[Minecraft Suggestion] Creative Server?

Lizminite

Question

I was just thinking it might be cool to have a creative minecraft server on Ahoy World. We have some really talented builders here, I am positive we could build an amazing server! I know we can build awesome structures on the survival server, but i think this is limiting as you have to have the supplies and the space claimed. Anyways i think some people may just want to build without having to go through the faff of collecting resources, when you have the sudden urge to build a gigantic pirate ship (ahoy there matey ;D) you want to just let that idea flow without needing to gather stuff first!

I know this would be a target for griefing and such, but isn't that what Whitelists and backups are for? :D We have a great community here and it'd be cool to see what we could create with the limitlessness of creative mode! 

It would be cool to consider this as a possible addition to the minecraft community here! :)

11 answers to this question

Well, Creating a whole new server for it could be a pretty good idea, we may even be able to use something like Multi-world to create a creative world on the vanilla/ftb server. As we can use it to creative a world where everyone is forced into creative mode.

I don't see why this can't happen :)

We did used to have it setup that we'd have a survival and a creative server, however that's recently been restructured. It's a great idea and I'd love to see it too, minecraft servers do take up a lot of resources though.

I don't feel creative mode is for me. Collecting resources and be wary of monsters is part of the fun for me and the main motivator for my designs.

Id agree with Danne on this tbh, i feel like im not creative enough in creative mode so to speak, if that makes any sense at all.

Well, really, it'd be for the people that do feel like they wanna do creative. Some people just wanna take it easy and not have to hunt for the resources, I know we find it fun and more rewarding, but ift they want to build large cities and really cool creative builds then I don't see why they shouldnt be able to :)

To have a creative world added to the vanilla server shouldn't be too difficult actually, and not too resource intensive. 

The main issue here is whether we have enough minecraft users to justify 3 servers, I love creative mode, All I do is build and tbh I tend to just treat Minecraft like a giant lego box in single player!

However we have previously run Creative, Survival & Tekkit servers but after a few weeks they just lost players. My suggestion would be this.

Put this forward on freedcamp in the Minecraft section but show you've got a solid method of gathering users through Minecraft.

If our resources weren't limited I would say go for it straight away but it's something core staff will need to see and discuss.

Could we utilize Multi-verse with this? Although I know there would be some things like bob travels to creative world gets emeralds then hikes back to the survival map... Are there addons/rules you can put in place to prevent this? because we could just use one server for a variety of different rule sets? without having tonnes of different servers etc.  

I think we should focus on getting the vanilla and FTB up to scratch and getting them established before adding a third server and potentially more overhead. 

Ferg covered the other points. 

Could we utilize Multi-verse with this? Although I know there would be some things like bob travels to creative world gets emeralds then hikes back to the survival map... Are there addons/rules you can put in place to prevent this? because we could just use one server for a variety of different rule sets? without having tonnes of different servers etc.  

As I said, we can use multiverse for this. And with multiverse we are able to put the rules on to make it so that creative and survival cannot mix in terms of items :)

I think half the fun of building large scale projects in survival is just the shear terror you can encounter while doing it, and the planning on how to build actually it! I mean, how hard is it to build something "floating" in mid air when you can fly?

If resources are the problem, then there are ways to solve this kind of issues.