What is AWE to you

What is AWE to you?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What is AWE to you?

• Strict limitations (faction based arsenal), with teamwork based gameplay
    • casual limitations (blue/red based arsenal), with teamwork based gameplay

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, GhostDragon said:

The tone here suggests I am biased and removes my credibility of this to be a valid result. All I can say is this poll will be closed at the end of this month. I like the discussion that is going on and feel it is useful.

Ps if I wanted to close when it went in favour of one or the other there has been ample opportunity to do that by now.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Forgive the tone is I sounded like I was calling you biased, I was not.

I was just suggesting ways to keep everything under an unbiased control, thanks for acknowledging that. 

16 hours ago, Miczils said:

As much as i'd like to say that strict limitations such as what @Johnson proposed would be great, i feel like some more casual players (myself, back when i joined AWE), may enjoy dress-up warfare and a lot of different gear available. Strict limitations would result in less of those players staying, and slowly getting into the more serious game play. And while i agree that a lot of the content in the mods is left unused, players can always use that gear, while the more casual ones can stick with their loadouts.

You need to remember that AWE is most likely not going to start with 20 players playing it 24/7, therefore it may have a positive impact to allow some more lenient restrictions, hopefully resulting in more casual players from EU1 and 2, trying AWE out, additionally some casual players may be overwhelmed by more restrictions.

To just make things a little more transparent:

Strict limitations would still technically have casual limitations included, as Johnson previously stated, there would also be a "NATO" or "OPFOR" or "GREENFOR" faction that would allow all weapons and equipment within that sector, and this could be a good starting point that would slowly bring the casual players of EU1 to a slightly more strict environment over time, at their own pace. We would never throw people into the deep end, the server at the end of the day is about having fun and we'd still 100% honour that by allowing this faction, and once the players are more comfortable they can be slowly brought into the slightly more strict environment so our forces would be united under one banner. This not only prevents possible teamkilling but also unites the teamplay so that two squads are not completely set apart in capabilities. 

I can understand the concern of starting player numbers and wishing to gather players from EU1, I believe that's the core point of the casual limitation vote. However, do not fear that strict limitations will strip player numbers. Our MSO used a strict limitation system and many of our players, at least 50% in fact were from EU1 and they still enjoyed themselves. Implementing strict limitations is not all about throwing one into the deep end, it is about slowly washing that mindset over them in their own time until they are comfortable with the play style of the server.

A time when strict limitations did have a bit more testing was during some of AWE's last game nights, and it was these game nights that revived the community of the server to a more healthy number. However, this was too little and too late to make a difference.

Don't feel pressured that I am trying to change your vote, I still honour your choice. I am just hoping to shed light on a few of your points from the other perspective.

1 hour ago, Minipily said:

I don't mind EU1 having the natural essence of players coming and going

once again,according to stats EU1# has a replay rate of over 40% - that means you see at least every 3rd player comin back related on their past experience they made.

doing as they please similar to joining a random server

this is what i m going at,EU1# is more than a "random server" to a greater audience than you might think.

At least every 2nd week i got some player coming back after months and years they last played on AHOY WORLD and once they filter for a mission they join AW´s EU servers according to the past experience they had. Far from random to me ...

I'm not slating EU1, it's a fun server but it's almost impossible to see the differences between that and the various other Invade and Annex servers people have to choose from. 

the difference is in the people,not the mission.

It seems we're still waiting on the I&A4 mission, I can't think of any other reason why AWE is so delayed.

All me and @Johnson want to do is revive the server in the communities best interest.

I dont know why you make it up to the release day of I+A 4.

why not setup a EU3# (AWE,Enhanced) version of I+A 3 that both you and Johnson edit and uphold/adapt according to the chosen way you see EU3# (AWE,Enhanced) and use that in the meantime untill 4 arrives.

You can also use that Stiletto thing or whatever mission you seem fit for a wider audience acceptable to play.

Why not use COOP missions from Armaholic that cater both to the community spirit and the enhanced gameplay and gun/mod variation you guys prefer ?

I might see this way to simplicistic than it actuallly is,but having something is better than having nothing at all.

After all,swapping and adjusting x amount of mods each time i join the same server is a part that kept me off modded servers.

I m sure alot of players do partly agree with me here.

Back in my days PLAYwithSIX was convinient,but also a  pain in the ass for less boradband people to keep up to date hence i up to this day prefer no modded missions that cater by using the vanilla content only to make great times.

Those missions do exist.

And oh yea,just so you are aware of - i havnt voted in that poll at all,why would i even ...

