Having something in-game might help with that.

It could also have announcements on it, such as when the next game night is or training session starts, etc.

Should we place tables with tea and blankets as well, add a couple of chairs to make people comfy and rest after a tiring session?

All rules are written in the Setup Room channel, but people don`t join the server through there, it`s easier to join from the lobby. If you click it to join, you should see all the required info. If people are lazy, no need for the mission maker to do more work and update the mission with the data your are suggesting daily/weekly.

All rules are posted on

TS 

the forum 

And the MAP itself 

if people still cant find them they are ......

Also if new players joined people need to start helping them or point them to some one who will help them 

Lets start with pilots:

I think we need to have stricter enforcements on who can fly. 

Either by means of moderators enforcing whos flying stricter. Maybe a whitelist. Something along these lines.

Too many times someone who isn't amazing at flying is flying (DO NOT NAME PEOPLE) or they just make stupid mistakes which causes amounts of frustration to the ground units.

A blacklist would be easier to manage than a whitelist. It's not like we're swimming in candidates at this time.

Thermal scopes: 

These should all be removed. Absolutely no need for them, plenty of scopes that work with NVGS and such like. People just abuse Thermals and should leave them in EU1. Thats all i've got on thermals matter.

Thermals are really the only thing that keeps HAMMER alive, so I'm not sure about that. And naturally all heat-seeking AT implements will need to be thermal-capable.

But in scope-form? For rifles? And as a replacement for binoculars? Yes, absolutely. 

General Rule: 

Some sort of general rule very similar to Rule 8. Which covers all units. Tanks and air. Limiting them to going free for all.

I suggest this after seeing a tank rolling around not asking anyone if it should engage going all free for all.

Don't we already have this?