PMC Ops Hell Week 6

Server Details: 

IP: 116.202.224.207

Port: 2302

Mods Required:

Arma 3 Preset PMC Hell.html

TS address: ts.ahoyworld.net

TEAMSPEAK MISSION BRIEFING FOR ALL PLAYERS WILL BEGIN AT 17.30 UTC

Expected Mission Length: 120+ minutes (may go over or under expected mission length)

Player Slots: 35 (5 Teams of 6, command and vortex )

Situation

After multiple instances of trespass in their airspace Finnish authorities have shot down an unidentified and unresponsive aircraft which has crashed south of our position. In order to discover the source of this jet the Finnish authorities have requested we attempt to recover a flight recorder or something similar which will give insight into the source of this aircraft. Early reports suggest it was a jet from the Mig family. ISR is reporting an increased level of activity around the crash site, suggesting that the FLF are looking for the same thing, possibly to cover up the information we are trying to recover.

Assets:

1 x MH-6M Littlebird

1 x Bell UH-1H

Various ground transport and support vehicles

Friendly Forces:

Finnish Maavoimat (Army)

Enemy Forces:

Militant Extremists group known as Suomen vapautusrintama or Finnish Liberation Front

Civilians:

Large civilian presence to be expected.

Mission

Find and recover the flight info from the crash site before the FLF can get their hands on it.

Execution

Objectives:

1. Recover the flight recorder data from the crashed jet 

Movement Plan:

At Commanders discretion

Rules of Engagement: 

Marked military vehicles may be engaged at will. Change in ROE 

Return fire only in all other circumstances.

Civilians are present in the area so collateral damage is to be kept to a minimum.

Only buildings clearly being used for a military purpose may be engaged.

Civilian life must be protected (Hearts and minds)

Admin & Logistics

Equipment & Resupply:

At the commander’s control, assets are available at base to facilitate this.

Reinforcements:

Unlimited

At commanders discretion, transport assets are available.

You are now able to check everyone's role through the map and settings tab.

Command & Control

Command:

Overall command lays with codename "Overlord" who will set objectives and ROE.

Operational control on the ground lies with the Platoon Commander.

You are now able to check everyone's role through the map and settings tab.

Communication:

Radio channels are set for each element and can be viewed as part of the Diary accessible through the map . Platoon has limited discretion for change but structure is to be maintained.

CHADMarketing1.thumb.jpg.94aacb50a689d5cd68ef9eb7101f1c48.jpg

PMC Hell, my role: PLT
Zeus: @MidnightRunner
ISR: @SiegeSix
A @Ryko, B @Miksi, C @Jochem
VRT: @Gambit, @Norris

Thanks for this mission Midnight, it was rly fun even if tough for me.
With the benefit of hindsight, it might have been easier to stay in base as PLT because of hectic comms, but still glad I got to be in field.
Alternatively a FAC could have been helpful, since A, B, C, 2xVortex and ISR on top, make for a LOT of traffic.

Any feedback on my mess and what to improve will be appreciated.

Also an afterthough:
I believe it was Jochem, who mentioned that he didnt hear the info about objective location being discovered by ISR, since he can miss (filter out) any comms not mentioning his callsign.

It is true, that several times during this mission, I have opened comms with:
"Command to all elements...<message>"
I used this for objective being discovered by ISR (to redirect all teams to it) and also to call retreat and inform teams about fallback position (or lack of thereoff, once I believed Secondary was overrun).

I do not know, if this is acceptable radio form, or if it is better to use: "Alpha, Bravo, Charlie...<message>" to make callsigns notice better
Maybe Norris would have input to that.

PS: The whole miscommunication with Secondary Extraction being overrun kinda made the mission frustrating and even more fun at the same time, only Arma can give you moments like that.

1 hour ago, kman said:

"Command to all elements...<message>"

I do not know, if this is acceptable radio form, or if it is better to use: "Alpha, Bravo, Charlie...<message>" to make callsigns notice better

Honestly, I wouldn't start your message by saying *Your callsign - to ....*

In the heat of battle, if someone just hears command first on the radio, they might assume its someone calling for command. First call the elements that you are trying to call, then say who you are. That way it will immediately get their attention. I feel that's a better way to do it generally.

So rather than "Command to all elements" just say "All elements, this is command" or start off with a respective unit name.

Shit happens on comms and its something we're all constantly learning and getting better with, at least the op was for the most part a success.

1 hour ago, SiegeSix said:

ISR is fitted to help with this if needed

Curiously enough, it was almost other way around in this mission (IRS being extra load on comms instead of alleviating it).

If I were sitting in command tent with you, we could have done all comms between us in local chat. As it were, you were probably most active element on long range.

I also wasn't aware, that I can drop VORTEX handling on ISR role.

A lesson for future missions for sure, althou it would require, that two people coming to play are ok with spending the entire mission in the command tent.

Which is realistic, but you need to come expecting it.

PS: come to think of it, anyone played game called Radio Commander? I just heard about it, basicaly you apparently just "sit" at radio, receiving reports from units, giving them orders and then waiting how the shit goes down in next report.

