I&A 4 Beta Test Feedback

Ryko

All in all its really well rounded. You've done a great job in forcing gameplay to be dynamic even though I fking hate the fact that I now get banzai'd by tanks when sitting on hills, but I deserve that I guess.

The compass is a great feature since it is the main reason people would install shacktac, now it isn't really necessary, although is there any way the compass can be moved? I'm thinking no but eh, worth a shot to see if it is possible, I just dislike the top centre. 

You do good. Just do gooder as I want to see it on EU3 :)

54 minutes ago, McKillen said:

The compass is a great feature since it is the main reason people would install shacktac, now it isn't really necessary, although is there any way the compass can be moved? I'm thinking no but eh, worth a shot to see if it is possible, I just dislike the top centre. 

Right now, you can turn it on or off in the IA4 keybinds segment... I don't want to mess too much with UI.

11 hours ago, Stanhope said:

6.5 tracers mags as well as 6.5 regular khaki mags are not showing up in the arsenal for the black MX.

Or any MX, for that matter. I'm creating the magazines list by parsing the config files for each weapon available to the faction, and in the case of the MX, it's one choice:

magazines[] = {"30Rnd_65x39_caseless_mag"};

I think what's happened here is the MX rifle was set up on release, and hasn't been updated on APEX and other expansions which introduced additional magazine types.  Which means I have to add them all manually...

11 hours ago, Stanhope said:

Tactical backpacks and bergens are not showing up in the arsenal

These and others, added in next version

Feedbach from 03.05.2019:

-Got into a APC, could not switch to driver or gunner. When i left with Z was kicked out of the server (Battle eye) with SetPos Count Restriction

- got in and out of zeus menue and lost a lot of function from achilles mod. got out and in again witch restored all functions ?

- placed a CSAT Scuad and got kicked (AddMagazineCargo Count Restriction) (had to restart the game to enter again)

1 hour ago, Geb said:

Got into a APC, could not switch to driver or gunner.

This is when you remote controlled the APC, yes?  I think Achilles has a function to let you select the driver or gunner, vanilla zeus puts you in the commander position by default (unless someone knows a sneaky way to control the gunner/driver)

Just now, Ryko said:

This is when you remote controlled the APC, yes?  I think Achilles has a function to let you select the driver or gunner, vanilla zeus puts you in the commander position by default (unless someone knows a sneaky way to control the gunner/driver)

yes, but i could not switch to gunner or driver

22 hours ago, Geb said:

yes, but i could not switch to gunner or driver

If you mean with scroll wheel, this is because im assuming the tank full is crew meaning there is an AI in the gunner seat which means you cant change seat with the controlled AI since the seat is full. To change seat you would have to leave controll then enter it as the gunner.

22 hours ago, Ryko said:

(unless someone knows a sneaky way to control the gunner/driver)

Click on the vehicle circle in the world, it should bring up the vehicles member list in the unit list on the side, then click on the gunner/driver icon in said list which will highlight him in the world allowing you to control him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

had lots of fun playing as CSAT Today.

* the "redeploy to CAS Area" action teleported me to the bottom  left of the map

* if you have the map open while purchasing a para drop it doesn't work

* Light Anti Tank role had access to the vorona (not sure if that is supposed to be, but doesn't sound very "light" to me)

• 5 weeks later...

Some errors from last night:

Spoiler

21:30:05 Error in expression <count crew vehicle player < 2} ) then
{    _vehicle engineOn false; };
};
};

addPa>
21:30:05   Error position: <_vehicle engineOn false; };
};
};

addPa>
21:30:05   Error Undefined variable in expression: _vehicle
21:30:05 File mpmissions\__CUR_MP.Altis\scripts\vehicle\vehicleFunctions.sqf..., line 158

///////////////

21:49:56 Trying to execute a disabled command 'createvehiclelocal' (2 args)
21:49:56 Error in expression <r;     

_smokeg = "SmokeShellVehicle" createVehicleLocal [0,0,0];
_smokeg setP>
21:49:56   Error position: <createVehicleLocal [0,0,0];
_smokeg setP>
21:49:56   Error Generic error in expression
21:49:56 File A3\functions_f\Effects\fn_effectFiredSmokeLauncher.sqf [BIS_fnc_..., line 52

Using Zeus needs some polishing.

