Changing the helis

Zafirh

Question

Hi,

as a heli pilot, I though it would be cool to delete the Orca and put another Ghosthawk or Littlebird.

Here's why :

Even if the Orca is lighter than ghosthawk, the fact that it has no flare is a biiig lack. Because if pilots want a very mobile heli they'll take the hummingbird and if they want to transport troups they'll take ghosthawk or mohawk. With one ghosthawk and one mohawk we really don't need a dangerous to fly heli, that's why I though deleting the orca and ading a littlebird ( or another ghosthawk, but 2 littlebirds could be cool because sometimes there are guys that are alone and ghost and mohawk pilot don't want to waste time to pick up 1 guy ).

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english

2 littlebirds might be quite cool actually, i quite often get a squad of 6-10 and would be quite cool to mount in 2 birds and do some more tactical dual insertions, would mean that the other 2 helis are still able to carry 20+ troops still and once the birds have done their insertion it takes them no time to get back to ferrying guys about. Id support a test run of this to see if theres any major outcry from the community.

Nice idea.

I'll try find out who's working on the next version and see if we can get it in for you guys just for a trial run! Also if you're into good squad gameplay is recommend trying out modded! We do some good fun squad gameplay with the extra immersion!

i've only been playing a few weeks on and off (on your servers), but i'd be in agreement on the 2 littlebirds plan. Flares or not, doesnt matter. I'd go as far as to say remove the ghosthawks and include 2 transport littlebirds and 1 combat one with a working co-pilots seat.

Reasoning as follows

1, Mobility, quick deployment and redeployment of squads.

2, no dicking about with mounted guns at base

3, no fat slow silly mohawks that only have 4 soldiers in 'em

4, pilots must be skilled (sort off anyway), no flares means hugging the mountains and keeping low and out of AAA range/view

5, 4 active choppers is 1 too many. Look at the unit distribution around the map, and you'll see there is nearly always 1 helo just knobbin' about at base.

Gav

+1 for additional little birds

it lends itself much better for noe type flying which is more fun than driving a school bus, aka mohawk or similar. plus, given the great view out front it makes for safer landings which the troopers appreciate :-)

cheers

Two hummingbirds? Noooooooooooooooo

If i had my way there would be no hummingbird in the mission that thing does something to pilots. They get behind the controls and all of a sudden they think they're the greatest pilots in arma history. Spoiler alert: they're not! Usually you'll see them crashing every few minutes and begin to call it 'my hummingbird'.

Best thing we could do is get rid of them entirely! But that won't happen. Instead we'll have idiots flying between powerlines blaming fps for their lack of skill. 

I dont know if you are specifically talking about me. But I'll just sum up some counterarguments anyways against your half-personal / half-anti-topic offensive.

- Today I've been online for about 7 hours from 14:50 till 23:00 (GMT+1) and when I checked my statistics about and hour ago I had only died 10 times.

##Now 7 hours wasn't the time I was actively flying so I'll compensate that to let's say five. Then it still means I only died once every half hour.

In half an hour you can have a lot of oppertunities to crash OR GET AA'd ( I am aware that exposing yourself to AA is your own fault, but sometimes high risk - high reward, pays off very well and I'm willing to take a chance).

AA is almost always a certain death for me because I just C4 myself and the chopper so I can get back to transporting more quickly. I've seen people flying mohawks etc. crash a lot more.

- "My hummingbird" I used to say that a lot when I was trying to understand how she worked and spend whole sundays just failing at getting her to work they way I wanted. Failing is a great way to learn, I have to admit this might've caused me to get a reckless reputation, but in my opinion, in the end it was all worth. Especially if you've been using it for so long feels like walking on heels.

-This will also be less of a problem with multiple MH9s, because you can just take one and most of the time there will be plenty.

-It's still a video game ment to bring people happiness rather than stress etc. Flying the Hummingbird usually gives me a good mood especially if you get some compliments like "Nice flying" or "Awesome, I should've brought my fishing rod". When I'm not in a good mood I put on some rock or house and start taking risks which get my adrenaline going. I have some pretty deep shit when it comes to this. My parents have just divorced around a month ago and stuff likes that gets me through a bad day. Please don't remove it.

I hope this was enough to prove my point.

With regards,

MessedUpSmiley

I dont know if you are specifically talking about me. But I'll just sum up some counterarguments anyways against your half-personal / half-anti-topic offensive.

