CAS change

After playing Mike Force, where players are able to create tasks for other teams, It made me wonder if it's possible to put something in for ground troops to be able to order up CAS, which would unlock the various CAS assets heavy and/or guided weapons for 5 minutes. (GBUs, Macers, Skalpels, Blackfish's 105mm, Wipeout's BRRRTTTTTT, Sharur, DAGR, etc) and let people just fail at will with the light CAS assets. (DARs, Miniguns, etc)  I'm wondering if this would help alleviate the amount of time admins spend telling people CAS must be called in. Optionally restrict it to players at 0 altitude within 2km of a main/side/prio.

Probably this is too much work, or too impactful for play, but thought it worth at least voicing the idea for discussion.

I like the idea of readily usable CAS, since it was historically widely used in the Vietnam conflict. Conserving the team work aspect of calling in the CAS like we do on normal I&A3 as well.

Perhaps some sort of implementation, like your suggestion, could work depending on how much coding and black magic is involved.

• 2 months later...

Sorry, totally missed this one.

I have a pretty good idea on how to implement this, but the problem is, which group to assign the task to. There aren't any static groups for Vortex or FSG/Deathstar for example, which makes it problematic.

We could assign the task to player side, but that will probably just confuse non-pilots ....

//Whigi

Hmm, I'm not saying I do or don't like the idea of it being assigned to the entire player side, I'd need to think some more on that. But it would mean that all players have an indicator that heavy ordinance is inbound on a location, and they should perhaps not run straight into it. Which may or may not be handy lessons to have learnt, should they wish to go onto more serious milsim servers, such as AWE

6 hours ago, Noah_Hero said:

Tell that to the ones who kept running into minefields around RTs 😉😀

But I like the general idea as well. 🙂

Ah yes and also the big capital letter side chat warning to stay clear of the tower when you've rigged it to blow, you look up and instantly see a full squad charging the tower.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:08 AM, Bomer said:

Would it be possible to assign it to roles?

Yes, but having thought about it, might be better to assign the tasks to side, so everyone on the server have the information.

For CAS on armor/vehicles, it's easy enough to code some logic that makes a task assigned to that vehicle, and make it succeed when destroyed, or fail after a timeout.

For Mortars, it would be a little trickier, since the target is usually an area and not a specific object/vehicle.

• 2 months later...

Building on the OP here (i think) would it be possible to add some automated supports for players (when there is a low sever population) or groups (when a larger number join up and work together). I was in the editor recently and toying around with Zeus (1st time) and saw that you can call in gun runs, missiles, arty etc as task. My thought was this would be great to have in the player supports sub menu. Support would be limited time/amount per AO and called in on marker/grid ref. Well I put it here to see if those who can do this kinda magic know if this is possible and if other people think it would add another level of fun?