Due to how the server is set up...

ansin11

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg

kickTimeout[] = { {0, -1}, {1, 180}, {2, 180}, {3, 180} };

kickTimeout[] = { {kickID, timeout}, ... };
kickID (type to determine from where the kick originated e.g. admin or votekick etc.)

• 0 - manual kick (vote kick, admin kick, bruteforce detection etc.)
  • 1 - connectivity kick (ping, timeout, packetloss, desync)
  • 2 - BattlEye kick
  • 3 - harmless kick (wrong addons, steam timeout or checks, signatures, content etc.)

timeout = in seconds how long until kicked player can return

• >0 seconds
  • -1 until missionEnd
  • -2 until serverRestart

Some of them are questionable; I joined the server, loaded the  mission, Alt + Tabed out for a second, Arma became unresponsive as it sometimes does when I Alt + Tab from it, I killed it from the Task Manager, started it back up again aaaaaaaand couldn't connect to the server until five minutes had passed. What's the benefit of that? I don't know.

Some of them are questionable; I joined the server, loaded the  mission, Alt + Tabed out for a second, Arma became unresponsive as it sometimes does when I Alt + Tab from it, I killed it from the Task Manager, started it back up again aaaaaaaand couldn't connect to the server until five minutes had passed. What's the benefit of that? I don't know.
Clearly it has the unintended benefit of winding you up!

But i might have a look depending public opinion we might revise the the values.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

kickTimeout[] = {{0, 30}, {1, 1}, {2, 120}, {3, 1}};

0 - Sometimes you just need to kick a player from a slot he was failing to use properly, also, ban / timeout times should be determined by staff, not by a generic hardcoded value.

1 - Why prevent people who've lost connection from rejoining as fast as they can???

2 - I'm assuming this only includes people who have been listed by BattlEye.

3 - Same as 1.

The point is, unless I'm a regular, I won't bother waiting to join / rejoin a server that gives me an automated timeout for reasons I most likely have had no influence on.

The main thing this creates is just systemChat spam and frustated players trying to figure out what they did wrong in order to deserve the very helpful error message "Due to how the server is set up...".

Sounds like a good way to continually lose some (potential) server population.

Apart from maybe 2, depending on what it actually is, I only see negative effects for EU#1 coming from using the current values.

kickTimeout[] = {{0, 30}, {1, 1}, {2, 120}, {3, 1}};

0 - Sometimes you just need to kick a player from a slot he was failing to use properly, also, ban / timeout times should be determined by staff, not by a generic hardcoded value.
1 - Why prevent people who've lost connection from rejoining as fast as they can???
2 - I'm assuming this only includes people who have been listed by BattlEye.
3 - Same as 1.

The point is, unless I'm a regular, I won't bother waiting to join / rejoin a server that gives me an automated timeout for reasons I most likely have had no influence on.
The main thing this creates is just systemChat spam and frustated players trying to figure out what they did wrong in order to deserve the very helpful error message "Due to how the server is set up...".
Sounds like a good way to continually lose some (potential) server population.
Apart from maybe 2, depending on what it actually is, I only see negative effects for EU#1 coming from using the current values.

Funny, to say you are the only one I have heard complaints from and you don't actually know what values we have!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

We have seen instances where a player is somehow rejoining automatically, and being disconnected automatically, presumably because they have a mod enabled that we don't allow.  So speaking of systemChat spam, that's a great example of how the kickTimeout rules are actually effective as it stops that player from wasting system resources to handshake a connection.

I'm personally in favour of removing the -1 active kick timeout, as I don't believe it's our intention to implement a tempban of up to 24 hours when a person is manually kicked.  However, I think if an admin issues a kick, there's probably a reason for it, so I don't think it's inappropriate to make that five or ten minutes.

I do wish BI could segregate between a manual kick and bruteforce detection, as those are different scenarios IMO.