Eu#3 Training

Eu#3 Training

Hello everyone and welcome to the weekly AW Eu#3 Training session. Below you will find when it starts, how we would like you to behave during said session.

Session start: 1600 GMT 26. July

This session will contain following training blocks:

(Note these can be expanded upon if users\us deem we have time for it, tho we are aiming to keep the sessions to around 30-45minutes long to not hog up all the playtime on Eu#3)

Block 1:

Static training for formation training,explaining how to effectively transition between them

Block 2:

Move by foot to one of the manoeuvring fields,making the squad leads call different formations while we are moving.

Block 3:

Bounding towards an enemy position in chosen maneuvering field. explain why this is optimal.

Squads take turns doing it one squad at a time. At Least 2/3 runs of this.

Block 4: Company level bounding.

Block 5: Any session related questions (10 minutes).

I would like to ask of you to keep the chatter to a minimum while we explain stuff and ask us questions between sub-task i.e bounding session->question(s)->bounding session as this would make the session less time consuming.

Regards

Pfc. Christiansen

I signed up too, also i am available to help with training new and already experienced players once we get to specialization subjects. I'm a passionate marksman/sniper fan and have some experience in leading small unit and i can perhaps help learn some the basics to interested people.

I vote for Sunday since Saturday is Gamenight and if we have done something wrong or right we can discuss and reflect about our decissions during training when it's still fresh. I haven't been in military, and Arma3 is my first milsim (approx 3 weeks now). I'm playing actively on Ahoy servers where members are willing to help.

Hope that training will answer all my questions by itself. Only problem here is summer and I'd like to hail to the Sun.

Cheers.

jeha sounds fun. I would say I know my way arround ARMA and the EU#3 mods but I bet you there is something I dont know. Like for example WTF is up with the Vector21? I have no idea how to use it XD. I also love to play TL or SL because I love the radio communication and planning. Also I cant shoot for shit, so thats something I need to practise! 

Anyway see you on the training field!

Stuart

I'm in, absolutely.

I'd also recommend you include a briefing on the importance of maintaining squad and fire team integrity, to be aware of ones position and purpose in a team, and play accordingly, as well as the value (and constraints) of initiative.

I would also love to see individuals make more use of the radio. Radio discipline is all well and good, but it seems like many are a little intimidated by it. In the words of Sherlock Holmes: "Data! Data! Data! I can't make bricks without clay". Information is, without a doubt, the most important element in the game, and its flow is absolutely essential to the effectiveness and survivability of a squad.

Ooh, and command-training! Squad-leading is easy enough, but a few minutes to talk about the logistics of filling a CMD slot would be welcome. I'm sure there are plenty who would like to have a firmer grasp on operating multiple radios and frequencies, as well as the roles and limitations of each of the CMD slots.

I suspect that's the reason why we see few people eager to lead from the tippy top.

"Learning by doing" is great and all, but to do that, you first need to know how to "do" in the first place.

First page updated and will post session 1 details here:

Hello everyone and welcome to the weekly AW Eu#3 Training session. Below you will find when it starts, how we would like you to behave during said session.

Session start: 1600 GMT 26. July

This session will contain following training blocks:

(Note these can be expanded upon if users\us deem we have time for it, tho we are aiming to keep the sessions to around 30-45minutes long to not hog up all the playtime on Eu#3)

Block 1:

Static training for formation training,explaining how to effectively transition between them

Block 2:

Move by foot to one of the manoeuvring fields,making the squad leads call different formations while we are moving.

Block 3:

Bounding towards an enemy position in chosen maneuvering field. explain why this is optimal.

Squads take turns doing it one squad at a time. At Least 2/3 runs of this.

Block 4: Company level bounding.

Block 5: Any session related questions (10 minutes).

I would like to ask of you to keep the chatter to a minimum while we explain stuff and ask us questions between sub-task i.e bounding session->question(s)->bounding session as this would make the session less time consuming.

Regards

Pfc. Christiansen

I would recommend swapping block 2 and 4. Formations are the least important, but will require the most time.

Line, wedge, chevron, phalanx, box, whatever; in the ARMA3 engine, it's not possible to maintain a formation beyond 20 meters in diameter anyway, due to the limitations of awareness inherent in the format. And after engagement, people MUST be free to seek own cover and concealment. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the shapes and orientations, it just won't happen. Rather emphasize use of the compass to stay within shouting range of one another. 

