[Website suggestion] instant message chat box

GTOSID

Question

Just an idea i had which is basicly to have a instant message chat box on the website. 

reason for the suggestion is,

it could come in handy just for basic chitchat

could be used to quickly report a script kiddie etc. on the server for those who dont have teamspeak or a mic. instead of starting a new thread to report someone as iv seen a few of lately. and if there is no admin on ts but there is one roaming about on the website.

just think it be a handy thing to have.

Another random suggestion by,

GTOSID  :D

5 answers to this question

An interesting thought, this. We did once have a shout box up and about, but that was before the site was used enough to have enough content in there. We then had an equally not-at-all-used IRC server that people could use, though that went down pretty sharpish too.

Seeing as administrators are usually sat on TeamSpeak, I'd rather have all chat funnel into there as opposed to having two separate channels of instant chat going on. Ergo, the ideal solution would be to have a shoutbox-esque block that's hooked up to TeamSpeak chat. For that, we need a developer. :)

I may post this in the jobs board...

Just to throw a spanner in the works IP.board has an update that has an instant chat function or something that I read earlier :) That could possibly be linked in somehow?

IP.Chat's been around for years, though the chat servers have to be externally hosted by IPB, meaning there's a pay-per-month cost I'd rather avoid.

aah, they somehow managed to skip that in the release notes then xD I didn't look to much into it. It was more of a glancing look. 

Sod paying for instant chat though :P TS all the way!