Clean-up script trigger warning for I&A 3

Pickle

Question

I would like to suggest adding a warning that will show up in chat or anywhere else that warns all players about clean-up script going to remove items & ragdolls from ground in XX seconds. We already get a lot of advertisements, announcements and log-in/out notifications in chatbox. having a notification for clean-up script shouldn't do much harm.

5 answers to this question

We moved away from feature releases and rewrites of I&A 3 A while ago, This was a combination of 2 factors. At the time I&A and arma were in a happy place, Development on I&A4 was going well and features that needed improvement from 3 made more sense to be bundled into a the complete rewrite rather than trying to tidy up all the old code. As well this we also noticed that the more we were tweaking and editing I&A 3 we would often find that this caused performance issues on the server side. Granted hard to notice now, since the servers have been updated but the impact was noticeable, especially around the first and second releases of features while we ironed out bugs. We took the decision that having a reliable, stable mission took precedence.

This has meant that some things are still not ideal but it does mean that I&A 4, written from the ground up has more of these quality of life improvements built in. In our opinion this is a better way to manage this as we can easily change back to a I&A 3 version that we know is working if there is an issue with the I&A 4s stability that effects the game-play in a major way.

We agree that Beta is still very much in development but we are getting closer and in this past beta run a lot of information was gathered on AI spawning and clean up mechanics that should make the experience better for everyone. However updating 3 with such changes is likely to increase instability and effect the downtime of the server rather than providing a reliable experience to players.

However we agree that I&A3 being our main mission for the current time means we do need to continue support with quality of life fixes and ensuring that the mission is running well for all to experience. As such we think that adding a chat notification before the script runs could be a good idea at this time as it does seem like a feature that would benefit the player base. 

REQUEST APPROVED

Spoiler
On 11/5/2020 at 11:24 PM, GhostDragon said:

We moved away from feature releases and rewrites of I&A 3 A while ago, This was a combination of 2 factors. At the time I&A and arma were in a happy place, Development on I&A4 was going well and features that needed improvement from 3 made more sense to be bundled into a the complete rewrite rather than trying to tidy up all the old code. As well this we also noticed that the more we were tweaking and editing I&A 3 we would often find that this caused performance issues on the server side. Granted hard to notice now, since the servers have been updated but the impact was noticeable, especially around the first and second releases of features while we ironed out bugs. We took the decision that having a reliable, stable mission took precedence.

This has meant that some things are still not ideal but it does mean that I&A 4, written from the ground up has more of these quality of life improvements built in. In our opinion this is a better way to manage this as we can easily change back to a I&A 3 version that we know is working if there is an issue with the I&A 4s stability that effects the game-play in a major way.

We agree that Beta is still very much in development but we are getting closer and in this past beta run a lot of information was gathered on AI spawning and clean up mechanics that should make the experience better for everyone. However updating 3 with such changes is likely to increase instability and effect the downtime of the server rather than providing a reliable experience to players.

However we agree that I&A3 being our main mission for the current time means we do need to continue support with quality of life fixes and ensuring that the mission is running well for all to experience. As such we think that adding a chat notification before the script runs could be a good idea at this time as it does seem like a feature that would benefit the player base. 

REQUEST APPROVED

Thank you for your detailed answer! I did not consider server stability when I wrote that. As a regular in EU1, I am excited and hopeful about I&A4 but also happy to see you guys don't let go the I&A3.