Agreed with Eggmuffin. Formations can work but it's a huge hassle to practice. CQB movement seems far more important than running through a field in a line. I see people run out into the street without calling out that they are crossing, or without proper cover. I'd love to see squadleads use formations, but the hassle... Eww... To be honest, the hammering on having to use formations it is really putting me off, you can't blame squadlead for some people being incompetent when it comes to formations. The difference is load-out weight also making running proper formations a huge hassle.

Perhaps you could add a class for proper use of maptools and distance 'guesstimate' for scopes and other tools besides the range finder? Knowing the proper range is quite important for scope zeroing.

I would recommend swapping block 2 and 4. Formations are the least important, but will require the most time.

Line, wedge, chevron, phalanx, box, whatever; in the ARMA3 engine, it's not possible to maintain a formation beyond 20 meters in diameter anyway, due to the limitations of awareness inherent in the format. And after engagement, people MUST be free to seek own cover and concealment. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the shapes and orientations, it just won't happen. Rather emphasize use of the compass to stay within shouting range of one another. 

How is 20m the limit, Shacktac HUD is forced on EU#3 and has a maximum of 50m (1st ring is 15m, 2nd ring 30m, 3rd is 50m) coverage surrounding the player. Now I understand your point about not wanting to drill the formation practice, it can be boring and tedious, but you need to know how they work. If you and all the other people know how they work you can practice them while playing.

And then you are saying you must be free to seek your own cover and concealment, Yes that is the whole point. Your SL is not going to tell you where to sit and look at, That is the why you train, so you can do that. While, of course, covering the correct flank and ensure your squad safety. Because that is one of the main reasons everyone keeps dying, a single EI walks up the rear and shoots 5 people before anyone can react. (or a humvee .50 in a certain case)

Agreed with Eggmuffin. Formations can work but it's a huge hassle to practice. CQB movement seems far more important than running through a field in a line. I see people run out into the street without calling out that they are crossing, or without proper cover. I'd love to see squadleads use formations, but the hassle... Eww... To be honest, the hammering on having to use formations it is really putting me off, you can't blame squadlead for some people being incompetent when it comes to formations. The difference is load-out weight also making running proper formations a huge hassle.

Perhaps you could add a class for proper use of maptools and distance 'guesstimate' for scopes and other tools besides the range finder? Knowing the proper range is quite important for scope zeroing.

You do understand that CQB movement is almost solely based on bounding movements. You covering a corner and someone passes you to move up while you cover. Those movements are bounding movements. And if you are stacked up against a wall ready to breach a compound, who will cover what direction at that point while waiting to breach. Another point that would be discussed while training formation movements.

So what you are saying is that you guys want to skip all basics and just focus on certain things. Well that fine, training is not mandatory, so you can stay away during those sessions. But it may result in you guys not know what to do when shit goes down while the rest does. And if that would happen if will feel pretty shit, or maybe even get the squad killed.(which feels even more shit, and you will be to blame not the SL)

About the maptools and distance guesstimate, there are plenty of video tutorials and text tutorials on that, and it really is not something you need to practice with a group. The use of maptools you can even practice IRL, its a skill that will come in handy one day. 

And personally, if you are using a AR type rifle, you don't need a rangefinder or adjustable sight. A Holo sight or RCO sight will do. The weapon effective range is about 300-400m, and you don't have to see the pimples on the enemies face.

If you want a quick distance check, look for reference point around your enemy, and then try to find them on the map. Every square box on the map is 100m. So make a rough guess about how far it is using that technique. you will usually be within about 30-40m accurate on a quick estimate, which is good enough since you rifles effective range is about 400m and the bullets don't drop that much. The more you use this technique and the more time you take for it, the more accurate you will be. 

Edit: Links and Grammar 

Personally I won't be needing the movement training. They come fairly natural to me. I understand formations and I understand how to breach and clear, give cover and push over roads.

I said scope but I mean optics in general. Running around with a range finder each is pretty silly and scopes on any of your AR variant that are not a DMR are OP. Proper guesstimating techniques merely on visual aspects are far more important. Oh how I hate being given a wrong distance estimate, it's such a shame to waste so much ammo because the target wasn't called out properly.