razgriz33

new -->Submit your questions here!<--

This thread is for asking and answering any question you may have regarding arma and I&A. It has been generated as a result of the bombardment I, Jester and others get when on teamspeak. I encourage you to use ctl + F to find your question and then show spoiler to see the answer.

If your question is not already in the list, feel free to ask it here and not in teamspeak, Thank you.

note: Admins may delete your post and add them to this one to save space.

How can we test new versions?

By being in the right place at the right time, around the late hours of saturday night is where most testing is done, rarely mid week. Raz will normally say something like "ok, *sigh* who's ready to break something?"

When is the new version of I&A out and what can we expect?

We try to release things when they're done but sometimes public testing is required and so we release regularly as features are completed. around once every week or 2 weeks. Each dev has to organise their own workload, some make todo lists for all admins to see and some jot things down on sticky notes. If you've come up with an idea and have inspired us to work on it then you might just see it next release.

What script does I&A use for spawning enemies ?

None. It uses a bis function.

Will you try and tackle the FPS issues we sometimes have?

Yes, it's an ongoing battle to try new features but also to keep the game playing nicely, we try all sorts including roll backs and script changes to try and make it as efficient as possible, if you have an idea to help, feel free to submit a post here

Who works on I&A currently?

Firstly Rarek is the gentleman that made the mission, he's taking a break and we respect his vision for I&A as much as possible. Mainly Jester adds more elements than razgriz does but it is definitely a good working partnership, even then if you have an idea for a side mission, priority target and such, we encourage you to see how they're made, make one and hand it over to us! we'd love to see it.

I have an idea for a side mission

Great! look at how the current ones are made and model it off of that, submit it to us and we'll gladly give it a test! if it's good enough we'll use it

just how much time do the devs put into this?

A lot, especially in the late hours of a Saturday night when we want to be playing the game! so we kindly respect that you encourage us rather than badger us to get things done. We are volunteers after all

will the wildcat be implemented?

I spent over 2 hours saturday night trying to stop that pesky MRot from breaking, i've tried all sorts, event handlers for damage mainly but to no avail... We shall have to wait for Bohemia to actually release things that work

Will I&A return to Stratis?

It is something we want to do! You, reading this could probably do it. I know nothing about scripting? you may say, well just take a look and you might just surprise yourself[

Can we play as AAF or CSAT?

That's a cool idea, it wouldn't be too difficult to do but time consuming. We'll see in the future after we make a nice stable version I&A

How do i become an admin?

You can register your interest with us but as a lot of our admins will tell you, they we're asked and selected to join the team. Play on our servers and get to know us on teamspeak, if we believe you're made of the right stuff we'll do all the work to invite you

Can i run mods on your server?

yes you can, Shack tac hud, TAO folding map, VTS weapon resting are the main recommended ones to enhance your experience but we also play with JSRS (when that has a key it will be public) and ACRE

Do you HAVE to be on teamspeak to fly?

No, we encourage you to be on teamspeak, as long as you are doing what you're supposed to be doing we don't mind!

You took my slot from me! why?

if it was at mission start, we run a priority system so that those that help us keep the server running feel at least some kind of benefit as a thank you for support. The system is like this:

Subscribers first --> Members --> Teamspeak users --> Known users --> public

What is the "accredited flight" status about?

This is a fun way to just show off a little bit, they're not trying to say they're better than you, they went through a few flight tests with Archangel, they don't necessarily get priority and if we need a pilot we can always turn to them. Stay tuned to Archangel, he has some cool community things lined up

Are you working on anything else?

yes very often the Dev teams work on different things, some PVP aspects just lately with T&A, Deathmatch and Conquest

Your question not in the list? Ask it in a reply and an admin/ core staff will add it here!

When is the new version of I&A out and what can we expect?

There is a universal answer to this question among game developers, that I feel will be suitable here.

"When it's done."

Why TMR and speed of sound mod cannot accepted in US server?

Well, the simple answer is that the server does not currently have their .bikey files added. Any mod to be used on an AW server must have said key installed on the server beforehand.

In regards to those specific mods, TMR is a mod that we did allow up until very recently, however it broke with the most recent ARMA patch and was spamming our server with extremely large error report files (in excess of 1.5GB). We have had to disable it until further updates can be made.