If you had taken the time to read my post you would have seen I used the plural, not sure if it's your reticence to listen or believe me but it's not all about you, off hand I can think of several people who fit the description.

- "My hummingbird" I used to say that a lot when I was trying to understand how she worked and spend whole sundays just failing at getting her to work they way I wanted. Failing is a great way to learn, I have to admit this might've caused me to get a reckless reputation, but in my opinion, in the end it was all worth. Especially if you've been using it for so long feels like walking on heels.

You and others have said it quite often recently.

-This will also be less of a problem with multiple MH9s, because you can just take one and most of the time there will be plenty.

There's a very quick respawn time on choppers, a paucity of helis has never been an issue.

-It's still a video game ment to bring people happiness rather than stress etc. Flying the Hummingbird usually gives me a good mood especially if you get some compliments like "Nice flying" or "Awesome, I should've brought my fishing rod". When I'm not in a good mood I put on some rock or house and start taking risks which get my adrenaline going. I have some pretty deep shit when it comes to this. My parents have just divorced around a month ago and stuff likes that gets me through a bad day. Please don't remove it.

Again if you had taken the time to read my post you would have seen that we are not getting rid of the hummingbird.

Sorry about not being able to quote and do other fancy stuff with the post.

I said (l. 1) that I wasn't sure of you were specifically talking about me, you tell me you weren't but that still doesn't take away half the argument as they would suit more players who've ac

(Pressed reply button on misstake, will fix this afternoon when I get to a PC, damn touchscreens)

..actively played and have taken their time to register om the forums. I've seen players stash the Hummingbird on an island and wait for a pilot to DC there or people sitting lobby for 20 min. and then afk'ing next to the Hummingbird spawn. And thrn still being there when I get shot down on my 3rd run to AO sincw they've been on. Putting on a backpack which makes getting into the chopper before the afk'er does even harder as you open that backpack quite a lot and when you still manage to take it whist they shout in direct or squad channel that they've been waiting longest, they will lift off the orca an do what half the servers pilots do with it. Crash it into something (broken) in base. This time the "something" not being broken, but the person that got the MH9's loaded chopper.

With the "you can just take one" you can fix this problem. Because some people dont even want to fly the Ghost or AA

About the getting rid of the hummingbird, I just thought you had some strong arguments so people might look towards getting rid of them.

I'm okay with one hummingbird, but I think two would be better, why not at least trail it and see how it goes?

..actively played and have taken their time to register om the forums. I've seen players stash the Hummingbird on an island and wait for a pilot to DC there or people sitting lobby for 20 min. and then afk'ing next to the Hummingbird spawn. And thrn still being there when I get shot down on my 3rd run to AO sincw they've been on. Putting on a backpack which makes getting into the chopper before the afk'er does even harder as you open that backpack quite a lot and when you still manage to take it whist they shout in direct or squad channel that they've been waiting longest, they will lift off the orca an do what half the servers pilots do with it. Crash it into something (broken) in base. This time the "something" not being broken, but the person that got the MH9's loaded chopper.

With the "you can just take one" you can fix this problem. Because some people dont even want to fly the Ghost or AA

Who have you seen do these things? These are all against the following rules; excessive lobby idling, pilots not flying, ramming and destruction of helis. Those kinds of players are not what we want on our servers and placating them is beside the point.

Who have you seen do these things? These are all against the following rules; excessive lobby idling, pilots not flying, ramming and destruction of helis. Those kinds of players are not what we want on our servers and placating them is beside the point.

Well the first reason was the reason why Tomahawk got banned and the second offender was punished yesterday by either you or danne.

I don't see a lot of merits of changing the helicopter other than satisfying a few people or being able to do duo insertions etc.

I don't see a lot of downsides either so I can't see why it cannot be added, I could also say stuff about change is good and the defenition of insanity :P.
I just want to see 2 Hummingbirds and what you can do with them, because if there aren't that many downsides (in my opinion) why wouldn't you add them for just the small amount of people. "Every small bit (of satisfaction :)) helps."

