Enhanced Server Update - Feedback

If you've not seen our newspost yet, please check it out here.

Please post general feedback here, in regards to the changes outlined in the newspost.

If you have ideas that were not mentioned, please consider making a separate thread if you feel it warrants deeper discussion.

Thank you.

Ps here is the future modset once the changes are implamented (ghost):

AWE_future_update.png

3 minutes ago, Stanhope said:

Anything else changing or just the mods?

For now, only the repo will be changing.  Stiletto will need to be reverted slightly but no major reworks are being planned at this time.

Further down the line, we are looking towards expanding the variety of gamemodes/missions available on AWE, but that's really all I can say on that at this time.

Is there a view about tweaking the ACE medical system? Playing the medic role is fun, but right now it's not really challenging as you get insta-killed often. I know that you can change that to a bleedout system.

That could also motivate teamplay and reduce lonewolfing and squadplay. A medevac team could also be useful.

Just thought of 2 more things: 

-What's going to be in the arsenal?  Will it only be RHS stuff or will there also be vanilla stuff in there?  (I'm obviously not talking about things that RHS or ACE simply do not have but about things like MXes, the underwater rifle, ...)

-Will we be using some more vanilla vehicles like the rhino, slammer, kuma, hunter, strider, ...?

9 hours ago, Stanhope said:

Just thought of 2 more things: 

-What's going to be in the arsenal?  Will it only be RHS stuff or will there also be vanilla stuff in there?  (I'm obviously not talking about things that RHS or ACE simply do not have but about things like MXes, the underwater rifle, ...)

-Will we be using some more vanilla vehicles like the rhino, slammer, kuma, hunter, strider, ...?

So, I've been pressing for more vanilla gameplay for the past week or so, as you may have noticed. My personal hope is still to succeed with a multiple faction/arsenal system, in which case we would certainly have 2035 options.

This, however, is not as easy as dropping some mods to focus on gameplay and until the decision has been made on the future of AWE's mission (be in Stiletto or not), we will likely have to keep using Zeus arsenals.

10 hours ago, Joebillibob said:

Is there a view about tweaking the ACE medical system? Playing the medic role is fun, but right now it's not really challenging as you get insta-killed often. I know that you can change that to a bleedout system.

That could also motivate teamplay and reduce lonewolfing and squadplay. A medevac team could also be useful.

This was briely discussed and could certianly be a re-discussed at a later date.

It's possible, I know there are AW members who would opt for a system similar to that of Kenny's MSO.

10 hours ago, JANXOL said:

Personally I would keep BAF and FIR as well. I feel like the main mod that really needs to go is CUP, that's most of the dead weight.

Discussion was made regarding BAF, however due to the nature of the AWE "clean-slate" being focused around gameplay over content, BAF can easily be seen to simply re-skin much of the content we already have. For example, playing as British Army with L85A2s + ACOGs really doesen't offer any more interesting gameplay than playing United States Marines with M4s + ACOGs.

I believe there is always the possibility of mod reintroduction, but certainly not until the new direction of AWE is solid in its foundation (gameplay > content). For now, RHS and vanilla should certainly suffice, especially now that we will likely use both of them to their full potential.

13 hours ago, Johnson said:

Discussion was made regarding BAF, however due to the nature of the AWE "clean-slate" being focused around gameplay over content, BAF can easily be seen to simply re-skin much of the content we already have. For example, playing as British Army with L85A2s + ACOGs really doesen't offer any more interesting gameplay than playing United States Marines with M4s + ACOGs.

I believe there is always the possibility of mod reintroduction, but certainly not until the new direction of AWE is solid in its foundation (gameplay > content). For now, RHS and vanilla should certainly suffice, especially now that we will likely use both of them to their full potential.

I can't say I'm happy about this. Here's hoping things improve and some of the mods can be reintroduced.

23 hours ago, JANXOL said:

I can't say I'm happy about this. Here's hoping things improve and some of the mods can be reintroduced.

We know that we're never going to make a change that absolutely everyone agrees with, and it's important that we continue to receive feedback, good and bad.  We don't want people to be afraid of saying something because it's "against the grain".  Otherwise how will we know where to look towards improving things?

That being said, this first step is intentionally drastic, everyone is going to have a very surreal experience their first time playing with a modset that's half the size.  And yes, as was mentioned before, there's always the possibility of reintroducing things down the line, but we would definitely like to see the dust settle first after these changes have been made.

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

We know that we're never going to make a change that absolutely everyone agrees with, and it's important that we continue to receive feedback, good and bad.  We don't want people to be afraid of saying something because it's "against the grain".  Otherwise how will we know where to look towards improving things?

That being said, this first step is intentionally drastic, everyone is going to have a very surreal experience their first time playing with a modset that's half the size.  And yes, as was mentioned before, there's always the possibility of reintroducing things down the line, but we would definitely like to see the dust settle first after these changes have been made.

I understand what you mean. And just to clarify: I'm not saying I don't agree with that decision or its reasons. I'm saying I will be sad to see some of mods gone. That's just my my personal feelings. But as it's meant to make things better in the end, I understand the decision to cut these mods, and I am not opposed to it.

• Xwatt unpinned this topic