Flight Test

Archangel

Howdy, Y'all!

As some of you may know, we here at Ahoy have been efforting putting together a Flight test that'll give you guys a chance to earn those wings and the status of accredited Pilot. :)

What is the significance of the ACCREDITED PILOT stamp you'll earn? Well, at the moment, nothing more than bragging rights, as well as a nifty little pin in the TS channels you'll get, that hopefully will fill future passengers of yours with the utmost of confidence that you'll deliver them safely, and in one piece, to their deadly, deadly LZ's.

In the future, however, we may consider this test as part of the admission process to Ahoy's Flight Club.*

So, this is the place to sign up for testing, as well as discussing any questions or comments you might have about the flight test, and putting forward any ideas you might have for an eventual flight club.

Lastly, I want to make sure everyone understands that this is not meant to lead to any exclusionary or unfair practices. Accredited Pilots will not by default have any special rights or privileges in our public servers. I think everyone can agree that one of the hallmarks of our community is the presence of an equal playing field, and we do not aim to disturb that.

*not yet a "thing", but it's on our radar

Sounds pretty cool.  Something like having an official AW symbol on your chopper?  Like the great corndog...

The AW logo on vehicles is granted to listed members of the AW community once they are added to the appropriate squad.xml file. And acquiring that is a different matter entirely.

Q.1.

are we gonna have ranks ? according to the most daring aerial undertakings (re. flying KopyLot with Hoax in the dark when he has AA turned off and can't see power lines!)

Major = landing upside down in a hot LZ and still delivering a full Mohawk full of troops

Captain = achieving orbit while carrying the sub then delivering it and full crew to the Aquatic side mission without losing altitude

Q.2.

is there a league table ?

ranging from - infinity...   which is the new guy that crashes the GhostHawk into the main base flag poles

to

twenteen bajillion...  which is the guy who takes out 5 Kajmans solo above the AO with a Mohawk or HummingBird, without RTB !   :)

Glad to see everyone's support and interest in the matter.

Good questions; feel free to ask away in here.

First question's answer: don't think we'll be giving xml tags for this, but you will get the ts channel tag.

next question: ranks? I haven't considered it... Once we have flight club members, we can discuss it.

Last question: I'm not entirely sure I understand this one, but I can tell you that since the test is divided into 3 parts, each section graded 0 to 100, then averaged out for a test total, we will be able to see how you did compared to others.

Just to offer a hand of support to any would be "new Pilots"

I managed to hack into Archangel's test server and DL'ed the pre-flight checklist and appropriate responses.

memorise these for theory test day :

P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.

P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.

P: Something loose in cockpit.
S: Something tightened in cockpit.

P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on back-order.

P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute
descent.
S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.

P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.

P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to more believable level.

P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
S: That's what they're for.

P: IFF inoperative.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

P: Suspected crack in windshield.
S: Suspect you're right.

P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

P: Aircraft handles funny.
S: Aircraft warned to straighten up, fly right, and be serious.

P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.

P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.

you forgot one, and the most important one that was actually entered into a service log by an engineer in the RAF a number of years ago

P. Tapping sound coming from behind the ILS panel in cockpit

S. Opened panel and took hammer away from the little man inside it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, Here's how it works: Once a week, we will Schedule the Flight tests. Sign up here, and we will put you on the board.

The Flight test is drastically different from any previous version you might have been privy to. Three Ghosthawks will fly infantry to a nearby town, drop them off, then offer support while the infantry engages enemy infantry. When the enemy is eliminated, the Infantry will move to an extraction point, and The Helos will pull them out. That's it, Mission Complete. Sounds easy, No? You try.   B)

Now, for a bit of technical stuff, the reason the test took so long to make, and the reason that version was abandoned, was because the test was large and elaborate and designed to run with as few as 2 test staff and 1 tester. That one hit so many brick walls, that I got burnt out and gave up. Now, we have this test, which works much better, and best of all, is complete, however, here's the catch: we need a Test staff of at least 5 people, with optimally 8, and can support up to 12. Wowzers!

So, We need volunteers. For every test taker, we will need a staff of 2 pilots, and 3 ghosthawk gunners. On top of that, The test will be a lot better if we also had: 3 other gunners, as well as a pilot and spotter for AH-9 Pawnees (2 of these are available)

Also, in order to accomplish a couple of things, we need to follow these guidelines RE Testing in general:

1. Test Takers Can Take the Test Once a Week.
  2. Crash, or Die, and Your Test is Automatically Completed For You!
  3. Because of the Potential Strain on Test Staff** There will only be UP TO 5 Tests Per Week

**Test Staff consist of anyone on Ahoy Whom could be considered at least a Known User. We (AW Staff) Will do what we can to accommodate and administrate these tests, but it always helps if you (the Test Taker) can bring a few people with you to act as Test staff. Feel free to ask people to be your gunner, or what not, and ask players who you would consider to be good pilots to act as such in the Test, HOWEVER DO NOT HARASS OR ANNOY ANY OF OUR PLAYERBASE. If they don't want to or aren't able to help, no is no, and that's it. This is supposed to be a fun thing for everyone, and we don't want it to become a chore, or something we avoid TS because of. (Also, don't end sentences in prepositions)

Okay, so far, we have sanguine and Bruce scheduled for this Friday or Saturday. I am available either days. Let me know what works for you, and if any others want to try out, sign in here. Also, if you're interested in helping, you can volunteer here too.

I'm in, I definitely want my Piloting Skills to be tested. I'd also have no problem helping out when others are being tested. :D

I'm even more interested in the Flight Club your talking about. I'm not to sure what your aiming at with the Flight Club but I do have a few ideas about it.

1. Possibly adding a monument in-game somewhere near the spawn, with the names of the Pilots in the Flight Club. The monument could intimidate other Pilots to strive to fly better and join the AW community.
  2. Adding a "clubhouse" on the second floor of the Airport at the spawn. Complete with a VAS, Chairs and Tables!
  3. This one would be a little more tricky in my opinion, but adding some sort of "Arma 3 Flight Club" tab on the Ahoy World website, where anyone could post comments involving anything to do with flying in Arma 3.

What do you guys think? :huh: