AWE Status

1 minute ago, Ryko said:

@J0hnson I don't disagree with your premise.  And indeed I'm sure that's how EU3 evolved.  But like anything, it wasn't like someone set off saying "let's start a server with 26GB of mods", rather, it evolved over time as people suggested more and more mods be added to the repo.  It's like the frog being slowly boiled.

I can understand, and there's honestly so much I would have done differently or in my own way - not to say that I was never massively unhappy.

I way of making sure this issue wouldn't happen again, should AWE start again, would be to define a set direction, theme, playstyle etc etc; another thing that was missing and defiantly needed.

1 minute ago, Noah_Hero said:

My problem is the ruined immersion by tons of different gear. So if we use slightly modded I&A4 instead of AWE I am all for it because the arsenal is faction specific.?

AWE has never been about hardcore immersion, EU6 was created to tailor towards those players.

But what is wrong with the current mission just people doesn't like the fact they have to download before playing, but I have never seen this issue with any other community.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

The current situation is no one is playing not anything about downloading mods or anything. If you can't decide on anything other than it's ok as it is, because clearly it's not :)

From what I spoke to @GhostDragon about earlier on, the way I personally would do it is:

EU#2 - lightly modded (TFAR, ACE, small miscalanious non-content mods to get people into the swing of the teamplay and such)

EU#3 - medium modded (using RHS as a core content mod then building off it with FIR, NIArms and other smaller mods to fill in the gaps of gear, still main focus on gameplay not mods)

The current situation is no one is playing not anything about downloading mods or anything. If you can't decide on anything other than it's ok as it is, because clearly it's not default_smile.png
Ye but also what I'm currently seeing is that if we made the gear faction specific then what.?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, J0hnson said:

EU#3 - medium modded (using RHS as a core content mod then building off it with FIR, NIArms and other smaller mods to fill in the gaps of gear, still main focus on gameplay not mods)

That sounds like something that could please everyone. Once this is done, we balance everything without going overboard.

26 minutes ago, Ryko said:

It's like the frog being slowly boiled.

Completely off-topic but you do know that the brains of those frogs were removed before the experiment you're referencing right?  (Wiki page for reference)

54 minutes ago, MoonFire said:

But EU4 would it just end up like last time?

Different mission, more than 2 years later and a whole bunch of other things that have changed.  So there is no real way of knowing I think.

4 minutes ago, Stanhope said:

Completely off-topic but you do know that the brains of those frogs were removed before the experiment you're referencing right?  (Wiki page for reference)

Different mission, more than 2 years later and a whole bunch of other things that have changed.  So there is no real way of knowing I think.

There is one way: trying it. Would this require a lot of effort? (It was not meant sarcastically, i really don't know if it is a lot of work) If it is, then i understand the reluctance.

Either way, it's worth a shot.

1 hour ago, J0hnson said:

I would love a fresh start with less focus on keeping people interested through mods and instead do this through gameplay, teamplay and general server discipline.

Something like the I&A4 with TFAR / ACE would surely cater to this premise. We can also not ignore the fact that the "other" place that does basically I&A2 with vanilla arsenal (I'm sure someone will correct me here) quite regularly fills two servers by focusing on team play and discipline. 

The core of AWE is for me ACE and TFAR as Johnson suggested. But I wouldn't play with vanilla gear and vehicles. I like to play as USMC/US-Arm/BAF. So having some of that gear in place to play as those factions is what AWE is for me. I don't give a rats ass about all the operator BS and the huge selection of random countries camo.

What still strikes me as odd is how special AWE is in terms of gameplay, banter and possibilities within Stiletto, yet nobody catches on to it? Stilleto offers so much more than just going to OBJ1 and then going on to OBJ2. Remember when we first used to scout out a few towns, talk to civs and set up a FOB before we went to the OBJ?

On that note, I'd happily run a GN to see what the turn-up is. Just need to figure out how it all works again... Ya know, putting a mission down on Stilleto as a backbone I used to enjoy. I don't think any of the Prometheus maps would still work. But damn, those were good times :)

What made AWE/EU3 what it was back in the glory days was its sense of camaraderie inside the community.

With little mods back in the early days of ArmA 3, people didn't argue about what mod we need and which one we didn't, a want for good gameplay succeeded all other demands.

I think it goes without saying that now, we aren't quite as thankful for what we have and I've said it for years that AhoyWorld has got the golden ticket with this server.

Personally, I strongly believe that a hard restart of the entire staff structure, mod set, mission and general direction and theme of the AWE server needs to be revised. I say this with pure unbiased honesty purely because I want this server to do well. I want it to be what it was and I want it to be a thing where people want to come on regularly, rather than being forced to play at certain times just to have enough players to fill a fireteam.

We need leadership for the server that takes a direction and sticks to it, without being easily manipulated by friends of the community for the sake of attending to the needs of a few. Whom should also be a regular player within the community and server and can lead by example rather than throwing ideas on a paper airplane from the back of the room. A complete revision of the servers mod pack will also not only "lighten" it, but it will keep a common theme within the server that players can stick to and feel more rewarded by the sense of achievement when utilizing an underdog faction with lesser gear opposed to another faction that may include more. @Amentes said it before, I feel that separate factions are useless now as all it brings is a different flag to the base. Where as, if we had separate factions utilizing different equipment, we will experience different gameplay every time!

Stiletto is a simply beautiful mission, however over time with every individual player wanting something done, I feel that it's developed some form of arthritis. I myself and others may not be opposed to an Alive based system which factually, will bring different gameplay that is somewhat more relevant to the earlier days of EU3 where one must share gear with others and keep stocks of what one has. This would bring an entirely new element to leadership and overall gameplay, however I can understand the restraints of Alive in a server such as AWE.

We come here to play together and have a good time, I just feel that people have been spoiled by having each of their own tastes satisfied and thus expect a different experience from each other rather than a mutual one across the whole board. It may sound silly but I shall quote David from the old days of AhoyWorld, "This is not a democracy." He was entirely right, a gaming community does not survive through democracy anymore and I strongly believe that whichever direction AhoyWorld is taken in (hopefully a clearly and factually smart one), it should be forced heavily upon the others whom must learn to adapt to it and enjoy it with others.

Trying to satisfy everyone by giving them all the toys is what has brought the decline in this server I feel and now the community is simply throwing the toys out of the pram and wanting more.

>Strip the mods

>Strip the current leader

>Restart and employ fresh tactics

I believe this is the smartest decision for the server, a smart change is the only way forward and I personally believe that change can only benefit the community and server rather than leaving it out to dry. This however, is just my humble opinion.

My question to the community is this;

Do you want the server to change and if it succeeds it shall gain more player base and community camaraderie in the process as well as a new sense of gameplay? Where as if it fails, it will be no worse than it is now.

Or

Do you want the server to stay the same and wait for it to naturally get better on its own, expecting the community to return and that the gameplay and features of the server are fine as it is?

I don't care what kit you run. I don't care what is in your arsenal. The reason I don't play AWE anymore is (I think this is fair to say) some of the best zeuses we had (one of them is here now \o/) left. I'm not all for doing the scripted missions, stiletto can be fun but it needs the right people imo. I just don't join because none of the old random nights when KPJ would come on and say "You want a zeus?". If we had more people like this I would love it, but obviously, this opinion is from months ago when ShadowAce was only starting, but it sounds to me like it still sort of exists ?‍♀️ I will copy Lost now

2 minutes ago, McKillen said:

I don't care what kit you run. I don't care what is in your arsenal. The reason I don't play AWE anymore is (I think this is fair to say) some of the best zeuses we had (one of them is here now \o/) left. I'm not all for doing the scripted missions, stiletto can be fun but it needs the right people imo. I just don't join because none of the old random nights when KPJ would come on and say "You want a zeus?". If we had more people like this I would love it, but obviously, this opinion is from months ago when ShadowAce was only starting, but it sounds to me like it still sort of exists ?‍♀️ I will copy Lost now

Zeusing cannot be random now. You have to ask weeks in advance to host as Zeus. I understand the staff position to not give access to everyone other than moderators to avoid abusers. Having trusted zeus without having to moderate would be nice tho.

2 hours ago, McKillen said:

Thank you ❤️
I had people message me begging at one point for me to spice it up... I truely don't know what it was that I did well...

One thing that annoyed me personally was when Zeusing was done when nobody requested it, there was a few nights when things just appeared to be rather random....

That said, my return to AWE for now I can only say is probably going to be a fluke, I don't know how long it will last. I wouldn't want to attempt to pick up a moderator position, but if I stay, and player count goes up, I may run a GN at some point... But don't count on it.

13 hours ago, Joebillibob said:

Zeusing cannot be random now. You have to ask weeks in advance to host as Zeus. I understand the staff position to not give access to everyone other than moderators to avoid abusers. Having trusted zeus without having to moderate would be nice tho.

Just for reference: Zeusing was never random but there where a few moderators like KPJ who did great missions just midweek-straight-outta-nowhere within Stiletto/AWE, or just stopped the mission-AI and builded a completely new random mission from scratch but before you joined the server there was a bit of ranting and rage-quitting so now we have no more of them left.

Sorry I did not cater to your liking Jonhson. Prometheus was very experimental and was mostly driven by the ways of insertion. Gotta admit that I don't have experience as a tank crew or even as Vortex, so didn't know in advance how that would play out.

I don't know what I did wrong for you on other times as Zeus, so far you're the only one who openly speaks out about that. I don't understand why I suddenly deserve all that salt, though.

30 minutes ago, Karate Pyjamas said:

I don't understand why I suddenly deserve all that salt, though.

Well it's all very simple you see; Tanks < Towns.

And I think it was before your Aliens campaign.

I'm not really bothered by it tough, I don't think Zuesing should be the direction of this discussion. The mission placed on AWE should not require Zuesing to keep people happy, it should be interesting and engaging by itself.

11 hours ago, J0hnson said:

@Karate Pyjamas I don't miss your gamenights or your Zuesing.

get_imagesdds.php.jpeg

Remember that? Yeah that was a great gamenight for us lads. Loved getting executed on Al Jazeera too, cherry on the top. @Minipily

a bit aggresive don't you think @J0hnson?

If you really wanted to keep AWE alive, you should be reforming old bonds with former players of the community instead of telling them that you don't miss them. It's that same pessimistic value that drove most of the players away in the first place. And when they come back and turn to this thread to see you treating them in this manner, i'm not surprised that they wouldn't want to return back to AWE.

Set an example. Don't be the example of what people don't want in the community.