[EU#2] Operation: Molten Avalanche - Saturday 11/5 1900 UTC

Mouldy

Event Date: 2019/05/11

Event Time: 1900 UTC

Mission Name: Operation Molten Avalanche

Brief Summary: NATO survivors struggle to survive and escape a CSAT Search and Destroy party on Malden to warn the world of a new superweapon.

Player slots: 4 BLUFOR, 12 OPFOR

Expected Mission Length: 30-45 minutes

Mods required: Vanilla

Server slots: 19

Scroll to the bottom of this post for signup information!

Operation: Molten Avalanche
Operational briefing, only for class-3 clearance and above.

Situation

It has been 72 hours since the last contact with the NATO base on Malden was made, so far nothing has come through our encrypted channels. It is safe to assume the base has either been destroyed or the island is experiencing electronic interference. Satellites have observed a spike in nuclear radiation as a spike in unknown chemical compounds on Malden. Imaging has also shown a complete lack of any and all civilian activity in any of the towns surrounding the airfield, making this an even stranger situation.

The recommended course of action: Observe and continue attempts to re-establish contact with ground forces

The mission

Play as either NATO or CSAT set in the aftermath of an island-wide experiment apparently conducted by CSAT, killing all civilian population and almost all the staff of the NATO airbase on the island. Fight either as the remaining NATO operatives to escape the island and re-establish contact with NATO command or as the CSAT teams that have been deployed to make sure nobody gets out alive. Each side has its own advantages that can be either circumvented or turned against them in this war of attrition where every bullet and death has an impact that will echo throughout the mission.

Objectives

NATO

• Escape Malden by any means necessary
  • Destroy the AA battery on the airfield preventing air assets from being used
  • Destroy any compromised NATO assets

CSAT

• Search and destroy NATO operatives active on Malden
  • Ensure the safety of AA battery to keep NATO on the ground

Practical info

• The mission itself has additional mission details that could aid in your mission, make sure to read them if you have time.
  • Every side has limited ammunition and no respawns are possible.
  • Operation time: 03:30+- local time
  • Weather forecast: Heavy winds and rain approaching, possible thunderstorms as well
  • Whilst the airfield would be the main avenue of escape, additional escape routes are possible.
  • ZEUS will be active and will monitor the mission, possibly interfering if a stalemate occurs
  • Forecasted mission length: 30 to 45 minutes, may take longer.
  • Victory for either side and completion of side objectives have a direct and noticeable impact on future missions in the Armageddon campaign

Rules of Engagement

NATO

• All assets and infantry belonging to CSAT are deemed enemy and can be fired upon
  • All NATO/AAF assets are not to be engaged unless mission specifies otherwise

CSAT

• All NATO infantry is to be engaged on sight
  • All NATO/AAF assets are to be left alone unless a NATO operative is actively piloting them
  • Compromised equipment is to be either recovered or destroyed

Event Information

NATO slots: 4

CSAT slots: 12

If you have APEX DLC, please choose that option if signing up for CSAT, as it is required for some slots.  If those slots are filled, you will still be eligible to be placed in normal CSAT roles.

Teamspeak is recommended for better communication!

Signup here: https://forms.gle/GR1GeSRYGaySz9Cj6

18 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Player slots: 6 BLUFOR, 12 OPFOR

the signup form suggests that the OP lacks certain math skills ...

“Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your shoes.”   - Mickey Mouse

?

That being said,i m tempted to sign up for the brave army of the motherland to clear of Malden from the presence of those infidel pigs and i m looking forward

to trade bullets with some of the gentleman on here in a 1life manhunt ...

Vanilla i assume?

Go Go Go CCCP!

*reloads AK*

?

5 hours ago, TheScar said:

the signup form suggests that the OP lacks certain math skills ...

?

That being said,i m tempted to sign up for the brave army of the motherland to clear of Malden from the presence of those infidel pigs and i m looking forward

to trade bullets with some of the gentleman on here in a 1life manhunt ...

Vanilla i assume?

Go Go Go CCCP!

*reloads AK*

?

If you're referring to discrepancy between slot count and player count, extra slots are present for Zues and Staff. There are only 4 BLUFOR spots.

I suppose I could join, sounds interesting.

I saw that "APEX REQUIRED" message for CSAT so I'm assuming that some members will be CSAT, in that case, I'll swim home.

Suppose I'm interested in NATO but if those slots are taken I suppose I'll go CSAT and put Mr "$20 trillion dollars in Debt" back in his place.

I also see that CSAT is killing the population? I've been playing a mission recently where CSAT have also been doing that, I have no idea where people have been getting the idea that CSAT kill civilians though haha.

15 hours ago, Minipily said:

I also see that CSAT is killing the population? I've been playing a mission recently where CSAT have also been doing that, I have no idea where people have been getting the idea that CSAT kill civilians though haha.

