Few suggestions.

itsmemario

Question

Since player count has dropped and most times there are no pilots online and you need to solo most of the stuff can we have few things?

-Move main base to terminal so no need for drive 20km for every side and back for rearm?

-Or make first AO terminal so we get it unlocked sooner.

-Why sniper cant have those fancy thermal NV's googles that recon squad have?

-This one is really needed, Unflip vehicle. lots of times there's like 2 guys playing and ill drive 14km to mission just to flip few km's off and leave because all the time wasted for no reason.

-If main base or terminal unlock cant happen can we have few strider spawns at main atleast, can fit more gear in those and no need to rearm after every mission.

6 answers to this question

On 10/9/2022 at 12:22 PM, itsmemario said:

This one is really needed, Unflip vehicle. lots of times there's like 2 guys playing and ill drive 14km to mission just to flip few km's off and leave because all the time wasted for no reason.

Agree

Some things I believe that could improve the I&A3 experience for players and apologies to @Whigital if somehow the first couple of these are stepping on your toes...

I believe Whigi created a small server-side mod which made CSAT armor values more akin to what we have as players so they're not such tanks.  Apparently it would need to be installed on the server and HC and IIRC he said he did some initial testing which looked good.  Shooting bad guys over and over to only receive a shrug emoji isn't terribly fun.

I was on one evening where we played around with a function dealing with animation Whigi found whereby it would make stamina recovery faster so you're not standing there for a minute just waiting for your sights to stop twerking.  Added with the current custom aim coefficient of 0.7 it was a much more pleasant experience and seemed completely reasonable.  I think the fix would just have to be added to initPlayerLocal and maybe onPlayerRespawn.

I check I&A3 completion % from time-to-time when I'm on at night and it's mostly in the 20-ish percent range so I don't think either of these would "Make I&A3 too easy" while mitigating mechanics that just lead to player frustration and as far as I know, they're things Whigi has already come up with so no new development needed on his part, probably just some testing.  

Otherwise the one main thing I notice when the server is low-pop is players trying to find those last couple garrisoned buildings and patrols (don't get me wrong, decorations on them has helped immensely with the former, kudos Whigi) can take a long time which is pretty boring, it's the one time you actually want AI to shoot at you.  I don't have a solution to this that I can think of that wouldn't be an SQF nightmare besides maybe reducing the diameter of main AOs by 100m if that's just a global variable to reduce the search area for those wandering patrols which would at least mitigate that issue. 

Oh!  One more and this is all me: I think every main AO spawns with at least 2 Tigri, there's often AA emplacements as either priority or sub objectives and on top of that there's CSAT with AA manpads and of course we have sides that spawn enemy fixed wings.  Maybe the skies above Altis don't need to be quite so hostile to transport pilots and my suggestion would be to get rid of enemy AA teams and just make them something else.  At least then pilots have a reasonable ability to know when the skies are clear and drop infantry deeper into the AO without fear of getting blasted in the face by a manpad for their effort.  I'm not a pilot, but manpads have to be frustrating AF considering all the other threats they have to deal with plus they push "safe" LZs further away from the AO except for the brave or the fools.

I hope these suggestions are taken with the sprit intended, which is to make AW I&A3 a more enjoyable experience for players while making the absolute minimum of work for the developers.  I think mid/low-pop is just going to be the reality for awhile until Arma4 comes out so we should accommodate that reality and it's not like we can't tweak things if we end up in the happy place where we attract and retain more players.  (Upping main AO count could be the solution if that happens.)

And sorry for bringing up so much stuff which I understand makes it difficult to address my word vomit. :)

@itsmemario

-Move main base to terminal so no need for drive 20km for every side and back for rearm?

-Or make first AO terminal so we get it unlocked sooner.

-If main base or terminal unlock cant happen can we have few strider spawns at main atleast, can fit more gear in those and no need to rearm after every mission.

Given that we are invading the island, having the main airbase under our control immediately didn't seem right, however we have added Striders at base and changed the AO selection process so it should get to Guardian faster.

-Why sniper cant have those fancy thermal NV's googles that recon squad have?

I think the fancy toys are what make Recon special and diluting this make the entire game more bland so, unfortunately this wasn't added 

-This one is really needed, Unflip vehicle. lots of times there's like 2 guys playing and ill drive 14km to mission just to flip few km's off and leave because all the time wasted for no reason.

The unflip action has been changed to avoid this and will be available on the next version launching this weekend

@JJ Cakes

I believe Whigi created a small server-side mod which made CSAT armor values more akin to what we have as players so they're not such tanks.  Apparently it would need to be installed on the server and HC and IIRC he said he did some initial testing which looked good.  Shooting bad guys over and over to only receive a shrug emoji isn't terribly fun.

Some backend changes need to happen for this, just waiting on that to happen before we can test and deploy

Otherwise the one main thing I notice when the server is low-pop is players trying to find those last couple garrisoned buildings and patrols (don't get me wrong, decorations on them has helped immensely with the former, kudos Whigi) can take a long time which is pretty boring, it's the one time you actually want AI to shoot at you.

A change has been made to how garrisoning works which should help

One more and this is all me: I think every main AO spawns with at least 2 Tigri, there's often AA emplacements as either priority or sub objectives and on top of that there's CSAT with AA manpads and of course we have sides that spawn enemy fixed wings.  Maybe the skies above Altis don't need to be quite so hostile to transport pilots and my suggestion would be to get rid of enemy AA teams and just make them something else.

The amount of AA during low pop has been tweaked