As for a "speed of sound" mod, I cannot say that it has ever been requested. Please head over to this thread http://www.ahoyworld.co.uk/topic/763-accepted-addons/ and make a post requesting that the mod be tested. It would be helpful if you could include an overall description of the mod, as well as links to where it can be downloaded. If our staff determine that it is worth pursuing, and test that it works smoothly on the servers, then it could be added.

Speed of sound key was on eu1 and us1 not sure if it got taken off when jsrs went up, can't say for sure haven't been on the A3 serversin a few days,

Well, the simple answer is that the server does not currently have their .bikey files added. Any mod to be used on an AW server must have said key installed on the server beforehand.

In regards to those specific mods, TMR is a mod that we did allow up until very recently, however it broke with the most recent ARMA patch and was spamming our server with extremely large error report files (in excess of 1.5GB). We have had to disable it until further updates can be made.

As for a "speed of sound" mod, I cannot say that it has ever been requested. Please head over to this thread http://www.ahoyworld.co.uk/topic/763-accepted-addons/ and make a post requesting that the mod be tested. It would be helpful if you could include an overall description of the mod, as well as links to where it can be downloaded. If our staff determine that it is worth pursuing, and test that it works smoothly on the servers, then it could be added.

Can you elaborate on how TMR broke?

Where do I find these error files?

Sorry, my information on that is second-hand. Either Jester or razgriz could elaborate more, as I am not a developer.

I believe the error files are generated on the server side. TMR is a great mod. It is better than VTS on many accounts. But if it bogs down the server's efficiency, I guess we'll have to make do without it. Maybe there's a way to prevent it from making error logs? Some sort of -nologs parameter or something?

here is the thing with tmr. Although it is very nice at making the weaponresting easier since it does it automatically, it also changes a weapon or twos characteristics. So when we tested running this before, it kept throwing up errors if people connected with it running. Because we did not make the mission around the use of the addon, it does not put the required files into the mission for these changes. Hence, even though you are able to play with the addon because we had the bikeys there, it continually checked for these other files it needed to allow the weapons to work the way it wanted them to. Even moreso when someone eused those weapons.

After the latest patch, it broke it even more and really borked our logs.

Now you say "just use -nologs" .... 

I say to you - "NO!"

we will not compromise being able to fix errors just so you can use a mod. Just as we will not use a mod that requires people to have to download it in order to play on our servers.

So basically in a nutshell, either use VTS or not, that is your choice. Until they make TMR just a weaponresting mod, then it will not be used.

Yes I have noticed the errors on people joining concerning TMR.

I was not aware it affects server performance though.

From what I can tell re performance, one of the main issues is the creation of objects that don't get deleted when they're done, instead get 'stored/buried' with an ID tag and still accessed by the CPU or rendered even when they're obsolete. That's mostly on BI's side though and can't really be addressed through the mission file without reductive measures.

I'll have another look at whether or not TMR is worth it for I&A.

Merry christmas guys!

Hi all

I'm going to be taking a break from Arma due to having no internet at my new pad for a short while.

I wanted to post some quick feedback regarding the current build that's running on EU1. I've been playing it a lot over the last week or so and I'm hopefully representing the majority.

This is in no way meant to be criticism of the amazing work you guys put into your community and I must stress I have no personal vetted interest in any observations or suggestions. These are my observations from playing and conversing with other players in-game.

Since the move was taken to remove older server builds and stick with one consistently, I personally have noticed a dramatic decline in the player base, and specifically organised squad play, perhaps the essence of I&A.

I have been trying to figure out why and have a brief list of possible reasons:

1) The obvious removal of the revive script. The reason has been explained to myself and I understand, but perhaps a message somewhere to explain it to other players would help.

2) The AI appear to have regained their mighty Aimbotting skills and one-shot deaths quickly ensue. This was somewhat adjusted prior to this newest iteration of the build and was nicely balanced. From my personal perspective; being shot once while wearing body-armour, helmet and clothing isn't realistic. The build where you could absorb 2 or 3 hits before death gave you a fighting chance to get into better cover and possibly heal yourself. 

3) In addition to the above point, regarding aimbot AI and insta-death; Pilots are particularly vulnerable. Being one-shotted through the cockpit of the heli at ranges in excess of 1km isn't at all uncommon presently. This makes the pilot's job even more difficult and leads to pilot criticism from angry mobs of passengers, who often insist on 'as close to that hill as possible pilot!'.

4) Pilots being spontaneously killed when entering a helicopter.

5) Helicopters not having the lift script on server restart, the helicopter must be destroyed to enable it.