I remember in the earlier days of Kunduz where the ISR would actually tune in to the SR channel of the independent squads, clearing long range of information that is really only applicable to say, one squad. I understand that was probably dropped due to it being inefficient to have to dial in a SR frequency for what could be an emergency message, but I think therefore you can strike a balance of:

• Important and Urgent messages from ISR can be communicated over long range
  • information that is relevant to all squads can be communicated on LR by ISR
  • Smaller details and none urgent messages can be communicated by dialling in to the SR of the squad the message is applicable to

at the end of the day, ISR is a valuable tool, but balance needs to be met when communicating that information across.

9 hours ago, kman said:

Curiously enough, it was almost other way around in this mission (IRS being extra load on comms instead of alleviating it).

When you're the only one that can see the threats, you need to inform the neccessary parties. Besides, I only have a radio and a satellite feed, not a gun to shoot stuff with.

9 hours ago, Xwatt said:

I remember in the earlier days of Kunduz where the ISR would actually tune in to the SR channel of the independent squads

Yes, sadly, you don't get the portable satellite anymore, so you're stuck in base, outside of SR range

9 hours ago, kman said:

I also wasn't aware, that I can drop VORTEX handling on ISR role.

This was the case with Kunduz, as the ISR could join the guys in the field. As we moved to Finland, it can feel ackward dropping it on ISR, since he's not with you, but ultimately, if Command doesn't feel he can handle Vortex and all infantry elements, then he can ask ISR to take over for the pilots, as he can find safe LZs, MANPADs, hidden shooters and such.

Again, every commander and every mission is different, but FAC and ISR was combined due to the lack of need for both. 

Vortex is pretty autonomus in regards of picking LZs, we just need information. Most of it is gathered by the transported infantry and listening on the squad channels (at least thats how i do it) i rarely ask pltco for an LZ. A FAC is more accessible to gather confirmation on the gathered info, or a more direct and quick update but in my opinion not 100% necessary. If we have one ,happy days, if the ISR is otherwise heavly tasked understandable that he cant handle FAC.

What i think contributes to information being ignored (conclusion from the long line of pltcos/sls so far) is when leading roles step into the fight. In my opinion the higher you are up the chain the more you have to remove yourself from the front line and focus on what is happening around you, shift the priority towards listening instead of dakka dakka away, spend time anticipating enemy positions and plan ahead accordingly, even plan the radio messages. Long, drawn out radio messages which clutter the plt channel comes from hasty reports, pressing the transmit button before knowing what to say. Trying to hit an enemy 300+ out who is ducking between cover and concealment sure makes ppl ignore radio chatter not to mention processing information, draws focus away from the big picture. In my opinion ISR being on plt net is beneficial, he has the most information. Even if the info is not specifically for you, if you are having some downtime, you can process that info and see how you can help out other teams and plan ahead, and avoid situations where a zsu rolls in on your flank and the whole squad is paniked because the info wasnt specifically prefixed with your squad's callsign and the squad who was protecting your flank was mowed down by it. This is the burden of a leadership role. Less pew pew more thinking. 

I have one more personal opinion about how the second half was handled. Invasion begun, half of the platoon gave up at that point, started joking around, while others were still out there. And the things i heard, "shut it down" "make it stop" then "i didnt get any action for 40 minutes now" while sitting at the new respawn point. I dont like that, but that is just me. What if we flip the situation, you are the ones out there, how would you lot feel about us leaving you there, instead of mounting an effort to get some action just sit and complain about not getting any action. Teamwork being praised, advertised, and when i heard those sentences i was disappointed. Storytime about your legendary death has its own time, after the mission is finished. Maybe its just me, but i think teamwork begins when you start caring.

The only thing I will add is the communication was very congested... and to your question kman there are very few places i know of that use command to all elements... usually radio protocol dictates that it goes YOU [Alpha] ME [Command] with the message being after this. Think of it like a verbal handshake. It takes a lot of practice to know what to say on the radio and how to say it. If you ADD a bunch of words like the movies or tv shows the message will be very long and maybe hard to digest. Before you press the PTT button think of what you want to say and then shorten it by filtering out non-essential words. Think of radio traffic like a precious metal, hard to come by and is extremely valuable...so you do not want to waste it with long drawn out conversations, especially when it could save someones or a squads life.  

Alpha this is Command. ISR has reported the location of the drone to be in north east of the forest and is currently having troops approach it from the east. That is a lot of info to digest with many filler words being put in.

Try, Alpha, Command. ISR marked drone on map, enemies approaching from the east. Short, simple and easy to digest even if you are in a firefight.

13 hours ago, Gambit said:

Even if the info is not specifically for you, if you are having some downtime, you can process that info and see how you can help out other teams and plan ahead, and avoid situations where a zsu rolls in on your flank and the whole squad is paniked because the info wasnt specifically prefixed with your squad's callsign and the squad who was protecting your flank was mowed down by it. This is the burden of a leadership role. Less pew pew more thinking.

This is important to remember.

On 8/28/2020 at 5:52 PM, Minipily said:

So rather than "Command to all elements" just say "All elements, this is command" or start off with a respective unit name.

Jochem specifically said he was listening for callouts for his particular callsign (Charlie?).