Not a fan of Zeus's being unable to do anything but Zeus when in the slot and being unable to use Zeus without messing in the "u" menu when in different slots.

I know there is that thing that kicks Zeus's in I&A3 but I prefer it's simplicity. This is much too locked down and difficult to do anything with. Case in point, I made a thing in Zeus, left Zeus to deal with something. Boom. It's all no-longer in my Zeus menu.

For some reason the admin tools are in the u menu ?? No idea why as scroll wheel makes so much more sense. It's easier to activate and allows you to still be in the game whilst doing admin stuff.

Back to the Zeus slots. What if we want to play but have to do admin or zeus things ? There is no provision for that as you cannot play whilst in one of those slots. AI can't see you, you don't show on map.

I honestly think 4 is over complicated far too locked down to be any fun. This kind of restriction is what you get on the MSO or game night missions when they have a purpose and a set objective.

I'm sorry to be such a Negative Nancy but there are so many issues and so many needlessly complicated bits of it that if 4 ever does go live it will make it so much less fun to play and less engaging for an audience that is not a bunch of dudes into their paperwork. Our playerbase and our appeal to a large base of the ArmA players is that we are NOT 77th JSOC. If I wanted to play like that I would go to their server.

I've been generally quiet when it has come to giving my opinions about I&A4, but I think now is the time I adress certain things. I want to start by saying that I've been around since late 2014, and i've played through and witnessed the development of both I&A2 and I&A3, so my opinions and viewpoints may be drastically different to someone who has just played I&A4 for the very first time.

I want to begin with starting on the ethos of what Ahoyworld, and more specifically Invade and Annex is. Invade and Annex has always pride itself on being casual, open and as least restricitve as possible, so you can join in, play for 10 minutes, 20 minutes an hour or six, and all gear is at disposal to you (except a few class restricted Arsenal restrictions) and powerful assets such as tanks that can be obtained through playing side missions. Moreover, you can play how you like, be it lonewolfing or in a squad. And it has worked. It's what has differentiated us from the likes of the 77th, and I believe is the main reason why a lot of us aren't just playing there. I believe that I&A4 has took the ethos Invade and Annex was founded upon, and has threw it away.

Before I begin the negatives, lets begin with the positives. There are many things I love about I&A4. The increased difficulty, this makes playing boots on the ground so much more intense and enjoyable. The locking of vehicles, which tackles the issue we've had for years of people stealing hunters etc. The ability to play as different factions, (The Beta where we played as CSAT was one of the best experiences i've ever had.) Lastly the purchasing of side rewards, im still a bit hit or miss on it, but overall it sorts the issue of people fighting about "I did this side mission the reward should be mine." and the ability for all players to revive each other is amazing, as crappy medics no longer matter as much.

Now the negatives. Let's begin at base. You go the arsenal and see a lot of the gear you are accustomed to is missing. Uniforms, Weapons, Scopes. You think to yourself "I'm only here for 15 minutes I just wanted to quickly jump in, kill some guys in the AO and leave, but now to get what the gear I really want I have to grind points to get it" granted it's not a lot of points, but it just really shoots players who come here for casual gameplay in the foot, and it just takes away from what I&A should be. All weapons available from the start, except gear that is restricted to certain roles such as marskmans, autoriflemans etc. it really starts to begin to feel like a call of duty or a battlefield, where your gear is restricted behind a paywall of points where you can only get acess to it once you "kill the bad guys" or help your team.

Groups. I understand why it is the way it is, but enforcing a structure on a playerbase that is known and prided on being casual just won't work. There needs to be an understanding that people just want to lonewolf, and should be able to make their own squad and do that, as our ethos promotes allowing players to have their own freedom in an otherwise casual environment. Being tied to alpha, bravo, charlie won't help anything, as players who come to Ahoyworld looking to play alone will lonewolf anyway, regardless of the structure. We aren't the 77th, we don't make you stand in little cute lines at base with your squad, you should be able to ask on side chat if anyone wants to play seriously, then you make your own squad or you can make a squad with just yourself in, we don't need to enforce teamwork, that's not who we are, you should be able to have the choice to play in a group with yourself  or with other people looking for serious gameplay, there needs to be a choice. I'd reccomend just keeping the I&A3 grouping system, it promotes everything we believe in, and I really don't think anyone wanted or asked to be tied to a squad. I understand there are custom squads, but I believe right now they are blocked, but I believe they don't allow for custom naming or anything of that sorts.

