[Suggestion] OPFOR Players

Yay or Nay  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Yay or Nay?

• Yay!
    • Nay!

Just after a little chat with a few guys on teamspeak i thought this would be a suggestion to put forward.

What about adding maybe 2-5 OPFOR player slots for say a small amount of (maybe ts only) guys to plant mines, traps and such like to cause the BLUEFOR more hassle and such like... Maybe include a system like the old ArmA2 Insurgency where they click on an opfor unit on map to spawn as them (to save AO moving hassle) and then from there they can move and position etc... They could go AT blow helicopters, hunters etc.. Plant mines, claymors etc.. 

What do you guys think? 

I love the thought of this idea.

If implemented correctly this feature would not only add a higher level of 'randomness' and difficulty to the missions, but also make the mission more interesting in the long term. The first part of the sentence is important though- a feature like this would probably requre some serious limitation and balance testing. Without restrictions I can easily imagine 2-3 great players absolutely devastating a huge group of blues, taking away from the over all experience. Added challenge is fun, but being sniped 14 times in a row from 1200m -not so much!

I love the thought of this idea. If implemented correctly this feature would not only add a higher level of 'randomness' and difficulty to the missions, but also make the mission more interesting in the long term. The first part of the sentence is important though- a feature like this would probably requre some serious limitation and balance testing. Without restrictions I can easily imagine 2-3 great players absolutely devastating a huge group of blues, taking away from the over all experience. Added challenge is fun, but being sniped 14 times in a row from 1200m -not so much!

Yeah i do agree! However OPFOR and BLUEFOR will have even fire power i guess? So this means that generally BLUEFOR will be on the advantage but it'd be something that would have to be tested etc.

I think we would have to give the opfor a very limited advantage.  with some OPFOR that can actually use AA the ramped up difficulty will be pretty good.  I think the problem would be respawn.  Since you could respawn and then instantly have an AA position back up :P

I think we would have to give the opfor a very limited advantage.  with some OPFOR that can actually use AA the ramped up difficulty will be pretty good.  I think the problem would be respawn.  Since you could respawn and then instantly have an AA position back up :P

I suggest we implement respawn penalties. Ie if you repawn, you have to wait like 2 minutes before actually spawning. That goes for everyone. If you cant wait for a medic to revive you...you still have to wait. As an extension: TK, Destruction of civilian buildings (for BLUEFOR) etc...add more time to the timer.

Another way to implement penalties: Reduce possible carrying weight. Every time you respawn to get more AA, the less you can bring with you. (add timer, if you don't respawn in a certain amount of time you'll get back carrying capacity. If you respawn before timer runs out, the timer is reset and you can carry even less)

I suggest we implement respawn penalties. Ie if you repawn, you have to wait like 2 minutes before actually spawning. That goes for everyone. If you cant wait for a medic to revive you...you still have to wait. As an extension: TK, Destruction of civilian buildings (for BLUEFOR) etc...add more time to the timer.

Another way to implement penalties: Reduce possible carrying weight. Every time you respawn to get more AA, the less you can bring with you. (add timer, if you don't respawn in a certain amount of time you'll get back carrying capacity. If you respawn before timer runs out, the timer is reset and you can carry even less)

I like the respawn penalties! It sucks to be a medic and run 200mts to heal someone and see them respawn when you are 10mts from them.

I think this could be an awesome feature to add to the map, however it needs balance as others have suggested.  The best way I can see this working is to have a flag or other item in game that opens and action menu allowing certain pre-defined players to switch to opfor.  The respawn by clicking on a unit seems like an excellent idea, I don't think we really need to change much about the composition of opfor if we limit who can play as them - this should ensure those who are able to join opfor aren't looking to 'game' the system or use exploits to ruin the experience of blufor players.

Though the idea appears rather simple, its implementation would be tricky and, as some of you have already spoken about, balance would be the major issue.

I encourage you to continue discussing the idea, but don't expect this feature to appear anytime soon. It would be more of a long-term objective than a quick minor release.

• 2 weeks later...