I remember back to my time here. Having the first-come-first-serve when it came to roles and a strict policy as to chain of command, I found it pleassant to have a group of people willing to abide by these and have fun. It creates that public commitment-free milsim that I personally love.

To your question, I always felt that having something BLUFOR specific was a must, since I remember a couple of times where someone would dress up as russians and get teamkilled.

If the server ever opens back up and with a newer version of Stiletto, I might consider coming back.

Seems best to have more options and ability to play as different factions. Seems better to have more freedom than to linit things too much especially if you want to attract more new players.
This is more an idea for the default state. This will not effect gamenights or things like that

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TheScar said:

once again,according to stats EU1# has a replay rate of over 40% - that means you see at least every 3rd player comin back related on their past experience they made.

this is what i m going at,EU1# is more than a "random server" to a greater audience than you might think.

At least every 2nd week i got some player coming back after months and years they last played on AHOY WORLD and once they filter for a mission they join AW´s EU servers according to the past experience they had. Far from random to me ...

the difference is in the people,not the mission.

why not setup a EU3# (AWE,Enhanced) version of I+A 3 that both you and Johnson edit and uphold/adapt according to the chosen way you see EU3# (AWE,Enhanced) and use that in the meantime untill 4 arrives.

You can also use that Stiletto thing or whatever mission you seem fit for a wider audience acceptable to play.

Why not use COOP missions from Armaholic that cater both to the community spirit and the enhanced gameplay and gun/mod variation you guys prefer ?

I might see this way to simplicistic than it actuallly is,but having something is better than having nothing at all.

After all,swapping and adjusting x amount of mods each time i join the same server is a part that kept me off modded servers.

I m sure alot of players do partly agree with me here.

Back in my days PLAYwithSIX was convinient,but also a  pain in the ass for less boradband people to keep up to date hence i up to this day prefer no modded missions that cater by using the vanilla content only to make great times.

Those missions do exist.

And oh yea,just so you are aware of - i havnt voted in that poll at all,why would i even ...

The replayability rate is great for EU1, but its the community behind it that im concerned about. I too used to play every day on EU1 pre EU3, but I didn't play for the community, I played because it was a server I was used to. This goes against the philosophy of what EU3 was, but if thats all people want to see the server as in the future, so be it.

It isn't my choice to wait for I&A4, if staff had made up their mind we'd have the mission up now, and myself and Johnson would have gladly taken mission development lead. However it's not our prerogative and it is my general understanding that what Ryko wanted, was the wait until his mission was done and used that across the board. If I'm mistaken in this line of thinking then okay I'm mistaken, but why is the server down?

If it was up to me personally, I'd use a simplified version of I&A with minimum script useage or work from scrap upon another mission template.

The mods will be kept simple, if it was up to me I would use ACE, ACRE/TFAR and RHS and leave it at that. Those 3 mods already provide you with hundreds of hours of fresh content, those 3 mods alone got me 3000+ hours out of the game and I'm still not bored. Mainly, because I know the best ways to utilize them, and that is not using everything all the time so that I get bored and throw the toys out the stroller.

And thank you, I didn't mean to insinuate that you had voted, I was just reiterating the points of outside players voting.

I'm not against you, and I'm not slating EU1. EU1 is a workhorse for AhoyWorld. I just feel that AWE and EU1 should be different things, and that AWE should be doing something fresh this time around.

6 hours ago, TheScar said:

You realise that EU1# is the horse that carrys AW and it has always been.

Stop talking BS about things you only see from your perspective.

I can assure you that no one is more aware of EU#1's importance as AW's flagship than myself and Mini, as we have known for years. We're not talking "BS" and we're not attacking EU#1, we're stating how EU#3 needs to be different. No offence, but the irony is that collectively we probably have more experience on EU#1 than yourself and undoubtedly more on EU#3. Again, no offence, but don't assume we're ignorant. We came from EU#1 too you know.

All i see is talk from you people.

The future of EU#3 is important and NEEDS to be discussed. I relate to your urgency, but if this isn't done right it will end the way it did once more.

First,you never gonna get everyone 100% happy - face it.

Couldn't agree more and it's what I've always said about EU#3. It's also the main reason I think a stricter mindset is a better way to go, since rather than attempt to appease everyone with a casual mindset, a stricter enforcement will be more likely to attract like-minded players. So "everyone" wont be happy, but almost everyone that's playing on the server would be.

Talk isnt gonna help,progression comes with time played

Again, can relate to you're urgency, but discussing how the community and the current players want the server to go is imperetive to keeping a good, fair community. Talking especially from experience. "This isn't a democracy." One of the worst AW quotes in my opinion.