Mission Area. I understand you get you more points if you are in the mission area, and less if you are camping on a hill outside of the AO. But why should we force people to have to be in that area to get more points? It's I&A, we are supposed to let people play how they want, it's a casual environment, if you want to sit on a hill and have no tense encounterments than you do you, if you want to run straight in the middle of the AO go ahead, why should we restrict the reward people get depending where they are? some people enjoy laying back on not being neck deep in the action, and that should be fine, we let people decide how they want to play around here and that is fine. we welcome all people and all playstyles, that's the Ahoyworld way.

Framerates. Much worse than I&A3. I'm not an expert or anything but I believe there is just so many scripts and such in I&A4, that optimising for it will be an absolute nightmare. I think I&A4 is just trying to use so many scripts and functions, that it is just absolutely going to tear apart the frames. It was at a point last night where someone was asking to make a zeus mission and they were denied, because the frames were so poor. Frankly I think Zeus missions is what keeps a lot of the players excited about I&A, and if the frames were to be so poor that we can't make them, it's just going to detract overall from the players experience.

Now for some more admin/Zeus stuff. Being unable to use some achilles functions due to the fact it's for "Anti Script Kid measures" is pretty lame. Such simple things such as holding control and left clicking to controlling units and many more achilles functions and such being unavaible, just makes zeusing in I&A4 so bad, to a point where I really don't find using Zeus in I&A4 intuitive anymore. I'd much rather scrap all of these script kid measures to have some of the core achilles functions back, and we have pointed this out to you Ryko, but you seem adament against it. You need to understand that if a public mod/spartan is enquiring to you about this, it's most likely because it's actually constricting them from doing their role properly. I know you are a understaiding person @Ryko, so I hope you will take this board. Moreover other things such as the admin menu not on the scroll wheel and being in the U menu isn't great, and the admin tools being very, very stripped down compared to the I&A3 admin tools. Lastly the teamkill messages are gone, but you did say you would look at putting this back in. Using Zeus is so flawed in I&A4, and it has a few times made me doubt what's the point in having it.

I'll conclude by saying this. Ryko you are an admirable character, but I&A4 just isn't what Invade and Annex prides itself on being. It prides itself on being casual, least restricitive as possible and accomodating to all play styles. I&A4 takes our ethos, and throws it in the bin. We aren't the 77th, and we shouldn't be taking steps to shove teamwork down peoples throats, and we should instead turn our focus to what has always made us stand out, our casual and enjoyable environment. For me, I&A3 is the peak of what our ethos is right now, but I&A4 is soon to be the destroyer of our ethos, unless serious change is made. It's overcomplicated and doesn't need to be. Just take what I&A3 is and work on it, and just add the features that make it enjoyable, such as what I said in the third paragraph.

I hope you read and take this on board @Ryko, and you can see as a veteran I&A player how passionate I am about this.

BUT all that being said.

I still think that it's a good thing that Ahoy's flagship is evolving. We need that in order to keep people interested and coming back for more ArmA.

I think the direction of the evolution is the crux of the issue as this is the point that Ahoy will have to be careful with. and I am more than happy to support a jump forwards, just want to make sure it's in the right direction.

Thank you @Ryko for dedicating so much time to this though and for taking things into consideration when they have been put forwards by the players.

I haven't played a lot of IA4 to give very specific opinion, but after trying it out a bit it's giving me feel a bit confused overall.