I have actually done some of this for you Rarek (older version probably). I have already split the dialogue boxes between side east/west, so that different pop-ups appear for either side. on my edit I have 8 Opfor  vs 40 Blufor, just to make life interesting. I also added opfor to pilotcheck.sqf, in order to allow the theft of side mission rewards. I would suggest if you were to implement this, only allow those who earned the chance to take the opfor slots (beyond my current capabilities), or make them purchase the opportunity via the coins.

Here is my files with those changes:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zx5fg6at6d45g94/Invade_and_Annex_MP.Stratis.7z

added: you may get an error that cannot find "addons\teams\teams_init.sqf". I am still working on this, but I removed the files for now (glitch). Just ignore the error for the time being.

In terms of balancing, we can take a page of out insurgency's book:

- OPFOR players have a limited amount of weaponry available

- OPFOR players do not have vehicles apart from unarmed off-road jeeps / speed-boats to travel around

- OPFOR players have a limited amount of lives before they are kicked from the spot to allow another player a chance to play

- OPFOR players cannot get within [x] distance of BLUFOR base

- OPFOR players' base cannot be near any any AO locations

The OPFOR slots would simply serve as a 'hindrance' to BLUFOR, placing mines along well-travelled routes, shooting down AIR units.

The above rule-set would ensure balance, however does not fit in with the current INVADE and ANNEX mission mindset - it's more of an insurgent tactic more reserved for perhaps the mission I suggested (Patrol & Secure). Domination was never made to have PVP elements, it was simply a cooperative territory capture mission; and as Invade and Annex is modelled on that type of gameplay, it doesn't make a lot of sense to include OPFOR players, as much fun as it may seem. 

I don't mean to seem overly negative about the idea, I'd enjoy camping on a hill shooting at a BLUFOR advance as much as the next guy, but for the current Invade & Annex mission, it wouldn't feel right in my honest opinion.

That said, I may or may not have made a start on the groundwork for Patrol & Secure tonight. ;-)

- omnomnoms

The above rule-set would ensure balance, however does not fit in with the current INVADE and ANNEX mission mindset - it's more of an insurgent tactic more reserved for perhaps the mission I suggested (Patrol & Secure). Domination was never made to have PVP elements, it was simply a cooperative territory capture mission; and as Invade and Annex is modelled on that type of gameplay, it doesn't make a lot of sense to include OPFOR players, as much fun as it may seem.

I agree with what Noms says on this, adding OPFOR as the mission currently is would be more likely to degrade the experience of the BLUFOR players rather than adding to their experience.  I did however have an idea, what about an OPFOR commander?  Someone who can issue orders to AI squads to generate more of a tactical element to OPFOR.  As it is at the moment they just generally mill about in the AO rather than take up strategic positions or react in a realistic manner to BLUFOR attacks.

I agree with what Noms says on this, adding OPFOR as the mission currently is would be more likely to degrade the experience of the BLUFOR players rather than adding to their experience.  I did however have an idea, what about an OPFOR commander?  Someone who can issue orders to AI squads to generate more of a tactical element to OPFOR.  As it is at the moment they just generally mill about in the AO rather than take up strategic positions or react in a realistic manner to BLUFOR attacks.

That would be good! :D

That is an awesome idea, would love to see it tested.

I too think this is a great idea, it will make the game much much more interesting

Just after a little chat with a few guys on teamspeak i thought this would be a suggestion to put forward.

What about adding maybe 2-5 OPFOR player slots for say a small amount of (maybe ts only) guys to plant mines, traps and such like to cause the BLUEFOR more hassle and such like... Maybe include a system like the old ArmA2 Insurgency where they click on an opfor unit on map to spawn as them (to save AO moving hassle) and then from there they can move and position etc... They could go AT blow helicopters, hunters etc.. Plant mines, claymors etc.. 

What do you guys think? 

It would turn into a giant trolling fest probably.

What do you guys think? 

I think this could be scripted in to the mission so that there were mine in roads and in open areas around AOs.

I'm all in favour of some human enemy involvement in due course. Perhaps any such missions can be used for Tactical testing behind a password before any such free for all occupation.