Hardcore Server

technerd89

Support the concept of a Hardcore server?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see an increased-difficulty, small-unit oriented server?

Ill try to keep this concept short and simple.

A lot of our members and outside players have expressed an interest in seeing more difficult AO's and a greater amount of infantry resistance, particularly among those players who tend towards cooperative small-unit combat.

My proposal is thus. Throw up another official server dubbed specifically for "hardcore mode" with the following changes.

-Maximum player cap of 18. This allows for 2 8-man squads, and 2 pilot slots. (Modification of the player slots)

-Increased amount of enemy infantry encountered in an AO

-Reduction in enemy vehicles in AO (with lower manpower, it becomes increasingly difficult to carry and effect that much AT)

-Shorter BTC death timer (180 seconds? Forces squads to actively move with and protect their medic to rescue a downed man)

-Increased respawn time on several high-use vehicles at base (To prevent casual wasting and lone-wolfing)

Additional suggestions are welcome (but may or may not be implemented)

Also, I am aware that some of my suggested changes would require an offshoot version of I&A fielded specifically to meet this concept, and personally I believe that is something we should keep in-house, and should only be updated on the side, after a new mainstream build of I&A is released. No point in releasing it as a separate map for public download, as server owner/operators have the ability to field said config changes themselves if they feel the need.

Diddnt really say anything about increasing the AI difficulty settings, just increasing the amount of bodies they throw at us. Aimbotty-AIs has long been an issue on I&A and with Arma3 in general, so I suppose it is something that could be increased in very small increments until we find that happy spot that is challenging but not instagib

All good ideas. I like this and support it. Here is my thoughts/ideas just from reading this and popping into my head.

• 20-30 slots (will still make for tight knit groups as well as smaller "cells" for special purposes. also will help keep FPS drop down a ton) we already know as developers that there is a human to AI ratio limit. the exact ratio is unknown by anyone but people are testing this and it is shown that the less human players the more AI you can toss in. anyways...)
  • move it back to Stratis. I think Stratis makes for a great infantry based island.
  • take out enemy air assets, maybe every now and then one will come and support the AO. very seldom though. (1 in 4-5 AO's?)
  • make playable faction independant? possibly against blufor?
  • make a few bigger vehicles available from start with long cooldowns.
  • no air support for human side, just transport.
  • jack up the enemy infantry # and lower vehicle patrol #
  • make enemy occupy the buildings so that they need cleared CQB style.

Well if its going to be on Stratis, which I do in general like that idea, it'll have to wait until we have a functioning stock version of I&A Stratis.

As for slots I was thinking something along these lines

Alpha Squad - 8 man

Bravo Squad - 8 man

Pilot Team - 2 man

Sniper Team - Sniper/sniper or sniper/spotter?

Support Team - 2 man (These slots would fill the roles akin to Haymaker, Deathstar, or some other kind of support vehicle crew such as ammo HEMTT)

Well if its going to be on Stratis, which I do in general like that idea, it'll have to wait until we have a functioning stock version of I&A Stratis.

Maybe you were not around when it happened, but who do you think ported I&A over to Altis? I have my eyes on porting it back to Stratis soon. It is on my to-do list, I just have been implementing some thing into the Altis map and wanted to iron them out before I pop it back on Stratis. It is coming though. I might just make this hardcore type map the stratis one and leave it at that for release.

Have 2 servers, 1 running Altis, designed for 50 peeps running traditional I&A, and then the 2nd server running the smaller 20 to 30 man infantry oriented Variant of I&A on Stratis.

However, I believe it'd be a waste of assets to make the stratis mapped, infantry based team GreenFor; their new helo and armor would be better suited for the large numbers and area of Altis, in my opinion.

Maybe you were not around when it happened, but who do you think ported I&A over to Altis? I have my eyes on porting it back to Stratis soon. It is on my to-do list, I just have been implementing some thing into the Altis map and wanted to iron them out before I pop it back on Stratis. It is coming though. I might just make this hardcore type map the stratis one and leave it at that for release.

Oh no, I was definitely around for Stratis, but (correct me if I am wrong) our last Stratis version ([14 - 08 - 2013] AW Invade & Annex 2.94.0) is no longer compatible with the current version of Arma, so until we have a CURRENT Stratis map....dont worry, I am caught up :P

Just as long as it doesn't turn into an all night hunt for the last man hiding in a dark corner....  :)

No, that very rarely happens on I&A because the config file allows the server host to determine how many infantry can be left in an AO before it terminates, right now on the AW servers its set to somewhere in the area of 5