About the positive stuff:
-I really love the idea of backpack/vehicle locking, it's fixing one of the problems that's been following IA for a while, which is people messing with your stuff without your permission. I believe most of us in the past experienced some pointless and annoying arguing with people related to that situation, which sometimes even ended with giving up on playing more that day. (I love arma and games overall for giving us possibility to escape from every-day troubles, and I don't feel like having to deal with more of them virtually.)
-New revive system. Feels much better than the previous one and I think it's less buggy when it comes to reviving (I don't recall any situation where I wasn't able to revive someone. In the old revive system problem with reviving is more like everyday situation.) After being shot down you don't end up thinking "Not again..." and can actually hope to get help from someone and enjoy another chance instead of respawning over and over due to lack of medics around or having to deal with 'revive bug' yourself. The only thing you can miss from old revive system is being able to carry/drag someone. In some situations really helpful or even necessary. Still hoping to get it back one day. (#BlameStan)
-Possibility to play other faction than NATO (it brought the feeling of something new to enjoy/use).

For me the new Reward system is the only thing giving me mixed feelings. As @Xwatt mentioned, it has a lot of potential to fix the problem with side mission rewards and people fighting over them. I also think the system should include only vehicles, without any additional gear to purchase (about that below).

Now the negatives:
-Limited arsenal. Unlimited arsenal (kind of unlimited) is one of the main things you love IA for. It gives you the ability to approach the ongoing mission however you want, in your own style. You can easily change your style wherever you get bored of it or when you need to. There's a lot to choose from. That's why I don't like the idea of including any gear in the reward system, feels like they just took away some freedom from you. The only place where gear limitation fits and works well from my perspective are zeus missions. For IA it can get quite monotonous.
-Groups and roles is the thing that confuses me most. Every time I look at the groups panel it feels so illegible, and I just end up reading whole group panel few times in a row just to figure out which role is free to take. Maybe that's just the lack of colors and specific style to make it a bit more readable, but I guess that could be changed.
-More points for being in the area of operations. It feels like it would reward players for choosing more aggresive playstyle, which can lead to a bit of greedyness when it comes to points. I just imagined how it would work for friendly armor. Once you spend some time in the armored squads, you realise quite fast how easily it is to lose any vehicle if you get too close, AI is unforgivable once they spot you (especially now when the AI became more challenging). Whenever you think differently on another day and another approach, they quickly remind you how wrong you were this time, again. Sitting a bit away from the mission area is a common thing to anyone who tries to make some good use of the vehicle as they try to support friendly infantry. Being greedy for points can push many people too far and and they will just end up losing helpful assets. Also, freedom when it comes to playstyle feels a bit like a tradition, something that shouldn't be changed.

I would love to see a good mix between old IA3 and positive aspects of IA4. That could be something to make public server even more enjoyable, bringing a bit of freshness without unnecesary changes to something that works just well. I believe I could get used to the IA4 the way it is now if I had to, but the question is, do I want to? At the moment - not really. That's not something I would get back into every day with some excitement.

Ah, yes. I remember.

Spoiler
On 2/8/2019 at 5:24 PM, ansin11 said:

This is exactly my opinion on the matter as well.
I really shouldn't be talking because I have never played I & A 4 further than the point at which I was first asked to select my role through an ingame custom menu. But what the hell.

The point is that with I & A 4 you've merged Invade & Annex with a (reward) point system somewhat similar to that of other Arma 3 gamemodes (e.g. Exile, Life, KotH) and elements from EU#3 and the result appears to me like something that cannot convey the I & A spirit and feeling that I am used to.

Over the years, Invade & Annex has developed its own sort of... culture, spirit, concept, way and character.

When I connect to EU#1, I'm looking for that experience exclusive to, well, the AhoyWorld EU#1 server. It's easily accessible to all players, with only lightly restricted freedom and (thus) ordered chaos. Arma is a huge sandbox and I & A preserves some of that sandbox even during the live mission, especially with Zeus.

Reveal hidden contents

• You are new to Arma 3? - No problem, you can play I & A with just the most basic knowledge.
  • You are an Arma veteran? - I & A is a relaxed, large scale, dynamic, live sandbox for you. It even has its own meta to work with and optimize for.
  • You want to be alone? - No problem. Just make your very own private group. Or stay out of groups altogether. You can even solo a vehicle if you want. Or a (side) mission. If you can.
  • You want teamplay? - Entirely possible, you'll just have to find people who also want teamplay. That's probably the more difficult part on EU#1.
  • You don't have a lot of time? - No problem, the I & A gameplay is not even split up into matches or rounds, join and leave as you please. And you can still play any role, gear or vehicle you like, you don't have to unlock it first. It just needs to be available.
  • You want to experience some of Arma's possibilities? - Sure thing, you can fly aircraft, use tanks or provide fire support with an OPFOR sniper rifle. It's all there, on one server, in one mission.