I'd guess from the IDAP-campaign-mission ('The Redacted') where you are playing as CSAT and call in an Airstrike on Oreokastro even though there are still non-combatants in the city. Though it is left open wether it actually were CSAT special-forces or NATOs CTRG but since you played the whole time only as CSAT people tend to associate only them with the airstrike.?

9 hours ago, Noah_Hero said:

I'd guess from the IDAP-campaign-mission ('The Redacted') where you are playing as CSAT and call in an Airstrike on Oreokastro even though there are still non-combatants in the city. Though it is left open wether it actually were CSAT special-forces or NATOs CTRG but since you played the whole time only as CSAT people tend to associate only them with the airstrike.?

That one's up for debate really. I believe NATO had been involved or at least had CSAT do the work for them.

Overall, CSAT are actually pretty good and NATO have done just as much perhaps even worse than them, certainly up there with the AAF.

Just surprised as to why some many people view CSAT as the "baddies" :V

On 5/6/2019 at 8:31 PM, Minipily said:

Plot intensifying

On 5/9/2019 at 1:17 PM, Walk'N said:

May we join after the beginning of the mission (like 2100UTC) ?
If so, I'll may join...

Drop ins aren't possible/aren't balanced due to how the mission is set up

• Mouldy unfeatured this topic
26 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Mission results: 2x NATO escapes, Falcon & AA destroyed, all CSAT neutralized. Well done, everyone!

Alright, I hope both sides had fun. Do let me know if you have feedback so I can improve further missions.

With these results expect a new campaign mission with NATO taking the lead!

Tonight was pretty fun but a fair few of us have some suggestions. Personally, for me:

- Scrap Viper since it's quite overkill and keeping everyone unified under one Squad is much more suitable.

- Disallow the use of TeamSpeak during operation (until you're dead) and use the in game chat/radio instead.

- Start the mission earlier in the night so we get to fight at night more. It was day too fast.

- Group size should be bigger and even, maybe 8vs8, since we think it would be balanced either way.
- Allowing HUD for firemode (but no crosshairs)
- Siding towards a more conventional vs. conventional settup, rather than special forces.
- Rules against abuse of vehicles (such as running people over) and maybe mines (like placing them on BLUFOR vehicles or something).

I'm sure more suggestions will come up but currently that's all that comes to our minds.

10 hours ago, Johnson said:

Tonight was pretty fun but a fair few of us have some suggestions. Personally, for me:

- Scrap Viper since it's quite overkill and keeping everyone unified under one Squad is much more suitable.

I cannot guarantee that this is the last time we see special forces, but ill keep it in mind.

- Disallow the use of TeamSpeak during operation (until you're dead) and use the in game chat/radio instead.

Not really sure what the advantages are from this, if you ever want to clarify that please do.

- Start the mission earlier in the night so we get to fight at night more. It was day too fast.

Noted.

- Group size should be bigger and even, maybe 8vs8, since we think it would be balanced either way.

It made more sense for uneven squads during this mission, but the upcoming missions will be more even in the player count

- Allowing HUD for firemode (but no crosshairs).
- Siding towards a more conventional vs. conventional settup, rather than special forces.
- Rules against abuse of vehicles (such as running people over) and maybe mines (like placing them on BLUFOR vehicles or something).

I'm sure more suggestions will come up but currently that's all that comes to our minds.

Ill be sure to try to keep that in mind when designing the next mission

Edited by Aegis_RVIR
unfinished

I think there was some confusion about how best to use teamspeak and in-game chat for comms, rather than anything inherently wrong with using TS.

TS was good for post-death spectating chat, and for when the mission was over. I think it made things a bit murky for during the mission solely because there wasn't a good plan about how it was going to be used and the system used was a bit rushed/not fully thought through, to the detriment of some peoples' experiences. A teething issue. I think Johnson's idea to disallow TS is a bit of a kneejerk reaction that doesn't solve the exact problem... but at the same time, if we'd stuck with vanilla in game comms we would have had an adequate experience despite it not being ACE. Group chat and side chat would have been enough. I would suggest turning voice off on Global, just so people can't accidentally misbroadcast to EVERYONE on there...

I really liked the premise of the mission. A bit gutted that CSAT did not prevail, I think mostly due to comm issues. I would have appreciated some way of telling how far away something was though - no rangefinder and the T-bars on my telescopic sight don't work unless someone is standing still so I can measure the width of their shoulders...

I would have preferred a rangefinder over having thermal vision. It would have made spotting NATO harder (I was the first to have eyes on) but easier to understand where they actually were...

Mission overran in length. NATO were the only side that had to actually travel anywhere in particular. They moved very carefully (crawling hundreds of metres at one point), of course, so the fact they had to traverse (how many) kilometers meant things took a long time.

I enjoyed it though, but my lack of situational awareness needs some working at... I'm up for Rd. 2!