Every day EU3# isnt up is another day you loose people looking for a modded,enhanced experience of Arma 3 they yet have one option less to choose from.

The secret is in numbers playing - find 1 or  better 2 days you can get 10-15 people together to seed the server and advertise them both on EU1# and AW facebook so people get the awareness.

Very very true, again, we couldn't agree more and I know that Minipily ESPECIALLY hates this fact. Plus he's been pressing for greater advertising for ages, the staff team are fully aware, including myself. Only the other day did myself and Ghost acknowledge that the YouTube channel could be span up again once EU#3 is back up and running.

It cant get worse,can it?

Another great point, "rock bottom" is what we specifically said. Again, something I've mentioned before and all the more reason I think we should go for a more specific playstyle.

Apologies if I'm overlapping with Mini's replies, I haven't yet had the time to read them. Thanks for your 2-cents, but please refrain from assuming anyone's experience on the matter. I know some of us are quite sensitive about it. Both EU#3 and EU#1 mean a lot to us all.

1 hour ago, Admiralbumfluff said:

Seems best to have more options and ability to play as different factions. Seems better to have more freedom than to linit things too much especially if you want to attract more new players.

Again, equal amounts of gear will be available, sometimes even more gear. Just not all at once, you'll have to try out the different factions to try out the different gear. It would be easily changeable in game.

3 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Again, equal amounts of gear will be available, sometimes even more gear. Just not all at once, you'll have to try out the different factions to try out the different gear. It would be easily changeable in game.

This.

Please all remember, you will still have ALL of the gear that you will get with casual limitations, just not all at once. This is good, because rather than be spoilt for choice you will get a chance to try everything in a longer timeframe. Meaning, you are less likely to get bored of the server feeling that you have "tried everything" in 10 minutes opposed to spending a longer time on the server to have a chance to try everything. This keeps the community together, and excited each restart for something NEW.

On the talk of gear, lest we forget.

AWE is not about gear.

AWE is about community and gameplay.

AWE should not revolve around "dress-up warfare." It should revolve around the specific gameplay, teamwork, communication and orchestration of how things are done. I know I may contridict my point about "AWE does not exist, it does not have a preset method" but, dare I say, this method is the most original and the pillar of all things great that the server thrived on and was built upon.

So please, remember. Gear is secondary, gameplay is primary! Please don't see the server as just a quick "5 minute dress up warfare AO" and instead see it as a "long term, large scale fight based upon tactics and communication." See it this way because it is different and challenging, not simple and boring. I believe I speak for everyone when I say that we'd like to see the server last.

3 hours ago, TheScar said:

Good for a public server, but don't forget that the server has lost a lot of players compared to what it used to have. That's my greater concern of AW. There are benefits of a lower replay value also, such as constantly getting new players in that could be looking for an EU#3 experience.

Oh take my word for it that if it was down to me there would be a variety of stuff we could be running. There's a reason we retreated to EU#6 MSO for a while; to keep playing modded Arma. I imagine the CoreStaff have their own say in the matter, but I believe keeping the server up has been suggested and defiantly discussed either inside or outside staff.

Another reason discussion is imperative. After all, I know that, among others, myself and Minipily were spearheadding the idea of a simplistic modpack. My original suggestion being nothing but ACE and TFAR.

22 hours ago, Minipily said:

It would be nice also, if there was an option to see who has voted.

Unsuprisingly I voted for a strict arsenal.

Reasons: Immersion, as I always have been crusading for that. (Though I don`t have that much of a problem with people using non-faction weapons. For me the main part is uniforms)

Back in the day I spent most of my gametime on AWE/EU#3, and it is one of the servers I've enjoyed the most, in all of the games I've played. As most others here, I came to AW for EU#1, but stayed for EU#3. Thanks to the forced teamplay I felt more involved in the mission, it was not just me firing at some enemy soldiers, it was a whole operation with different people in different roles working together to achive a common goal. The forced teamplay pushed me a little out of my comfort zone, which in turn made playing much more enjoyable. It also made me interact more with the community, which in the end is why I've spent most of my Arma hours on AW servers.

After I started at uni three years ago, I haven't been able to play as often as I used to do. But when I had the time, I would always jump on EU#3 to see if there were anyone on. It saddens me to see that the server has died out, and I hope that a fresh start will bring AWE/EU#3 back to its former glory.

That beeing said, I sadly will not be able to play for the next year, as I'm going on exchange and leaving my computer at home. But  I'm looking forward to see what will become of AWE.

In regards to this discussion I voted for the strict relations, as I feel like it is the option that enforces teamplay the most. 