These are just some very basic aspects, there are others. Let's use that annoying @ansin11 dude for illustration:

Ansin knows a lot about Arma 3, it's just that he's inherently bad at it. Well, no problem, on EU#1 he's not playing PvP and he can also just do his own thing. For example, he likes to fly in Arma. Since his skills are not abysmal enough to ruin the fun of other players, he qualifies for an EU#1 pilot slot. So the only limiting factors for him flying are wether he wants to fly or not and wether there's a free pilot slot or not. You might ask: "Why doesn't he just fly in the editor?" - Well because its quite boring. The environment doesn't change, the situation doesn't change, the AI doesn't care about you flying them somewhere and so on and so forth. EU#1 offers that unique experience where you can pretty much do what you want (with your aircraft) plus it also offers that interesting dynamic situation where you get shot dead by enemies if you make stupid decisions. This makes flying a whole lot less boring. EU#1 also offers passengers, making ansin's flying less pointless and more engaging. During the routine and easy parts of the flight he can chat with some of the regulars and witness people on EU#1 being... people on EU#1. Overall, quite entertaining.

Bonus feature: ansin can ragequit when he's had enough and nobody is going to care. No matchmaking ban. He doesn't even lose any XP. Nice.

On EU#1, you can do whatever you want. The only restrictions are the arsenal restrictions (to provide some basic form of sense and immersion) and the very loose rules designed to preserve that freedom to play any way you want to for all players equally.

Like I said, it's a big sandbox. You can crashland your helicopter and suddenly half the server joins forces for a rescue effort against the evil Zeus. Unlikely, but entirely possible. Or you can just blow the bird up and respawn. Which is technically against the rules, but in more than 90% of cases nobody is going to care. That is the amazing and unique potential I & A offers.

Something new, change and innovation are necessary and should not be stopped by people like me, but, in my opinion, some details of the I & A 4 concept seem more like proofs of concept, technical gimmick and showing what can be done. There sure are missions where all these things would be very cool, but as for Invade & Annex, I am afraid that these changes restrict the ease of access and the freedom I & A offers, even though they should actually only add to it.

That's why I am not happy with what's being developed here and why I don't want to support it.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:19 AM, Admiralbumfluff said:

Using Zeus needs some polishing.

Not a fan of Zeus's being unable to do anything but Zeus when in the slot and being unable to use Zeus without messing in the "u" menu when in different slots.

The point of the Zeus squad is that it's intended for Staff players to deliberately recuse themselves from gameplay.  You don't show up on the map, enemy AI won't target you, and you get a whack of reward points that you can use to reward individual players.

Not being in the Zeus squad in no way impairs staff's ability to use Zeus powers.  It's tied to your UID, not your squad.  So if you are playing, and you need to pop into Zeus to fix something, you are able to do so.

I know there is that thing that kicks Zeus's in I&A3 but I prefer it's simplicity.

If someone - anyone - can point me to anything that prevents this issue - namely, all Zeus users being kicked at random intervals - I'll gladly implement it.  We've asked Bohemia, notable coders, everyone's stumped.  Yes, there are some drawbacks with the system I've implemented to get around that - namely, that a Zeus module is dynamically generated when you ask for one - and you've hit the main one, that when you leave Zeus, your module is destroyed, along with the links to items that you've spawned.  That said, there's nothing that stops you from using Achilles to add objects in Zeus to bring them right back into your interface.

For some reason the admin tools are in the u menu ?? No idea why as scroll wheel makes so much more sense. It's easier to activate and allows you to still be in the game whilst doing admin stuff.

It's to clean up the interface, following a theme of simplicity.  Also, putting it in the admin menu gives me a lot more flexibility to do things like respawn specific vehicles, sent hint messages to players, etc.  Stuff I can't do within the context of the scroll menu without several layers of sub-menus.