To be honest there are a handful of helicopters in this game, which all fly differently. People also get used to a certain type of helicopter. I myself like the light-medium range. And we should always offer that range of helicopters. It's eu#1 after all! Change is always good, it's nice to rota the helicopters at base every now and then for a bit of difference. :)

without an increase in the number of pilot slots i don't see why more choppers would be a problem. i often play early with not so many people online, so the large helos are not needed much (apart from an occasional vehicle transport). those times when i'm online later i would find it useful to have more smaller helos for troop transport. also, wait times for pilots in a queue are shorter.

additional small choppers allow for lower and deeper insertions, something less easy or even possible to do with the medium/large helos. so there's extra variety in the type of flying.

again, i'd vote for an extra mh9 or two, due to the unrestricted cockpit view, which makes low flying and landing in confined spots much safer. a huge benefit, imho.

as for satisfaction: surely it's mainly a few individual pilots who enjoy it, on the other hand a lot of troopers want to be flown on close. i believe that everyone benefits from that.

anyhow, it's all good. i have a good time on your server as is. cheers :-)

-It's still a video game ment to bring people happiness rather than stress etc. Flying the Hummingbird usually gives me a good mood ... When I'm not in a good mood I put on some rock or house and start taking risks which get my adrenaline going ... stuff likes that gets me through a bad day.

This sort of thing just wastes people's time. Might give you a good mood, but how about the mood of the infantry waiting 30 minutes (3 crashes) to get to an AO?

2 crashes in a row is sufficient to have many victims to simply leave the server and find another which doesn't have pilots who are looking for an adrenalin fix ;)

If you have to wait 30 minutes with only 3 crashes you must be playing dress-up. Take a vehicle and drive there by yourself if you aren't happy with the service the pilots provide, everyone makes errors, but pilots who have more responsibility than the ordinairy soldier has a much bigger burden and their errors can inflict way more damage.

(In my opinion this is why admins should babysit pilots more, co-op and teamwork are key in this game and every team member has a goal.

For example; pilots rely on ground forces to kill the radiotower as soon as possible so they will have less of a threat from CAS. But also infantry wants to be transported.

Also if people could stop being dicks in and around the chopper, not play music, quit the side cmd and global VON shit and fucking tell me where (EXACTLY) they wanna go and maybe say two very simple words afterwards;"Thank you.".

However, as I haven't seen you much in-game and I assume it's because of timezones I cannot accuse.. nor exempt you for not following these easy 'steps'.

Also if you ever encounter a problem with a pilot (Know from experienced). Wether he is inexperienced or just a total d*ckweed, try and hop on Ts3 to find an admin that is willing to help you settle the situation, there your voice is probably mu h louder heard than here.

Have a good flight ;),

MuS

If you have to wait 30 minutes with only 3 crashes you must be playing dress-up. Take a vehicle and drive there by yourself if you aren't happy with the service the pilots provide, everyone makes errors, but pilots who have more responsibility than the ordinairy soldier has a much bigger burden and their errors can inflict way more damage.

(In my opinion this is why admins should babysit pilots more, co-op and teamwork are key in this game and every team member has a goal.

For example; pilots rely on ground forces to kill the radiotower as soon as possible so they will have less of a threat from CAS. But also infantry wants to be transported.

Also if people could stop being dicks in and around the chopper, not play music, quit the side cmd and global VON shit and fucking tell me where (EXACTLY) they wanna go and maybe say two very simple words afterwards;"Thank you.".

However, as I haven't seen you much in-game and I assume it's because of timezones I cannot accuse.. nor exempt you for not following these easy 'steps'.

Also if you ever encounter a problem with a pilot (Know from experienced). Wether he is inexperienced or just a total d*ckweed, try and hop on Ts3 to find an admin that is willing to help you settle the situation, there your voice is probably mu h louder heard than here.

Have a good flight ;),

MuS

cheers :)

I am neither seen nor heard in-game these days, but do try to keep an eye on the experience people are having. A lot of effort was put into maximizing the time-on-the-ground experience of infantry in I&A, and piloting has (and likely always will be) one of those roles where the server owners and staff have to trust the players to act in the interest of others ahead of themselves. Have seen it before where bad / unmanaged piloting can kill servers and budding communities. 

In this hypothetical situation, telling me to hop into a car and drive because a pilot has crashed into power poles 3x in a row ... Sure I can drive there, but I can also press 'Esc' and find another server. So, while as a pilot your concern is that they can choose to drive, a server admins concern is that they can also choose to leave.

If you have any other suggestions or ideas re piloting and aircraft in A3 MP COOP, feel free to rattle them off, they do get heard, if not promptly addressed.