4 suggestions to improve current version

Skullywag

I have been playing on EU1 for a while now and have experienced both the newer version and the older (revive script) version of I&A and have some suggestions, im partially well known for creating "bravo squad" on the server and we usually have some decent conversation that obviously sometimes involves I&A, this is some of the feedback ive collated over the last month or so:

1: Anyone being able to plant C4 on radiotowers/sideobj diminishes the explosive expert role.

Suggestion: Make the exp expert the only role able to do this, it will promote squad play as he will need to be protected while he plants etc.

Problems: What if no one is an exp expert on the server?

Partial solution: give the ability to squad leads as well, if the squad lead cannot delegate to his exp expert he takes on the role himself. The main issue is still there but if there are no squad leads or exp experts on then someone will have to back out and be one of those roles.

2: Bring back the old squad manager and not the IPAD thingy.

Suggestion: The problem here isnt with the UI, its the lack of control, in the old version you could create a squad and accept deny requests plus allow your members to recruit etc...the new version has 4 squads and any number can join each. This is an issue that I have personally experienced, in that I create "bravo squad" and get my regulars in there, the server see us having a good time and working together and about an hour later I have 25 guys under my command...and the 3 other squads are empty.

3: copilot seats....

Suggestion: disable it as per a post on: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=11987, now im not an arma dev so no idea if this is feasible in terms of I&A, but If it is I feel this will give some stability and be less frustrating to players as currently I hear "get out of the copilot seat" about 50 times a day and see people dying due to chopper breakage quite a lot also.

Problems: pilot gets killed near AO, chopper lands but doesnt explode, sometimes a player would jump in copilot and return it to heli spawn. I dont have a solution to this bar ground pounders blow the chopper but then they need to have explosives of some kind...however currently, blowing the chopper seems to be the done thing anyway.

4: Can we get briefing tables/area back

Suggestion: Move the heli pads back a little so noise isnt so deafening in the main terminal, and make the side rooms briefing rooms, this will again promote proper squad play and push us away from the current lone wolf syndrome that seems to be taking over.

These seems to be the 4 most talked about subjects that as far as I know can be addressed.

Thanks for reading.

Also bring back cas as a sidemission-reward plz! Flying transport gets dull after some time, and now you also have the ability to parachute once the radiotower is down. So my suggestion is to bring back cas as a reward aswell. So pilots have something to look forward to.

Skully

I mostly agree with your points but disabling co-pilot slot it not good idea :(

because how you mentioned sometimes people will use co-pilot to bring Helis

back to base.

*PLUS*

Raz and Jester pretty pretty please get ride off new squad system :'(

It is not very useful and it is annoying because it brings "Group" command on

center of my screen :( and cost some live because of that >,..,<

P.S. Old squad system was much better :D

Ducky Out  :ph34r:

Regarding the squad system, it's the only one we have left to choose from. If you wish i can remove it,

Xeno has thrown his toys out of the pram, well actually he's scooping them back up and hiding them in his pram! He's said he'll take anybody that uses his squad UI to court because that is his intellectual property. Also if i said i didn't want somebody to use my stuff i would hope they respect my wishes.

Find me/Create a new squad system and you may have it.

It is NOT allowed to throw out even one error.

Disabling the copilot seat is a tricky game and I'm not sure it's worth it when weighing up pro vs con

Explosive experts are the only people that can blow up the tower as far as i know? Jester added that nugget in although now you mention it I'm not sure if it made this release.

If you want tables and chairs then by god you shall HAVE tables and chairs!! :)

Well I would like to make a AW Squad script with some features ;) but I don't have a knowledge or experience with ARMA scripting :'(

If some one can give some tips and tricks for ARMA mission make/scripting I may jump in to it :)

Regarding the squad system, it's the only one we have left to choose from. If you wish i can remove it,

Xeno has thrown his toys out of the pram, well actually he's scooping them back up and hiding them in his pram! He's said he'll take anybody that uses his squad UI to court because that is his intellectual property. Also if i said i didn't want somebody to use my stuff i would hope they respect my wishes.

Disabling the copilot seat is a tricky game and I'm not sure it's worth it when weighing up pro vs con

Explosive experts are the only people that can blow up the tower as far as i know? Jester added that nugget in although now you mention it I'm not sure if it made this release.

See, this, this is the info i was missing. I was not aware of the drama surrounding the groups script.

On the Co-pilot thing you would know better than I, so I bow to your experience on this one.

Anyone can currently blow stuff even if they have no explosives or are not an explosive expert (I know the carrying explosive would be almost impossible to check for so by role is fine) so if its gonna come in next release then yay.

Chairs! by god i do want! also YAY!

On the groups script front, I am a software developer by trade and I am a bit surprised at myself for not getting into Arma modding sooner, no other game has escaped my tinkerings so im not sure why Arma has, perhaps I just enjoy playing too much that I dont need to go that extra step.....maybe this is the time....

Just a note, it all belongs to Bohemia Interactive Studios.

Can't recall one instance of legal action being taken with any coders IP in ArmA.

Yes it is rightly frowned upon to use someone else's code against the authors will, but it legally belongs to BIS.

Xeno is quite fond of 'spitting the dummy' when it comes to "his toys" he wouldn't let Bis uses his domi mission for testing when Dwarden was running the Pref server tests in November/December,

His reason for the squad script is because it's part of Ace and he doesn't want it released as a separate entity as it may take away from the whole Ace launch if / when that ever happens

Xeno is quite fond of 'spitting the dummy' when it comes to "his toys" he wouldn't let Bis uses his domi mission for testing when Dwarden was running the Pref server tests in November/December,

His reason for the squad script is because it's part of Ace and he doesn't want it released as a separate entity as it may take away from the whole Ace launch if / when that ever happens

IIRC he was given the boot from the ACE dev team

So all of this and then some has been addressed in the latest version bar the co-pilot seat which is a core bug in the main game so nothing to be done really. Great job guys.

2.71e = copilot seat disabled on the workhorse transports, Mohawk and Ghosthawk, until BI fixes the desync issue with the crew seats. Ghosthawk gunner seats can still desync, but Mohawk will experience no desync bugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick suggestion, did'nt want to make this a whole seperate topic incase this has already been said.

Basically I've seen a script where VAS boxes can be lifted by choppers. It would be SO useful if someone (i havent a clue to code/programme anything) could implement this as there have been countless times when me and my squad/teammates have been in a long meaty firefight with cheeky OPFORs and run out of ammo. If i could call in an ammo drop not only would it be useful but it would also look super cool. As I've said ive seen it on other servers so i imagine (once again i have no clue about scripting) that its relatively easy to implement this onto the wonderful AW servers.

Just a quick suggestion, did'nt want to make this a whole seperate topic incase this has already been said.

Basically I've seen a script where VAS boxes can be lifted by choppers. It would be SO useful if someone (i havent a clue to code/programme anything) could implement this as there have been countless times when me and my squad/teammates have been in a long meaty firefight with cheeky OPFORs and run out of ammo. If i could call in an ammo drop not only would it be useful but it would also look super cool. As I've said ive seen it on other servers so i imagine (once again i have no clue about scripting) that its relatively easy to implement this onto the wonderful AW servers.

In 2.71f, UH-80 Ghosthawk can drop a para-drop a supply box.