Proper Racing Etiquette

razgriz33

As it has been written on our club page:

RACERS ARE WELCOME HOWEVER WE REQUEST THAT YOU DRIVE CLEAN! OTHERWISE YOU WILL BE REMOVED.

We are all friends here, we do not obstruct each other on track, we do not aggressively attack on track... WE'RE IN THE SAME TEAM, there should be no "it's all about me" attitude, I've recently witnessed and a lot of the time been on the receiving end of some mighty collisions. In fact tonight was the last straw.

1. Just because you say "I'm on the left" doesn't mean you're definitely coming through on the left and he will pull over, the only time this would be the case is if the car in front was blue flagged!

2. You want to keep your lead/ you want to get ahead of course you do, but you do not attack other cars, it's disgraceful and disgusting just like teamkilling on ARMA for example, because that is EXACTLY what you are doing. killing off members of your own team, your own friends...

I would pick a partner every session and go out away from the rest of the whorde in PAIRS ONLY to races, you cover more ground and you get to know the other fella better that way. I'm not saying you have to do this, but it's better that way for sure.

I think we should all wipe the slate clean and make a serious commitment to racing properly from now on.  This game as the potential to be fantastic but if we end up pissing each other off its only going to end in tears.

We also need to identify who is at fault in collisions, I have been blamed several times when someone has run too deep into a corner and I've turned in with a line of optimum exit speed.

My record is admittedly colourful but I've never hit someone on purpose.

I agree with dave on this. I've got a reputation that means that if there's any coming together I'm immediately at fault whether or not it actually my fault. so much so that i've more or less stopped racing with other ahoyworld members otherwise i need to hang back on the line so that i don't get into any sort of tangle. 

Also it seems to be a case of not what actually happens but who immediately shouts the loudest saying they've been wronged.

A prime example of a collision was (and I don't mean to spark anything by this, I'm just using this as an example) is when we started at Yas Marina, I was in pole and sprinted towards the first corner, I turned in as I would normally and collided with christiansen, Hoax said that I rammed into him. A few hours later we started at the same track, this time Hoax on pole, me in second. We sprinted towards the line as before, I slipstreamed and tried to go down the inside, Hoax turned in and collided with me, I got the blame here too.

It was exactly the same situation as when I collided with christiansen but the other party got the blame, why? Like I said earlier, I don't want to spark anything by it but I think it's worth pointing out that blame does not always reside with one person only. In these cases, the ones running up the inside run the risk of getting a slap and IMO if it does happen, they shouldn't blame the driver who was just taking the corner as normal just because it didn't work out.

It's also worth mentioning that right after getting into the game for the first time, me and danny got into a battle in the last lap of a race, we'd both be alternating 1st & 2nd on each different stretch, it all depended on how we took the corners, not once did we collide hard (by that I mean, if we did it was just a brush). This format lasted the entire last lap until I won the race by 0.001 neck and neck on the entire straight down to the finish line. That race was awesome because we treated each other with respect, didn't block each other and overall, drove properly.

From the release of the game I've been doing my best to race cleanly, not only because I enjoy it more that way but because Codemasters went to the effort of trying to make the game more about the racing, it seems only sensible then that we should try and match that effort with an equal effort of trying to race as realistically as possible. Yes in real racing there are crashes but typically they are not intentional (forgetting Maldonado for a second) so it is expected some will happen in a game.

Also, I don't think it is worth people getting annoyed if they are taken out by other AhoyWorld members, rage all you want at other randoms but it would suck for the game that we all seem to enjoy most of the time to put some kind of rift between individuals. I think its fair to say that there are varying skill levels in our group so there is going to be accidents but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy the game as a community.

Have to agree with that last section Dave, that last lap was awesome because we both had patience and accepted what happened, it was all about skill and respect. I could have been a dick and rammed you off on the final straight to secure a win but I didn't because running it up to the line was more exciting and a win that you deserved. I've had similar good races with Raz and others so its not like it can't happen.

I have to agree with you all. But as a novice driver myself, I will admit, I sometimes take corners "not at the optimum angle/speed". I do not purposely try to bump others, but it does happen. 

You can definatley tell when someone is blatantly aiming for you or when it was just a case of trying to hard to overtake. I usually give way when I know someone is trying to pass and they are clearly a better driver then myself. 

Anyways, I will be playing GRID a bunch over the next week if anyone wants to race and get some AW exp for the club, just let me know. You are warned though, I am still learning the tracks and am far from a pro driver. (easy exp/cash for you!)

That's my point Jester, everybody is at a different level so a few bumps here and there are to be expected! 

On the other note, I'll be around most likely the next week so can jump on! Good to see you active again, at least for now anyway :D

• 3 weeks later...