How to add to the pbo?

Hi guys,

Let me preface this with this: if this in the wrong area, please move the thread, I did a search and couldnt see anywhere special to put it / another question quite like it.

Now, what I am aiming to do, is reskin a few vehicles (Mohawk / Hellcat) to name a few and some more.. advanced modding I guess you would call it (Xeno Pod Mod)

Now, glancing over the issue of me needing to get approval from the mod devs for now (no point asking if I cant make this work IMO), is there any way I can make any of this server side only, or am I just crazy?

Cheers

Doogie

If you want custom textures for vehicles, you can either place them in the mission folder or make a mod for them. Mod requires people to manually download the mod, and if you put them in the mission they will be downloaded when someone downloads the mission for the first time.

Either way, one texture will be around 2MB big, and big helicopters like the mohawk require 2 or 3 textures for the entire helicopter. So if you want to reskin the mohawk you will be adding about 4/6MB to the mission file.

there is no way to make it serverside only, because the clients need the texture. so adding them to the mission is the best anwser.

there is no way to make it serverside only, because the clients need the texture. 

Sorry, its 3am in Australia and my brain is NOT firing on all cylinders. This is what I meant by serverside, rolling it into the mission.

Have you any idea on how to go around that?

I am just going to assume that xeno is too complex to be just thrown into the pbo, as much as I want to see people be dropped in via pods :P

Edit: a word

The easiest way is to just place the textures in the mission folder and call them through the vehicle init with the line

this setObjectTextureGlobal [0, "vehicleTexture1.paa"];

Where the "0" indicates the area on the vehicle the texture will cover. so it can be 0,1,2, or higher.

Sorry for the late reply sheep, thanks for the help in this matter :) I ended up just scraping the idea, was going to be more effort then it was worth.

I dont suppose you know where I would find the text relating to the hint pop up (where the mission objectives pop up) and how to change the text on the map screen (like the sub area for mods / FAQ / TS3)?

I dont suppose you know where I would find the text relating to the hint pop up (where the mission objectives pop up) 

I don't

how to change the text on the map screen (like the sub area for mods / FAQ / TS3)?

Its the diary.sqf, its in "scripts\misc\diary.sqf"