7 minutes ago, Vlk said:

What was the reason server ended? Economics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe there is a post about it called "The Future of AWE"

In a nutshell, the server was shut down because the community had all but wittled away and with no activity, there was no reason to keep the server up. If there was any economical reason behind it then I'm not sure about that, as I was under the belief that EU3/AWE was also running off the flagship server that EU1 and 2 is running off.

Hope that gives some insight.

The reasons that the server closed were purely for the reason that the gameplay experiance was not enjoyable for the community so we decided that the server was better to be closed and re-evaluated when we had time to organise and clean the modset to better represent the community!

We had reports that the server was being used in a way that meant people were not looking forward to playing on it and had reports that people would join and then leave because they couldnt use the equiptment or enjoy their gameplay playing on the server when they choose to.

1 minute ago, Vlk said:

Okey. There is enough ppl here who are engaged in discussion so maybe open the server and see what happens

Indeed, I am pleasantly surprised at how many people have come together to discuss. Keep this up and we'll have our community back.

I think really, before we go throwing the server back up, its best that a direction is set out. Success comes through planning, and it is exactly that which is needed to prevent what happened in the first place, the server becoming stale and dying.

Here's hoping everything works out well!

Concidering how even the polls are, it might be worth concidering the original "Factions" idea; the same idea proposed in this poll.

I can see both sides being happy if there is both a wide variety of "strict" factions (Serbian Armed Forces, US Marines, US Army, MARSOC, Rangers, Russian MSV, Russian VDV, Russian Spetsnaz, etc. etc.) , but then also generic "Casual" factions (BLUFOR, OPFOR, GREFOR).

These could all be interchangeable in game, so if most players wish to switch to a specific faction, they can, and vise versa. Those who may remember the Stiletto faction system could see how easilly this could work.

While I am a fan of more restricted faction-specific scenarios, I think that this should be purely reserved for dedicated operation nights as mentioned by @MidnightRunner

#EU1 is evidence that having a more open arsenal will add more replay value to the mission allowing players to group up and play as the fighting force of their choice.

As AWE would be readily open to public players, I think that this would be the better option.

Regardless of which option is picked, it will take time to build up the player count.

On 6/25/2019 at 11:25 PM, Johnson said:

Concidering how even the polls are, it might be worth concidering the original "Factions" idea; the same idea proposed in this poll.

I can see both sides being happy if there is both a wide variety of "strict" factions (Serbian Armed Forces, US Marines, US Army, MARSOC, Rangers, Russian MSV, Russian VDV, Russian Spetsnaz, etc. etc.) , but then also generic "Casual" factions (BLUFOR, OPFOR, GREFOR).

These could all be interchangeable in game, so if most players wish to switch to a specific faction, they can, and vise versa. Those who may remember the Stiletto faction system could see how easilly this could work.

I agree with Johnson on this. It would basically cover both options, and the players would be able to choose what map and what faction to play. It's interesting to see the poll so even.

And it's great to see this many people casting a vote and discussing the options.

Thank you to everyone who took part in this vote, it's humbling to see the community come back together to express their views with so much passion for what they believe is right.

Thanks GhostDragon for hosting the vote, it's good to see a big step taken forward in the evolution of AWE.

Very much looking forward to being able to play again! Apart from the occasional MSO, I am extremely starved of some good ArmA III Modded Gameplay.

P.S: From the looks of it, Strict Limitations has won the poll.

Do not feel disheartened if you voted for Casual Limitations, as myself and Johnson could not state enough, Strict Limitations IS STILL Casual Limitations but with the additional bonus of having the flexibility to play under Strict Guidelines when the time arises. If this change is implemented properly, you will still have Blufor, Opfor and Greenfor factions with all equipment in that sector free, these factions can be chosen at times when a majority of players wish for that additional freedom and may also be a good starting point if players are skeptical about joining.

Either way, Strict Limitations in my humblest opinion is by far the best way to go, it's better to make everyone with that mindset happy rather than 50% of the community happy, and even then, those without the mindset have the open factions until they start coming around.

Again, looking forward to the revival of AWE and cannot wait until the next update, I sincerely hope all the staff come together to get it all planned out and get development underway as soon as possible.

For me AWE is teamwork, setting up the execution of the mission and having fun.

I remember some Friday’s there was custom missions with limited slots, everyone had a job to do and one goal, do the mission. With good communication and everyone playing their role it was some of the best times I had with Arma,

I really hope that I will experience this again in the Ahoy community soon.

• Xwatt unfeatured and unpinned this topic