6) A sudden lack of variation with side-missions. One of the great parts of A&I teamwork is seeing squads kit out in scuba gear or with parachutes. The only side mission that appears spawn recently is to destroy an enemy HQ.

7) Following on from point 6, is a map glitch that frustrates many players at present. The side mission and sometimes the Radio tower fail to show up on the map. Some people see it and others don't. This is particularly difficult for a pilot also.

8) Litter at base. Not sure why, but all the items people discard at spawn from VAS are not de-spawning; resulting in a ridiculous amount of items laying on the floor. The same for corpses on the heli-pads. The mannequins at mainbase and heli-spawn are a strange addition, they don;t appear to serve any purpose and are often a deformed mutant blod with 6 arms and 2 heads, all melded together. this does very little for any sense of realism, unless you are on Jacob's Ladder ;) 

Sorry for the long post, but I am only trying to help and hope you understand what i am referring to in these points. 

I could of course come on TS and start babbling about them but I really don't want to start hassling you guys when you are chilling out or busy playing/admin. I've been admin on many games in the past and I know how difficult it is.

If you want any elaboration feel free to shout me in TS or send me a message through the website and I'll get back to you asap.

thanks for reading and thanks for all the great work you do for the community. 

when will this download and changelog topic receive an update its been like 6 months now still with old versions

im waiting for a new stratis update...if there is any

when will this download and changelog topic receive an update its been like 6 months now still with old versions

So far no Stratis update. As for the changelog/public downloads, I have asked the same question myself, thus far no answer.

I'll have next version cleaned up and ready for Monday 21st Apr. 

On my end it will be v2.75.3

in addition even to what is on the EU#1 now (v2.72) (which is a little different from the 2.65b in the changelog here), you will notice a couple things new/different:

- Slightly better performance, and noticeably faster mission load times.

- the mission file will be MUCH easier for admins/editors to tweak and understand, than 2.65b and even 2.72 versions

- Radio tower no longer accurately marked

- New set of "get Intel" side missions. Be careful, these can be failed   ;)

- urban missions will be in rotation with the 'destroy' and 'get intel' missions instead of their own cycle. (will yield a performance boost too)

- traditional side missions will require an action-menu "plant C4" to destroy, thereby protecting it from CAS/mortar fire.

- rescue and capture HVT side missions (these won't be ready for next week).

- An extra priority target that will rotate with the artillery PT.

- Altis sliced up into 5 regions, and the AOs will cycle through all locations in a region before moving to the next random region. effect is reduced driving distance between AOs to encourage ground vehicle play. Lets face it, Altis is big and no one likes 20km drives in a tracked vehicle.

- Much more randomized selection of OPFOR units/vehicles in AOs and side missions. Sometimes it will be easier, sometimes much harder, but always with a backbone of stiff AA cover.

- enemy CAS will be slightly more effective (watch out tank drivers!!).

-- If I have time, I'll finish getting the enemy JTAC working properly with the CAS so he will call in bombs on your position with the laser designator. (I have it operating fine for the bomb runs, but there are a couple wrinkles to iron out with respect to despawning).

- FOBs. Each region gets it's own FOB (3 total), with a limited selection of assets in place. Re-supply missions and defend missions will be integrated in later versions, but not for next week. The goal is to get people out of the airbase terminal and into the field, yet still have helicopters be the primary mode of transport.

- Defend AO sequence may lose its visible "Assault ends in..." timer, but the duration (5-10 mins) will remain the same. This is for reasonable performance boost during the defend mission.

- unmarked hardpoints in the AO. MG nests and hardened firing positions. (this is a WIP and subject to gameplay balancing concerns and personal time constraints. may not be completed and properly tested in time).

- and of course a couple bug-fixes, related to VAS (auto-scrolling), vehicle respawning, binoculars/etc on respawn, and unnecessary (duplicated) initialization processes and loops that eat up precious server CPU cycles.

- some of the more performance-costly loops may be transferred over to manual cycling so players can 'push-button' maintain the mission themselves rather than server CPU doing it. specifically related to garbage cleanup.

- Zeus moderator may also be a parameter option, with instructions on how to make it accessible to only certain UIDs (whitelist).  [this also is WIP, may not make it in depending on gameplay and integration obstacles to overcome].

--

re Stratis, it's a simple port but would take a few hours to do, ensuring everything worked properly and was re-balanced properly for the smaller island.