There is no provision for that as you cannot play whilst in one of those slots. AI can't see you, you don't show on map.

See above

I honestly think 4 is over complicated far too locked down to be any fun. This kind of restriction is what you get on the MSO or game night missions when they have a purpose and a set objective.

Feel free to elaborate.  We've already eased a whole lot of restrictions we started with based on feedback, and if you can point to specific things, I'm happy to discuss them.  Many of the things people do complain about (long spawn times, role-based gear restrictions) are there for long-debated and resolved reasons, but if you have new points to consider, don't hesitate.

I'm sorry to be such a Negative Nancy but there are so many issues and so many needlessly complicated bits of it that if 4 ever does go live it will make it so much less fun to play and less engaging for an audience that is not a bunch of dudes into their paperwork.

Please elaborate... I find the paperwork comment very confusing

On 9/28/2019 at 7:34 AM, Xwatt said:

now to get what the gear I really want I have to grind points to get it"

As of ... two versions ago?  This is no longer the case.  All role-specific purchasable weapons are now by default "purchased" which means they can be armed straight from the arsenal.  Based on a discussion we all had, no less...

understand there are custom squads, but I believe right now they are blocked, but I believe they don't allow for custom naming or anything of that sorts.

It's never been my intention to force people into absolutely predetermined squads, that's why I have the custom squads functionality.  It's not something I can test on my own for obvious reasons, so every beta test I am responding to how it chooses to break (and it almost always does).  Custom naming of squads had led us into more than one ban situation thanks to people's creative choice of naming, or using the names for advertisement, and apart from the lolz, I can't see a great reason to have something which is just one more thing we have to enforce.  If people don't want to play here because they can't name their custom squad D1CK BOIZ I'm not sure we're worse of without them.

But why should we force people to have to be in that area to get more points?

There's no great way for me to determine who's "participating" in the mission or not, apart from their proximity to the bad guys.  And generally, if they're sniping targets or destroying vehicles from over a kilometer away (the current threshold for when you are participating or not), you're outside the AI's capacity to engage you back, so I don't know if that's worth rewarding.  You'll still get points for kills, you just won't get your share of the mission objective reward points, which frankly, aren't going to be as much as vehicle kill points anyway.

Framerates. Much worse than I&A3.

The part that says Beta test is there for a reason... optimization is where we are right now, and it gets a little better every version.  This is a long discussion but suffice it to say I don't want 4 running at lower frame rates, the whole point here was for better performance by culling old/bad code, and if it's a matter of streamlining / removing features to get back to good performance, than that's what happens.

On 9/28/2019 at 2:08 PM, poker said:

That's why I don't like the idea of including any gear in the reward system, feels like they just took away some freedom from you.

See above... by default, all role-specific gear is considered purchased at mission start.  Gear like non-faction weaponry still needs to be purchased at this point, but I suppose if there's overwhelming demand that you should be able to leave the NATO base decked out in complete CSAT gear and weaponry, well, we can go there.

Groups and roles is the thing that confuses me most

I'm not an expert with UI, and Arma doesn't give you a ton of options.  If someone's got a better flair for it than me, I welcome the assistance to overhaul it.  What I'm most concerned with is creating an interface that is easy to understand and intuitive.  I clearly have not gotten there, because we get the question every session, how do I join a role? despite several layers of hints, suggestions and tooltips.  Remember that the whole point of this system is so that people don't have to go back to the lobby to take a different role, which is a major perk in my opinion, as well it is a bit more stable (in some ways) than Arma's stock system.  (and yes, much more unstable in others, I will fully concede).

More points for being in the area of operations.

Well, this is the hardest part of balancing the mission, I've got Xwatt saying we need to not punish players for being outside the AO, and you suggesting we need to reduce the reward for players being inside the AO :)  Neither of you is wrong, it's just a matter of balancing how to reward players.  I welcome your suggestions.

On 9/28/2019 at 4:37 PM, ansin11 said:

I really shouldn't be talking because I have never played I & A 4 further than the point at which I was first asked to select my role through an ingame custom menu. But what the hell.

Ah yes.

ah yes. constructive critisism from those that play the mission is useful. those that havent, not so much