Sniper kit

Hi all,

Really sorry if this has already been covered, but today left me very confused regarding sniper weapons.

When they first came out I saved both sniper rifles into my kit load out.

The .50 cal has disappeared (I may have swapped rifles and saved, I'm not sure) and now I just get a message telling me that the .408 is a restricted item and will not load - even when I am playing as a sniper?!!  Someone else seemed to have the .408, so I am assuming that I am doing something wrong..?

Is this correct?

I completely understand restricting certain weapons to certain classes, but it seems snipers rifles have been restricted full stop - rendering the class pretty pointless.

On top of this, as no sniper rifles appear in the ammo boxes at all - if someone that has not played as a sniper before wants to play as a sniper, they will have to get someone to donate a rifle to them, presuming that anyone can actually access those rifles.

when the game went beta some classnames changed so your saved kit from alpha might not work anymore you'd have to create a new one

when you chose the sniper spot from the lobby you are spawned with a default sniper kit with the m320, the Lynx is an Opfor weapons so not available from the creates on the servers

there has also been a glitch the last few days where occasionaly you don't spawn first time with a sniper weapon if you return to lobby and join again you should get the weapon back

So there's been a bit of confusion over sniper availability recently and I've been working on I&A 3 so haven't been involved much in the mechanics of it. To explain, the main issue we face in co-operative games is everybody sitting on a hill shooting the enemy; it lacks variation, gets boring quickly and, if everyone's doing it, isn't all that fun.

Now in I&A 3 this is addressed in a totally different manner (which will be explained upon the first press release), but in I&A 2 the cleanest way to address the issue is to restrict certain weaponry. The way the system is supposed to work is that only those in the Sniper class can access sniper rifles and the easiest way to achieve that is to remove them from the ammunition boxes. Now, once again, this system will be entirely different in I&A 3, but for now -- without doing a complete overhaul of the ammo system -- that's how it'll have to work.

I realise that it's not ideal, but I would much rather spend my time creating an all-new, lag-free, optimised, planned I&A 3 than fixing minor issues in I&A 2. Also...

there has also been a glitch the last few days where occasionaly you don't spawn first time with a sniper weapon if you return to lobby and join again you should get the weapon back

That breaks the system a little bit, but there ain't much we can do about that! :)

To sum up:

• Only Snipers should have snipers
  • There are no snipers in the ammo boxes; Snipers spawn with snipers

So there's been a bit of confusion over sniper availability recently and I've been working on I&A 3 so haven't been involved much in the mechanics of it. To explain, the main issue we face in co-operative games is everybody sitting on a hill shooting the enemy; it lacks variation, gets boring quickly and, if everyone's doing it, isn't all that fun.

Now in I&A 3 this is addressed in a totally different manner (which will be explained upon the first press release), but in I&A 2 the cleanest way to address the issue is to restrict certain weaponry. The way the system is supposed to work is that only those in the Sniper class can access sniper rifles and the easiest way to achieve that is to remove them from the ammunition boxes. Now, once again, this system will be entirely different in I&A 3, but for now -- without doing a complete overhaul of the ammo system -- that's how it'll have to work.

I realise that it's not ideal, but I would much rather spend my time creating an all-new, lag-free, optimised, planned I&A 3 than fixing minor issues in I&A 2. Also...

That breaks the system a little bit, but there ain't much we can do about that! :)

To sum up:

• Only Snipers should have snipers
  • There are no snipers in the ammo boxes; Snipers spawn with snipers

Got it - thanks Rarek.

Someone did try to explain in game, but too much copter noise for me to hear.

Also when you spawn as a sniper you can't load either sniper from your saved loadouts. Say goodbye to sniping on AW servers guys.

WRONG!

you get a sniper rifle when you spawn in. Why would you need to change it to the same sniper rifle again? As I said in my other post, It really is not that hard to go to a box and plop on a backpack and then add a bunch more magazines to your inventory. A sniper shouldn't be carrying around a sachel, 15 grenades, blah blah blah.... Their job is long range support. If you are blowing up a radio tower as a sniper, you are not doing your job correctly.

So needing a premade loadout is not even necessary. Take the extra minute to grab more ammo.

I see more where this is leading from everyone who is pissed about it. It seems that people who are not in a sniper role are mad because they cannot get these weapons any longer. All I can say to that is ........ The system is working :)

WRONG!

you get a sniper rifle when you spawn in. Why would you need to change it to the same sniper rifle again? As I said in my other post, It really is not that hard to go to a box and plop on a backpack and then add a bunch more magazines to your inventory. A sniper shouldn't be carrying around a sachel, 15 grenades, blah blah blah.... Their job is long range support. If you are blowing up a radio tower as a sniper, you are not doing your job correctly.

So needing a premade loadout is not even necessary. Take the extra minute to grab more ammo.

I see more where this is leading from everyone who is pissed about it. It seems that people who are not in a sniper role are mad because they cannot get these weapons any longer. All I can say to that is ........ The system is working :)

Thanks Jester, but think you have missed the point - sniper weapons, that have been available to snipers, are no longer available to snipers, that's all.

Not sure where the rest of your thoughts come from, but I just wanted to know why, when I am a sniper, I cannot access the sniper weapons that I used to be able to.

Rarek's answer seems to have covered all points.

you get a sniper rifle when you spawn in. Why would you need to change it to the same sniper rifle again?

^^^^ that is my point.

You have one when you spawn in originally as well as after death and respawning. I do not see why not having them from a box is really an issue hence.....

It really is not that hard to go to a box and plop on a backpack and then add a bunch more magazines to your inventory.

^^^^ that is my point.

You have one when you spawn in originally as well as after death and respawning. I do not see why not having them from a box is really an issue hence.....

Lol - still missing the point.

In essence the question was simply "where have the sniper rifles gone?"

We know that we spawn with a sniper rifle, but wanted to know where the others, that we previously had access to, had gone.

Like I said, Rarek seems to have covered it, so the question can be closed

right, and i am sorry for going off your main question. My reply was more for xOderusUrungusX and his post rather then to your main question. Again, sorry for straying off there. (as you can see, I quoted his post before my response originally)