I'll do that for a future version, but not for 2-3 weeks at least.

hello,

i was wondering if any author / editor of invade and annex could take a look at this bug report

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=18138

i wish to see this fixed but it looks like a needle in a haystack to find it

Testing a fix for it this week.

There are two possible 'could' explanations I have:

1. Could be caused by collision with terrain on respawn.

I've gone through the respawn code and identified/re-coded a potential source of the issue. However, if it is--only--this then why does it not happen to all vehicles, or the UGV? Only bomb-equipped UAVs. 

2. Could be the setCombatMode default on spawn.

When the UAV is connected-to by the operator, the Gunner appears to get a positive lock on the ground beneath it, and drop its ordnance on the tarmac under it.

The hope is that by setting its default combatMode on spawn to "BLUE", the gunner may get a lock on the ground but it will 'never fire'. This can be manually toggled later by the operator.

--

While I'm here, one of the other problems with the UAVs was discovered a couple months ago, symptomatic of all-day JIP missions with re-spawning UAVs.

The UAVs may still be connected to the prior operator's terminal

Two possible solutions:

1. on respawn, first delete the current UAV crew, and then spawn another.

2. try using a different respawn method for UAVs, such as BI integrated vehicle respawn module, or a script like VVS.

- Radio tower no longer accurately marked

How will this effect the additional red-circle map zone defining a minefield around the tower?

- traditional side missions will require an action-menu "plant C4" to destroy, thereby protecting it from CAS/mortar fire.

Can we push the countdown timer on the C4 charges out to 40 seconds to bring them inline with planted charges? It is a rather large explosion that has a tendency to bring down the surrounding buildings, and people who arent paying attention get caught in the blast to easily. Also perhaps a global popup when the charges are planted so that everyone knows?

- FOBs. Each region gets it's own FOB (3 total), with a limited selection of assets in place. Re-supply missions and defend missions will be integrated in later versions, but not for next week. The goal is to get people out of the airbase terminal and into the field, yet still have helicopters be the primary mode of transport.

Nice to see the Tempest truck FOB thing getting some traction, can you elaborate further on how these will be implemented?

- Zeus moderator may also be a parameter option, with instructions on how to make it accessible to only certain UIDs (whitelist).  [this also is WIP, may not make it in depending on gameplay and integration obstacles to overcome].

There has been pretty solid expression from Raz that Zeus and I&A will not mesh well together and probably will not be a planned feature...might want to confer with him on this.

How will this effect the additional red-circle map zone defining a minefield around the tower?

The minefield has its own razor-wire fence around it, big enough to flip tanks and cripple hunters. In addition, the RT marker still will say "Radiotower (Minefield)". Other than that, no markings. RT will be marked similar to current side missions, only smaller radius than those markers.

Can we push the countdown timer on the C4 charges out to 40 seconds to bring them inline with planted charges? It is a rather large explosion that has a tendency to bring down the surrounding buildings, and people who arent paying attention get caught in the blast to easily. Also perhaps a global popup when the charges are planted so that everyone knows?

It is actually my intention to make the explosion smaller, so as not to bring down buildings. Just haven't had time to tweak it so.

re timers. the ones broadcasted to all players actually lag the server in a permanent way. an example is the AO defend timer. It is better just to have a 'Crossroads' message to announce certain things, as it is distributed via public variable, instead of bis_fnc_mp. ill see about putting a crossroads message on the destroy missions when C4 is planted ... but that is a low priority task at the moment.

Nice to see the Tempest truck FOB thing getting some traction, can you elaborate further on how these will be implemented?

the Tempest is a truck not a FOB. FOBs are small NATO-built fortifications with a small selection of weapons/ammo (no VAS) and light vehicles and some logistics (repair and med bay).

Going forward (not next week), OPFOR will try to control these FOBs, and periodically attack/fortify/defend them against BLUFOR.

There is transportation TO them, but not FROM. You will require helicopters/vehicles to get from, and FOBs may still be 3-5km from an AO, as they are not mobile. The goal is to make vehicle/ground play more inviting, while ensuring helicopters remain as useful as they are.

There has been pretty solid expression from Raz that Zeus and I&A will not mesh well together and probably will not be a planned feature...might want to confer with him on this.

full Zeus GM abilities is a nightmare for admins to manage, as a bad/naughty GM can drain server pop rapidly.

What I had in mind was stripping the abilities down to only being able to push a couple squads around within the AO.

in any case, if (and its still an if) I manage to get it working to my liking, ill leave easy instructions for how to completely remove it safely from the mission.